Do the admins know that LaTeX ain't working?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter rbj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, when posting LaTeX-containing content, the images may be displayed for a brief period of time after the post is created, but they are eventually replaced with the original images.
rbj
here's a test:

[tex] \mbox{erf}(x) \equiv \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]
if this shows up in the "red letter edition", i hope the good folks making this forum happen can take notice.

if the LaTeX math shows up okay, then the problem is very, very weird because a post of mine simply in the Classical Physics forum will not display the TeX.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
yet another test...

[tex] \int_{a}^{b} f(x) dx [/tex]

EDIT: Doesn't work for me either. :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
[tex]\LaTeX[/tex] should be back in business. We had just forgotten to install some non-standard TeX packages on the server.

- Warren

another test:

[tex] \mbox{erf}(x) \equiv \frac{2}{\sqrt{\pi}}\int_0^x e^{-t^2} dt [/tex]

EDIT: okay it works. why is it that the old posts that were posted when LaTeX was not working still do not show the math? it's the same source. does it interpret the source only once when posted and not ever again?

Last edited:
I think it generates the images from the source when it's posted. See if clicking "edit" regenerates the LaTex when you save it (I don't think you actually have to edit anything, just go into the edit window).

Indeed, the images are generated only once, when the latex is posted. Afterward, they are simply displayed as inline images in the posts.

You might even notice that posting takes a second or two longer than normal when the post contains a lot of latex.

- Warren

Hey, Integral, what did you do to my post to make the Latex work? Did I goof up the tags? I actually did as Moonbear said, but it was still the red-coloured message.

Interesting.~^

I edited a couple of messages to see if I could get LaTex to work. All I ever saw was the red error text! So I am not sure what happened!

Keep in mind that many browsers try to cache the old version of the image, even after you've created a new one by editing your post.

Come to think of it, there's a quick workaround for this (which will, um, probably work) that I should investigate...

- Warren

1. Why isn't LaTeX working on my computer?

There could be several reasons why LaTeX is not working on your computer. Some common reasons include incorrect installation, missing or outdated packages, or conflicts with other software on your computer.

2. Is there a way to fix LaTeX if it's not working?

Yes, there are several ways to fix LaTeX if it's not working. You can try reinstalling the software, updating packages, or troubleshooting any conflicts with other software. You can also consult online forums or reach out to the LaTeX community for help.

3. How do I know if the admins are aware that LaTeX is not working?

If you are experiencing issues with LaTeX, you can check with the admins of the platform or software you are using. They may have posted updates or notices about any known issues with LaTeX. You can also reach out to them directly to inquire about the issue.

4. Is LaTeX not working a common problem?

LaTeX is a widely used software for typesetting mathematical and scientific documents, so it is not uncommon for there to be occasional issues with its functionality. However, most of these issues can be resolved with troubleshooting or seeking help from the community.

5. Can I use an alternative to LaTeX if it's not working?

Yes, there are several alternative software options for typesetting mathematical and scientific documents, such as Microsoft Word or Google Docs. However, if you are comfortable with LaTeX and prefer its features, it may be worth trying to fix any issues before switching to an alternative.