FLUKEY OR SPOOKY? Incredible real-life coincidences or are they?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: I'm going to jail!". I rode up to them and they asked where I was going and I told them. Then one of the nuns said "would you happen to have a light?" I reached into my saddlebag and handed her my light. I told them I had been riding all day and I was very tired. They said "well, we'll be happy to give you a ride back to the highway". So, they loaded me into their car and drove me back to the highway. As I was getting out of the car one of the nuns said "would you like to come in and have a cup of tea?". So, I did. That was the most interesting thing that ever happened to me. In summary, this woman's
several years ago i noted some interesting coincidences in three novels which i read close together. i mentioned this to a friend in an email:

"...I hope you like the Puzzler book. There were several coincidences linking it to other
books i read recently. In the Whaleboat House the dead body of the girl starts moving...
it turns out there was a fish underneath. In the Tasmanian book they refer to dead cows moving
...due to being eaten from the inside by Tasmanian Devils. In the Puzzler a dead pig starts moving...this time a piglet is the cause ! "

it is possible that the "meme" of dead bodies moving due to animal/fish activity was passed from author to author when they read each other's books...or perhaps i subconsciously sought out books which were likely to contain such events. has anyone come across this particular "meme" in other novels ?

i find such coincidences intriguing and definitely positive, life-enhancing events ( even though the details in this case were decidedly gruesome ! )

ibfc

Physics news on Phys.org
I just had my own DaveC moment.

Opened xkcd (without looking at it) and changed the TV channel.

Right at that moment the TV announcer said "and now for Family Guy and they're doing a remake of one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made" (Blue Harvest, the parody of Star Wars).

Then, I look at xkcd and on the first page as what I can only assume is a random pic they show on entry: http://xkcd.com/890/ (when I opened it was only http://xkcd.com, I added 890 so you could see the image).

It's a Star Wars Millenium Falcon joke.

Last edited by a moderator:
JaredJames said:
... what I can only assume is a random pic they show on entry: http://xkcd.com/890/ ...

That's not random, just today's comic. So the real coincidence is that today's xkcd is Star Wars-related. (I'm too lazy to calculate the probability of a random xkcd being Star Wars-related.)

jhae2.718 said:
That's not random, just today's comic. So the real coincidence is that today's xkcd is Star Wars-related. (I'm too lazy to calculate the probability of a random xkcd being Star Wars-related.)

Ah.

Still works for me - first time I've ever visited that site. Just saw a pic on here and figured I'd check it out.

I was in A concourse, and the [St. Louis] tornado actually hit C concourse. And within about 15 minutes, I get a phone call telling me that the tornado had hit my house.

So I left to come home, and I had to hike in because power lines were all down. And I came across to the top of that hill, and I looked to see my house, and all I saw was a space. And there it is. That's my house... [his house was completely destroyed]

SIMON: And one of your personal photographs got swept up in the cloud and wound up at the airport, traveled four or five miles.

HAYES: It -- yes. One of the men that I work with called me yesterday morning. They found a picture of my daughter and one of her classmates from 1997. The wind had blown it, and it stuck to the window of the break room that I work in.

SIMON: Well, that is absolutely amazing.

HAYES: It sure was.
http://edition.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1104/25/cnr.03.html

It happened again !

On Thursday evening i was reading a book by Kary Mullis ( honestly that is his real name ! ) in which he recounts a strange event involving a GLOWING RACCOON.
The next day at the Gym i was idly watching a kiddies show called Wingin' It... and there was a RACCOON puppet...which gave off light !:eek::bugeye:

I swear on Dawkins' grave that this is true

ibfc

One day, I was sitting in my living room reading a library book when I came upon a library receipt. For whatever reason, I decided to see who it belonged to. It was my boyfriend of less than 24 hours. I'd had no idea that he liked books of that genre.

ToniLStark said:
One day, I was sitting in my living room reading a library book when I came upon a library receipt. For whatever reason, I decided to see who it belonged to. It was my boyfriend of less than 24 hours. I'd had no idea that he liked books of that genre.
Just to be clear, you're saying you got this book out of the library and that you discovered he had taken it out before you ever met him, right?

I asked a work associate what he was doing for the 4th. Not much, he replied. "No fireworks?". Nope. They stopped doing that some years ago.

Well, when you think about, said I, "you are just burning money". I swear, to the best of my knowledge I have never said this before or even thought about it quite that way. I always loved fireworks but am getting a bit cynical in my old age.

He responded by saying that's really funny. He attended a funeral this morning for the father of a friend. During the eulogy, it was mentioned that the father always referred to fireworks displays as " just burning money"

My sister, her husband, and their kids were up from California. My brother-in-law was thumbing through our old Hubble photo book and in it found his son's birth announcement - now age 13.

I once listened to a song on a cd in a car. When i took out the cd and it automatically switched to radio, the station it tuned to was playing the exact same song and it was on the exact same point in the song as when i stopped it. The song wasn't a very new song, so it didn't get played often.

<h2>What is a coincidence?</h2><p>A coincidence is an occurrence of two or more events that appear to be related, but are not caused by each other. These events may seem unlikely to happen together, but they are not intentionally planned or connected.</p><h2>What is a spooky coincidence?</h2><p>A spooky coincidence is a coincidence that seems too unlikely to be random chance, and may give the impression of something supernatural or eerie. These coincidences often involve strange or unlikely events that seem to be connected in a meaningful way.</p><h2>Can coincidences be explained by science?</h2><p>Yes, coincidences can be explained by science. While they may seem unlikely or even impossible, they are still events that occur within the laws of nature. Coincidences can be the result of statistical probabilities, random chance, or the human tendency to notice patterns and connections.</p><h2>Are there different types of coincidences?</h2><p>Yes, there are different types of coincidences. Some common types include synchronicity, where two seemingly unrelated events occur at the same time; serendipity, where a coincidence leads to a positive outcome; and the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, where something you recently learned or noticed suddenly seems to be everywhere.</p><h2>Are there any real-life examples of spooky coincidences?</h2><p>Yes, there are many real-life examples of spooky coincidences. Some famous examples include the Lincoln and Kennedy coincidences, where there are numerous strange similarities between the assassinations of these two presidents; and the story of the Titanic and the novel, "Futility," which both involve a ship called the Titan that sinks after hitting an iceberg.</p>

What is a coincidence?

A coincidence is an occurrence of two or more events that appear to be related, but are not caused by each other. These events may seem unlikely to happen together, but they are not intentionally planned or connected.

What is a spooky coincidence?

A spooky coincidence is a coincidence that seems too unlikely to be random chance, and may give the impression of something supernatural or eerie. These coincidences often involve strange or unlikely events that seem to be connected in a meaningful way.

Can coincidences be explained by science?

Yes, coincidences can be explained by science. While they may seem unlikely or even impossible, they are still events that occur within the laws of nature. Coincidences can be the result of statistical probabilities, random chance, or the human tendency to notice patterns and connections.

Are there different types of coincidences?

Yes, there are different types of coincidences. Some common types include synchronicity, where two seemingly unrelated events occur at the same time; serendipity, where a coincidence leads to a positive outcome; and the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon, where something you recently learned or noticed suddenly seems to be everywhere.

Are there any real-life examples of spooky coincidences?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of spooky coincidences. Some famous examples include the Lincoln and Kennedy coincidences, where there are numerous strange similarities between the assassinations of these two presidents; and the story of the Titanic and the novel, "Futility," which both involve a ship called the Titan that sinks after hitting an iceberg.