Solve V_0 & I_0 in Circuit w/ Nodal Analysis

In summary, the student tried to find V_0 and I_0 in the circuit below, but ran into trouble because the current wires between ground and V_1 and V_3 short out. After doing a KVL loop around the two nodes, V_0 was found to be 120-40=80.
VinnyCee

Homework Statement

Using nodal analysis, find [itex]v_0[/itex] and [itex]I_0[/itex] in the circuit below.

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/7325/chapter3problem301dy.jpg

Homework Equations

KVL, KCL, V = i R, Super-node

The Attempt at a Solution

So I added 3 current variables, 3 node markers ([itex]V_1\,-\,V_3[/itex]), a super node, a ground node, and marked a KVL loop.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/6940/chapter3problem30part26cn.jpg

[tex]V_0\,=\,V_3[/tex] <----- Right?

Now I express the currents:

[tex]I_0\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{40\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]I_1\,=\,\frac{100\,-\,V_1}{10\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]I_2\,=\,\frac{4\,V_0\,-\,V_1}{20\Omega}[/tex]

[tex]I_3\,=\,\frac{V_0}{80\Omega}[/tex]

KCL at [itex]V_1[/itex]:

[tex]I_0\,=\,I_1\,+\,I_2[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{40}\right)\,=\,\left(\frac{100\,-\,V_1}{10}\right)\,+\,\left(\frac{4\,V_3\,-\,V_2}{20}\right)[/tex]

[tex]7\,V_1\,-\,V_2\,-\,8\,V_3\,=\,400[/tex]KCL at super-node:

[tex]I_0\,+\,2\,I_0\,=\,I_3[/tex]

[tex]3\,\left(\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{40}\right)\,-\,\left(\frac{V_0}{80}\right)\,=\,0[/tex]

[tex]6\,V_1\,-\,6\,V_2\,-\,V_3\,=\,0[/tex]KVL inside super-node:

[tex]V_3\,-\,V_2\,=\,120[/tex]Now I put those 3 equations into a matrix and rref to get [itex]V_1\,-\,V_3[/itex].

[tex]\left[\begin{array}{cccc}0&-1&1&120\\7&-1&-8&400\\6&-6&-1&0\end{array}\right]\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,\left[\begin{array}{cccc}1&0&0&-1688\\0&1&0& -1464\\0&0&1&-1344\end{array}\right][/tex]

[tex]V_3\,=\,V_0\,=\,-1344\,V[/tex]

But -1344 Volts seems too high (or low) doesn't it? Should I have also expressed the currents that I did not mark at the short wires between ground and [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_3[/itex]? Maybe I should use KVL 1 loop instead of the super-node KVL expression?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
your diagram as it stand contains two wires that short out V1 and V3 making them trivial with respect to ground chosen..should they not be there?

Last edited:
Nope, they are there.

in that case your (effective) diagram changes dramatically, i m not even sure whether it is consistent?...anyway, if it is consistent: your circuit theory then tells you: I3=0, V_0=0, I2=0, V1=V3=0 so can join them up and form a loop containing the 120V source and 40 ohm resistor..and I_0=3A

it is actually ok i think... consistency wise speaking

Last edited:
So how would I go about getting a system of equations for [itex]V_1[/itex] thorugh [itex]V_3[/itex]?

you want to find V_0 and I_0, why worry about v1, v2 and v3? they are introduced for node voltage analysis purposes only... but if you really want a "system" of equations: you have
V1=0, V3=0, V2 = -120

all w.r.t. the ground chosen

OIC, [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_3[/itex] are 0 becasue they are both connected to ground through the wires you were asking about.

So for [itex]I_0[/itex] we have

[tex]I_0\,=\,\frac{V_1\,-\,V_2}{40\Omega}\,=\,\frac{(0)\,-\,(-120\,V)}{40\Omega}\,=\,3\,A[/tex]

Right?

yes. NB: but for this question, introducing V1-V3 are not necessary, just observe that those wires short out several components leading to a simpler circuit and solve by inspection or doing a simple KVL loop (in this case).

So, to get [itex]V_0[/itex], I do a KVL loop around the [itex]80\Omega[/itex] and [itex]40\Omega[/itex] and the 120 V source?

[tex]V_0\,+\,40\,I_0\,-\,120\,V\,=\,0\,\,\longrightarrow\,\,V_0\,=\,120\,-\,40(3)\,=\,0\,V[/tex]

So [itex]V_0[/itex] is really zero?

by the way, I got V0=0 by inspection. but what you have done is also correct. i guess showing that the circuit is consistent after all

1. What is nodal analysis in circuit analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage and current values at different nodes in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law (KCL) which states that the algebraic sum of currents entering and exiting a node is equal to zero.

2. How do you solve for V0 and I0 using nodal analysis?

To solve for V0 and I0 using nodal analysis, you need to first identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them. Then, you can write KCL equations for each node, keeping in mind that the sum of currents entering and exiting a node is equal to zero. Finally, you can solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of V0 and I0.

3. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a powerful method for circuit analysis because it can be used to analyze both DC and AC circuits with multiple sources. It also allows for a systematic approach to solving complex circuits and can be easily programmed for computer analysis.

4. Are there any limitations to using nodal analysis?

One limitation of nodal analysis is that it can only be used for linear circuits, meaning that the components in the circuit must have a linear relationship between voltage and current. Additionally, nodal analysis can become more complicated for circuits with a large number of nodes.

5. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with dependent sources?

Yes, nodal analysis can be used for circuits with dependent sources. In this case, the dependent source is treated as an additional variable in the KCL equations and can be solved for along with the other unknowns. This makes nodal analysis a versatile method for analyzing a wide range of circuits.