Maximizing Ruby Revenue: Price for Optimal Sales

• Thread starter tony873004
  • Start date
In summary, the demand for rubies is given by the equation q = -4/3p + 80, where p is the price and q is the number of rubies sold each week. To maximize weekly revenue, the rubies should be sold at a price of $30 each. This may be a typo in the book, as the demand formula does not make sense and leads to an infinite revenue when the price is increased.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The demand for rubies is given by the equation
[tex]
q = \frac{4}{3}p + 80
[/tex]

where p is the price and q is the number of rubies sold each week. At what price should the rubies be sold to maximize weekly revenue?

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
R = pq \\
R = p\left( {\frac{4}{3}p + 80} \right) \\
R = \frac{4}{3}p^2 + 80p \\
\\
R' = \frac{8}{3}p + 80 \\
\\
\frac{8}{3}p + 80 = 0 \\
\\
\frac{8}{3}p = - 80 \\
\\
p = \frac{{ - 80}}{{\left( {\frac{8}{3}} \right)}} = \frac{{ - 240}}{8} = - 30 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
To maximize weekly revenue, they should give away the rubies and $30 per rubie. (Obviously wrong. The back of the book says $30)

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like by the second derivative of R with respect to P that actually minimizes the revenue. To maximize revenue then would be to choose the highest price possible. The demand formula doesn't make sense to begin with because it implies that you sell more rubies as the price goes up on rubies, so a strange answer doesn't seem out of the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
This doesn't make any sense.

q = 4/3p + 80

So when you increase the price you sell more rubies? In that case you would maximize weekly revenue by selling an infinite number of rubies. Either I'm not understanding you correctly, or you are missing a minus sign in that formula, try something like:

q = -4/3p + 80

and see how that works.

EDIT: That seems to give you the right answer, it must be a typo in the book.

~Lyuokdea

Last edited:
To go along with what Lyokdea said, you also know something is wrong when you look at your equation for revenue that you're trying to maximize: R=4/3p2+80p. This function clearly has no absolute maximum; only a minimum. (It's an upwards-opening parabola)

tony873004 said:
The demand for rubies is given by the equation
[tex]
q = \frac{4}{3}p + 80
[/tex]

where p is the price and q is the number of rubies sold each week. At what price should the rubies be sold to maximize weekly revenue?

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
R = pq \\
R = p\left( {\frac{4}{3}p + 80} \right) \\
R = \frac{4}{3}p^2 + 80p \\
\\
R' = \frac{8}{3}p + 80 \\
\\
\frac{8}{3}p + 80 = 0 \\
\\
\frac{8}{3}p = - 80 \\
\\
p = \frac{{ - 80}}{{\left( {\frac{8}{3}} \right)}} = \frac{{ - 240}}{8} = - 30 \\
\end{array}
[/tex]
To maximize weekly revenue, they should give away the rubies and $30 per rubie. (Obviously wrong. The back of the book says $30)
:rofl: :rofl: You made me laugh out loud with your last sentence :biggrin:

Are you sure that the first equation should not read -4/3p+80?
With the equation you gave, increasing the price keeps increasing the number sold, which is weird. And notice that your function for R is concave upward..Taking the price to infinity will lead to infinite revenues!
(what you found is actually the minimum).

If the equation for R was -4/3p + 80 it would fix everything and make sense now. Maybe a typo in the book?

Patrick

Last edited:
sorry, I was blind and didn't see the negative sign. -4/3p + 80. Sorry for the inconvenience.

If the euqation for R was -3/4p + 80 it would fix everything and make sense now. Maybe a typo in the book?

nrged, you mean -4/3p + 80, not -3/4p right? That's what came out to match his answer when I ran through the math.

~Lyuokdea

dav2008 said:
To go along with what Lyokdea said, you also know something is wrong when you look at your equation for revenue that you're trying to maximize: R=4/3p2+80p. This function clearly has no absolute maximum; only a minimum. (It's an upwards-opening parabola)
I really need to learn to spot stuff like this rather than just diving straight into the formulas.

Lyuokdea said:
nrged, you mean -4/3p + 80, not -3/4p right? That's what came out to match his answer when I ran through the math.

~Lyuokdea
Yes, absolutely. I will correct it. That was a typo. Thanks for letting me know.
And sorry for having repeated what you said, I just saw your post after I sent mine.

Regards

If you were a jeweller giving away free rubies plus $30, I'll take whatever you got. :rofl:

1. What is the optimal price for maximizing Ruby revenue?

The optimal price for maximizing Ruby revenue will depend on various factors, such as production costs, market demand, and competitor prices. A thorough analysis of these factors can help determine the most profitable price point for your Ruby sales.

2. How do I determine the market demand for Ruby?

Market demand for Ruby can be determined through market research, such as surveys and focus groups, as well as analyzing sales data and trends in the industry. This information can give insight into how much consumers are willing to pay for Ruby and how much they are currently buying.

3. How can I lower the production costs of Ruby to increase revenue?

To lower production costs, you can consider various strategies such as finding more cost-effective suppliers, improving production processes to increase efficiency, and reducing unnecessary expenses. It is important to balance cost-saving measures with maintaining the quality of your Ruby products.

4. Should I adjust the price of Ruby based on competitor prices?

Adjusting the price of Ruby based on competitor prices can be a good strategy to stay competitive in the market. However, it is important to consider your own production costs and market demand before making any price adjustments. Simply matching your competitors' prices may not always be the most profitable option.

5. How often should I review and adjust the price of Ruby for optimal sales?

It is recommended to regularly review and adjust the price of Ruby to stay competitive and maximize revenue. This could be done on a quarterly or bi-annual basis, depending on market trends and changes in production costs. It is important to stay up-to-date with the market and make adjustments as needed to maintain optimal sales.