More options when searching forums

• Thread starter neutrino
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of sorting through a large number of search results when looking for specific content on a forum. The idea of adding a feature to search for specific combinations of words or using Google as an alternative method is also mentioned.
neutrino
Whenever I search for a combination of words, say, for a review of a certain book by typing the subject/title and author name, I get a huge list of posts with either the author's name or subject, or both. I only require posts that feature both, and it takes quite a long time to wade through all of them; and in this forum the number of irrelevant search results can be quite large (think about all those homework problems that only have the subject name! :bugeye: ). So, would it be possible to add a feature that would search for "All words," "Any of the words," and so on? Or are there any "tricks," other than using Google :wink:, that can filter posts that has all words?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, it would be nice if our search function worked better. I almost always get 500+ responses to my queries, most of which are irrelevant.

But I've found Google to be not bad for searching PF. (Limit the search domain to this site, of course.) If nothing else, it's fast.

Maybe we can add a Google button to our toolbar (for searching on PF)?

What are the different options available when searching forums?

The most common options when searching forums include searching by keyword, date, user, and forum category. Some forums may also have advanced search options such as filtering by tags or specific fields.

How can I narrow down my search results when using forums?

To narrow down your search results, you can use specific keywords, add quotation marks around phrases, use Boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT), and use the advanced search options to filter by date, user, or category.

Why are my search results not relevant to my query?

There could be a few reasons why your search results are not relevant. Make sure you are using specific keywords and not too many words in your search query. Also, check if the forum has an option to sort results by relevance rather than date.

Can I search for specific posts or threads within a forum?

Yes, most forums have an option to search for specific posts or threads within a forum. You can usually find this option in the advanced search settings or by using specific keywords or phrases in your search query.

Is there a way to save my search preferences for future use?

Many forums have a feature that allows users to save their search preferences for future use. This can be helpful if you frequently search for specific topics or want to save time when searching for certain content.