Tonight's Full Moon 12 Percent Bigger

In summary: Car. Manufacturer.)In summary, the Moon will be almost 12 percent bigger than some of the full Moons this year.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Worth taking a look at tonight.

"Tonight's full Moon will be almost 12 percent bigger than some of the full Moons this year, according to NASA, setting up a fine viewing opportunity when it rises in the evening.

The reason: The Moon is near perigee, the point on its slightly out-of-round orbit that is closest to Earth."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20061006/sc_space/tonightsfullmoon12percentbigger

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks Evo!

A few weeks ago my friend and I were driving home at night from Georgetown and the moon was HUGE we were like whoaaaaaaaaa..

I wonder if that means werewolves will be 12% hairier tonight.

http://www.moonlightsys.com/themoon/lyrics.html

Moondance -

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
'Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow
And I'm trying to please to the calling
Of your heart-strings that play soft and low
And all the night's magic seems to whisper and hush
And all the soft moonlight seems to shine in your blush
CHORUS:
Can I just have one a' more Moondance with you, my love
Can I just make some more romance with a-you, my love

Well, I want to make love to you tonight
I can't wait 'til the morning has come
And I know that the time is just right
And straight into my arms you will run
And when you come my heart will be waiting
To make sure that you're never alone
There and then all my dreams will come true, dear
There and then I will make you my own
And every time I touch you, you just tremble inside
And I know how much you want me that you can't hide

CHORUS

Repeat 1st Verse

One more Moondance with you in the moonlight
On a magic night
La, la, la, la in the moonlight
On a magic night
Can't I just have one more dance with you my love

----------------------------------------------------
By the Light of the Silvery Moon

By the light of the silvery moon,
I want to spoon, to my honey I'll croon love's tune.
Honeymoon, keep a-shining in June,
Your silvery beams, will bring love dreams,
We'll be cuddling soon,
By the silvery moon.

----------------------------------------------------
Moon River

Moon River, wider than a mile:
I'm crossin' you in style someday.
Old dream maker, you heartbreaker,
Wherever you're goin', I'm goin'your way.
Two drifters, off to see the world.
There's such a lot of world to see.
We're after the same rainbow's end,
Waitin' round the bend,
My huckleberry friend,
Moon River and me.

Thanks for the info! woot... As luck has it, there are clouds right now, everywhere.

Looks like the dusty telescope could be coming out tonight.

Yes, I noticed it was a bit bigger looking than usual tonight as I was driving home. Aaaaaaaaooooooooooooo! :redface: Oops, sorry, couldn't hold back the howl.

Moonbear said:
Yes, I noticed it was a bit bigger looking than usual tonight as I was driving home. Aaaaaaaaooooooooooooo! :redface: Oops, sorry, couldn't hold back the howl.

:rofl: :rofl:

Actually, there's enough light coming from the moon that vampires can expect to get sunburned by the end of the night

Astronuc said:
Moondance -

Well, it's a marvelous night for a Moondance
With the stars up above in your eyes
Cannot. Hear. Without. Feet. Doing. Rumba!

It's fairly cloudy here tonight. Not so thick that you can't tell where the moon is, but not really much of a view.

Still a beautiful night out, though. I'm amazed at the warm weather we've had the last few days. We had our first snow in the mountains just a couple weeks ago.

I just went out side, I live in southern california and the moon is actually average size, smaller then normal really, is it only in a special placE?

I'm worried about the moon getting bigger all of a sudden. Let's hope it doesn't get too heavy all at once and come falling with a crash.

zoobyshoe said:
I wonder if that means werewolves will be 12% hairier tonight.

I'd rather not find out.

Rach3 said:
I'm worried about the moon getting bigger all of a sudden. Let's hope it doesn't get too heavy all at once and come falling with a crash.
Why not? Lots of cheese for us Earthlings.

Wensleydale Grommit?

Evo said:
"Tonight's full Moon will be almost 12 percent bigger than some of the full Moons this year
"...some of the full Moons this year..."
Yeah, the smallest.

It's only going 6 per cent bigger than the average size of the Moon.

This is equivalent to a car manufacturer saying its new car is twice as fuel efficient as of some other vehicles out there.
(Which vehicles? Excuse me? Which vehicles is it twice as fuel efficient as? Oh. Um. The Hummer.)

brewnog said:
Wensleydale Grommit?
Heh, watched the movie a couple of days ago. :biggrin:

At the end of summer (Aug-Sept) we had a full moon, known as the "Harvest Moon" (Shine On...) .. presumably this moon made it easier for farm folks to work late into the evening, bringing in the sheaves of grain.

The next full moon after Harvest one is called "The Hunter's Moon" (Sept-Oct) (the easier to hunt for food by). That is the one visible now. In Indiana (near Purdue) along the Wabash R. (or is that Ouabache :wink:) , this celestial event is celebrated with a "http://www.tcha.mus.in.us/feast.htm " which is a re-creation of the annual fall gathering of the French and Native Americans which took place at place called Fort Ouiatenon, a fur-trading outpost in the mid - 1700s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Harvest Moon

I was out earlier tonight and immediately noticed the full moon. I also noticed that it had a reddish tint to it. I always thought that this reddish tint was caused by an atmospheric phenomenon occurring in fall and this was called a Harvest Moon, i.e. Harvest Moons being an atmospheric phenomenon (color) and not an astronomical one (apparent size).

1. What does it mean when the full moon is said to be 12% bigger?

When the full moon is said to be 12% bigger, it means that the moon appears to be 12% larger than its average size. This is due to the moon's elliptical orbit around the Earth, which causes its distance from Earth to vary. When the full moon occurs at its closest point to Earth (perigee), it is known as a supermoon and appears larger and brighter in the sky.

2. How often does the full moon appear 12% bigger?

The full moon appears 12% bigger when it is a supermoon, which happens about 3-4 times a year. However, the exact size difference can vary depending on the moon's distance from Earth during each perigee, so the moon may not always appear exactly 12% larger.

3. Is the full moon actually physically larger during a supermoon?

No, the full moon does not physically change in size during a supermoon. The perceived increase in size is due to its closer distance to Earth, making it appear larger in the sky. The actual size of the moon remains the same.

4. Does a 12% larger full moon have any impact on Earth?

The slightly larger size of the full moon during a supermoon does not have any significant impact on Earth. However, some studies suggest that supermoons can cause slightly higher tides due to the moon's closer proximity to Earth. This effect is minimal and not noticeable unless you live near the coast.

5. How can I best view a 12% larger full moon?

To view the full moon at its largest during a supermoon, it is best to find a location with an unobstructed view of the horizon, such as an open field or a high vantage point. Additionally, viewing the moon when it is closer to the horizon can create an optical illusion that makes it appear even larger. Lastly, using binoculars or a telescope can enhance your viewing experience and make the supermoon appear even more impressive.