Good Biology graphing programs?

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations and drawbacks of using Excel for graphing and the search for alternative software. Suggestions are made for using Photoshop, Illustrator, or Prism, but the high cost of Prism is mentioned. Cheaper alternatives such as R, Gnuplot, and GLE are also mentioned, with brief descriptions of their capabilities.
Cmunro
I really don't like Excel for graphing for several reasons. The main issue is that it only has uniform uncertainties for all data points and you cannot put different uncertainties for different data points. I also just don't feel the graph looks good quality at all.

People I have asked suggest either doing it by hand or doing it on photoshop or illustrator. Both of these take time though. Surely someone has come up with a nice, easy system?

I'm going into my last year of high school, so I'm not really aware of what graphing packages are available. What do the biologists of this forum use?

Biology news on Phys.org
Prism is really good statistical software.

Thanks! I'll have a look.

Well I downloaded the free trial, and its great - but there's one catch. $300 if I actually wanted to use it for more than 30 days. Something to consider perhaps later on when I'm doing biology in uni :) Still, I'll do what I can with it for 30 days.

Do you know of any cheaper alternatives?

gnuplot. It has a pretty steep learning curve, unfortunately. The web is littered with tutorials, though.

- Warren

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What features should I look for in a good biology graphing program?

A good biology graphing program should have a user-friendly interface, the ability to import and export data, a wide range of graph types and customization options, compatibility with statistical analysis software, and the ability to save and share graphs in various formats.

2. Are there any free biology graphing programs available?

Yes, there are many free biology graphing programs available, such as R, GraphPad Prism, and Gnuplot. These programs offer a range of features and can be used for various types of biological data analysis.

3. Can a biology graphing program handle large datasets?

Most biology graphing programs are designed to handle large datasets. However, it is important to check the specific program's capabilities and system requirements to ensure it can handle the size and complexity of your data.

4. How accurate are the graphs produced by biology graphing programs?

The accuracy of graphs produced by biology graphing programs depends on the quality of the data input and the statistical analysis used. It is important to carefully review and validate the data and statistical methods used to ensure accurate and reliable results.

5. Can a biology graphing program be used for non-biological data?

Yes, many biology graphing programs can be used for non-biological data analysis as well. However, it is important to ensure that the program has the necessary features and customization options for the specific type of data being analyzed.