How Does Acceleration of Charged Particles Produce Electromagnetic Radiation?

In summary, electromagnetic radiation is produced when charged particles are accelerated, and this phenomenon is encapsulated in Maxwell's equations and relativistic extensions. Vacuum polarization theories have been utilized to explain this, and the PVLAS experiment is currently being conducted to test this theory. The principles of synchrotron and cyclotron also rely on accelerating charged particles, but their energy would actually decrease if they emit radiation. However, this is not the case due to the quantization of energy levels in Bohr's theory and the development of quantum mechanics.
Himanshu
What is the mechanism that operates behind the production of electromagnetic radiations when charged particles are accelerated?

How are electromagnetic radiations produced in this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems our understanding of electromagnetic phenomena can be encapsulated in Maxwell's equations and the relativistic extensions. There's nothing about 'how' the radiation is produced in this. Since quantum theory some models based on vacuum polarization have been utilised.

There is an experiment called PVLAS going on ( or finished) in Italy which is looking for dichroism in light going through a strong magnetic field. If this effect is found, it will give weight to the vacuum polarization theories.

Maybe someone else can pick this up...

[edit] I just noticed the word 'accelerated' in the question, so my reply might be bit off-beam.

Last edited:
The EM radiation produced by accelerated charges is troubling my head. Consider the following case.

The principle of synchrotron and cyclotron is based on the fact that the charged particles take up circular path in magnetic fields. In a circular path the body is under the state of acceleration. So it would emit radiation. As a result, its energy would decrease. Therefore after a certain period of time the energy of the particle would decrease instead of increasing which was the primary goal. Then how does these devices simplify our task.

Similar conversation also applies to a Bhor Atom. As the electron goes around the nucleus its energy would continue to decrease and collide with the nucleus. But I think I have an answer for this. Bhor's Theory also suggessts that energy of an electron is quantised. So it should not have energy less than -13.6eV. That prevents the electron from colliding with the nucleus. Am I right?

Similar conversation also applies to a Bhor Atom. As the electron goes around the nucleus its energy would continue to decrease and collide with the nucleus. But I think I have an answer for this. Bhor's Theory also suggessts that energy of an electron is quantised. So it should not have energy less than -13.6eV. That prevents the electron from colliding with the nucleus. Am I right?
Since Bohr's bold step in assuming that the energy levels of atoms are quantised, a new theory call 'Quantum Mechanics' was developed which is able to predict correctly the energy levels of the hydrogen atom. In this theory the actual movement ( if any ) of the electron is not specified but a probability distribution is given.

Try looking up Schrodingers equation or quantum mechanics in some books.

What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that is transmitted through space in the form of waves. It includes a wide range of wavelengths, from radio waves to gamma rays.

How does electromagnetic radiation travel?

Electromagnetic radiation travels in a straight line at the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second in a vacuum. It can also travel through some materials, such as air and water.

What are the different types of electromagnetic radiation?

The different types of electromagnetic radiation are categorized on a spectrum based on their wavelength and frequency. The types include radio waves, microwaves, infrared radiation, visible light, ultraviolet radiation, X-rays, and gamma rays.

What are the uses of electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation has many practical applications, including communication technology such as radio and television, medical imaging like X-rays and MRI scans, and generating electricity through solar panels.

How does exposure to electromagnetic radiation affect living organisms?

Exposure to high levels of electromagnetic radiation can be harmful to living organisms, causing damage to cells and DNA. However, low levels of exposure, such as from radio waves and visible light, are generally considered safe and even necessary for life.