Max Acceleration of a 20.0kg Crate on a Flatbed Truck

In summary, the driver of a 48 feet flatbed truck can travel at a maximum of 25 m/s if he is carrying a 6000 pound load 8 feet high.
pebbles

Homework Statement

A flatbed truck is carrying a 20.0-kg crate along a level road. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and the bed is 0.400. What is the maximum acceleration that the truck can have if the crate is to stay in place?

Homework Equations

Is the equation to solve for maximum acceleration F s,max= usN * us?

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not taught how to do problems like this...not 100% sure what to plug in for usN...I gave it a shot:
The surface is flat, so I guess the normal force=20.0 kg, so I then mulitplied by .40 to get 8 m/s...ahhhh. I don't know what I'm doing!

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
pebbles said:

Homework Statement

A flatbed truck is carrying a 20.0-kg crate along a level road. The coefficient of static friction between the crate and the bed is 0.400. What is the maximum acceleration that the truck can have if the crate is to stay in place?

Homework Equations

Is the equation to solve for maximum acceleration F s,max= usN * us?
Fsmax = usN. Then use Newton's 2nd law.

The Attempt at a Solution

I was not taught how to do problems like this...not 100% sure what to plug in for usN...I gave it a shot:
The surface is flat, so I guess the normal force=20.0 kg, so I then mulitplied by .40 to get 8 m/s...ahhhh. I don't know what I'm doing!
20 Kg, is the mass, the normal force is its weight. Use formula that relates weight with mass.

PhanthomJay said:
20 Kg, is the mass, the normal force is its weight. Use formula that relates weight with mass.
uh, hmm. I looked through my notes, couldn't find this kind of formula.

What am I to do to solve this problem? I looked at the F s, max formula wrong, so it's us times N. I was initially puzzled by usN times us. Now it makes since.

So, us= .40 right? But I don't know how to get the weight of 20kg for normal force, N.

Thanks

The normal force on the crate, in this problem, is equal to the weight, since there is no acceleration vertically and only the weight and normal forces act in the vertical diretion, so they must be equal and opposite in satisfaction of Newton's 1st law. Now weight is just the force caused by the acceleration of gravity, please memorize it, W=mg, where g is the acceleration of gravity where g is equal to 9.8m/s/s on the Earth's surface. When the mass is in kilograms, the weight, using this formula, is in Newtons. 20 Kilograms weighs 196 Newtons.

so my answer will be .40 times 196 N which is 78 m/s^2?!

f=ma for (m) moving direction
R=ma
F=mg
coeffi.fric=F/R=mg/ma
a=g/coeff.fri
= 10/0.4m/s2
=25m/s2

Last edited:

I love this problem and since I am a flatbed driver I have a more interesting one:

48 feet flatbed
6000 pounds load 8 feet high (the load is full trailer)
A flatbed is 8.5 feet whide
driver will drive at 65 miles per hour (there is no wind)

How many straps and how tiht should they be so he does not lose everything in 600 miles :D

(I'm a geek flatbed driver... If I get an answer to this I will post more)

Last edited:

What is the formula for calculating maximum acceleration?

The formula for calculating maximum acceleration is a = F/m, where "a" is acceleration, "F" is the net force acting on the object, and "m" is the mass of the object.

How do you determine the maximum acceleration of a 20.0kg crate on a flatbed truck?

The maximum acceleration of a 20.0kg crate on a flatbed truck can be determined by dividing the net force acting on the crate by its mass. This will give you the maximum acceleration that the crate can undergo without slipping or sliding on the truck.

Does the surface of the flatbed truck affect the maximum acceleration of the crate?

Yes, the surface of the flatbed truck can affect the maximum acceleration of the crate. If the surface is rough or uneven, it can create more friction and resistance, which will decrease the maximum acceleration of the crate.

How does the weight of the crate affect its maximum acceleration?

The weight of the crate, or its mass, directly affects its maximum acceleration. The heavier the crate, the more force is needed to move it, thus decreasing its maximum acceleration. This is why a 20.0kg crate will have a lower maximum acceleration than a 10.0kg crate on the same flatbed truck.

What is the significance of knowing the maximum acceleration of a crate on a flatbed truck?

Knowing the maximum acceleration of a crate on a flatbed truck is important for determining how much force is needed to safely transport the crate without it slipping or sliding on the truck. It can also help in planning the route and speed of transportation to avoid any accidents or damage to the crate.