Current-Carrying Wire/Magnet Question

• Thread starter bagheera
  • Start date
In summary, the illustration shows a current-carrying wire between magnetic poles with arrows indicating the direction of the current. Side X will be forced up according to the right-hand rule and the wire will rotate until it reaches a point where the force from the magnetic field changes direction and causes it to stop. The only vertical force involved is gravity.
bagheera

Homework Statement

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/4773/picture286zs7.png
The illustration shows a current-carrying wire between magnetic poles. The arrows in the illustration show the direction of the current.

A. In the illustration above, will side X be forced up or down?

B. How far will the wire rotate before it stops? Why?

Homework Equations

I used the right-hand rule for the first, but I have no idea how to solve the second.

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer to A is up, correct? I tried to use the right-hand rule and it seems correct, but could someone confirm I'm on the right track?

I have no idea how to solve the second... I would assume that it will not be able to infinitely rotate, right?

Thank you soooo much for any help you could provide. :approve: Physics is not my strong subject... T.T

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to consider the magnetic field of the magnet only, or do you have to include interaction between the wire itself?
In my opinion (I've used the right hand also), the wire won't experience a vertical force at all.

When the wire turns and goes beyond 90 degrees, the force changes direction... this causes it to stop. Thats what you have to find out. The only vertical force here is gravity.

1. How does a current-carrying wire create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. This is due to the movement of electrons in the wire, which generates a magnetic field perpendicular to the flow of current according to the right-hand rule.

2. What is the relationship between the strength of a magnetic field and the current in a wire?

The strength of a magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire is directly proportional to the current in the wire. This means that as the current increases, the strength of the magnetic field also increases.

3. Can a current-carrying wire be used to magnetize objects?

Yes, a current-carrying wire can be used to magnetize objects. When an object is placed within the magnetic field created by the wire, the object's atoms align with the magnetic field and become magnetized.

4. How does the direction of the current affect the direction of the magnetic field?

The direction of the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire is perpendicular to the direction of the current. This means that if the current flows in a north-south direction, the magnetic field will be in an east-west direction.

5. Is the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire constant?

No, the magnetic field created by a current-carrying wire can change depending on the strength of the current. If the current increases or decreases, the magnetic field will also increase or decrease accordingly.