PF Database Issues: What's Causing the Error Message?

• Thread starter JamesU
  • Start date
In summary, there have been frequent database errors and timing out issues on the Physics Forums website, possibly due to a cookie problem. The site's clock also appears to be lagging behind. The administrators are aware of the issues and are working on finding a solution.
JamesU
Gold Member
"Problems with the PF database"

I don't know if this is my computer or not, but after viewing a few threads whenever coming to PF, I get a "There seems to ba a problem with the Physics Forums database" error. Is everyone getting this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I ain't "everyone," but, yeah, I've been getting it --- going on what? Six months or so --- however long it's been that Greg and Warren have been trying to get things to behave. It's almost as if there're timers on the connection, and counters on navigation steps --- n navigation steps, and your connection gets trashed --- clear your cookies and offline content, log back in, and it hasn't dumped the whole site, just you --- I've been wondering whether I should take it personally.

yomamma said:
I don't know if this is my computer or not, but after viewing a few threads whenever coming to PF, I get a "There seems to ba a problem with the Physics Forums database" error. Is everyone getting this?

Yes, the database error and timing out problem have been very frequent for me too. While most of the time they last for a very short time, they occur frequent enough to be rather annoying.

Zz.

We're back again! Feels like a breath of fresh air!

I couldn't even drink my coffee this morning until PF came up. :cry:

Yeah, it's been happening a lot lately.

It appears that the PF clock is lagging even further behind than before.

Zz.

Data for them as can use it --- from 10 minutes ago to whatever the time stamp on this message, "database error." Could go anywhere else on the net --- looks like the site was up.

Is there a cookie problem?

Okay, this time "the bug" wiped out everyone but 23-4 users --- and, let me stay on --- trying to delete duplicates it created of a post --- but, at least it let me stay on. Had to log in for every navigation step in the post deletion process --- part of what has me thinking it's the Keebler Elves or Cookie Monster throwing rancid shredded coconut into the cookies.

We're aware of the problems and working on finding a solution.

1. What is the PF database?

The PF database, also known as the PFam database, is a collection of protein families and domains that are used for the classification and analysis of protein sequences.

2. What are some common problems with the PF database?

Some common problems with the PF database include incomplete or outdated data, errors in protein family classification, and issues with data curation and quality control.

3. How are problems with the PF database addressed?

Problems with the PF database are typically addressed through regular updates and curation by the PFam team, as well as through community involvement and user feedback to identify and correct any issues.

4. Can users contribute to the PF database?

Yes, users can contribute to the PF database by submitting new protein sequences or suggesting updates to existing entries. This helps to improve the accuracy and completeness of the database.

5. How is the PF database used in scientific research?

The PF database is a valuable tool for scientists in a variety of fields, including bioinformatics, genomics, and protein structure prediction. It can be used to identify common protein domains and analyze the evolutionary relationships between different proteins.