Solving an ODE using a power series

In summary, the solution can be written as the power seriesy= a0+ a1(x-1)+ a2(x-1)^2+ a3(x-1)^3+ .... and the coefficients are given by,a2n= (n+1)a0 and a2n+1= (2n+3)a1/3.
jessawells

Homework Statement

solve the initial value problem:

[tex] x(2-x)y'' - 6(x-1)y' - 4y = 0[/tex]
[tex] y(1)=1 [/tex]
[tex]y'(1) = 0 [/tex]

hint: since the initial condition is given at [tex]x_0 = 1 [/tex], it is best to write the solution as a series centered at [tex]x_0 = 1 [/tex].

Homework Equations

I have attempted the question, but I got stuck in one of the steps. Here's what I have so far:

assume the solution can be written as a power series centered about x = 1. Then the solution and its derivatives are:

[tex] y(t) = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} [/tex]

[tex] y'(t) = \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^{n-1}} [/tex]

[tex] y''(t) = \displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}} [/tex]

where the [tex] a_n [/tex] are constant coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute y, y', and y'' into the ODE in order to determine the [tex] a_n [/tex]:

[tex]x(2-x)\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}}-6(x-1)\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^{n-1}}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

[tex](1-(x-1)^2)\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}}-6(x-1)\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^{n-1}}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n ((x-1)^{n-2}- (x-1)^n)}-6\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^n}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}}- \displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^n} -6\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^n}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

now I need to shift indices to make all the exponents of (x-1) equal to n, and also to try to make all the summations start at n=0:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} (x-1)^n}- \displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^n} -6\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^n}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

I don't know how to proceed from here. I have 4 summations. Two of them start at n=0 and has the [tex](x-1)^n[/tex] factor. The other two summations start at n=2 or n=1. I can't get them to start at n=0 because if I try to do that, then I get:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} (x-1)^{n+2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]6\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n+1}}[/tex]

As you can see, these have the factors [tex] (x-1)^{n+2} [/tex] and [tex] (x-1)^{n+1} [/tex] instead of [tex] (x-1)^n [/tex]. So I don't know how to combine all this, since the summations do not start at the same number.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm told that in the end, the answer to the coefficients should be:

[tex]a_{2n} = (n+1)a_0 [/tex] and [tex]a_{2n+1} = \frac{2n+3}{3}a_1 [/tex]

So I just don't know how to get from the point I'm stuck to this answer. I'm also quite confused as to how to solve the initial value problem, after obtaining the expected answer. The initial conditions are: [tex] y(1)=1 [/tex], [tex]y'(1) = 0 [/tex]. Using the initial condition y(1) = 1, I get:

[tex] y(1)= \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n ((1)-1)^n} [/tex]
[tex] 1 = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (0) [/tex]
[tex] 1 = 0 [/tex]

This does not make sense...what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
jessawells said:

Homework Statement

solve the initial value problem:

[tex] x(2-x)y'' - 6(x-1)y' - 4y = 0[/tex]
[tex] y(1)=1 [/tex]
[tex]y'(1) = 0 [/tex]

hint: since the initial condition is given at [tex]x_0 = 1 [/tex], it is best to write the solution as a series centered at [tex]x_0 = 1 [/tex].

Homework Equations

I have attempted the question, but I got stuck in one of the steps. Here's what I have so far:

assume the solution can be written as a power series centered about x = 1. Then the solution and its derivatives are:

[tex] y(t) = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} [/tex]

[tex] y'(t) = \displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^{n-1}} [/tex]

[tex] y''(t) = \displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}} [/tex]

where the [tex] a_n [/tex] are constant coefficients.

The Attempt at a Solution

Substitute y, y', and y'' into the ODE in order to determine the [tex] a_n [/tex]:

[tex]x(2-x)\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}}-6(x-1)\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^{n-1}}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

[tex](1-(x-1)^2)\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}}-6(x-1)\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^{n-1}}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n ((x-1)^{n-2}- (x-1)^n)}-6\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^n}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^{n-2}}- \displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^n} -6\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^n}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

now I need to shift indices to make all the exponents of (x-1) equal to n, and also to try to make all the summations start at n=0:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+2)(n+1) a_{n+2} (x-1)^n}- \displaystyle\sum_{n=2}^{\infty}{n (n-1) a_n (x-1)^n} -6\displaystyle\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}{n a_n (x-1)^n}-4\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (x-1)^n} = 0[/tex]

I don't know how to proceed from here. I have 4 summations. Two of them start at n=0 and has the [tex](x-1)^n[/tex] factor. The other two summations start at n=2 or n=1. I can't get them to start at n=0 because if I try to do that, then I get:

[tex]\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+2) (n+1) a_{n+2} (x-1)^{n+2}}[/tex]

and

[tex]6\displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{(n+1) a_{n+1} (x-1)^{n+1}}[/tex]

As you can see, these have the factors [tex] (x-1)^{n+2} [/tex] and [tex] (x-1)^{n+1} [/tex] instead of [tex] (x-1)^n [/tex]. So I don't know how to combine all this, since the summations do not start at the same number.

--------------------------------------------------------------
I'm told that in the end, the answer to the coefficients should be:

[tex]a_{2n} = (n+1)a_0 [/tex] and [tex]a_{2n+1} = \frac{2n+3}{3}a_1 [/tex]

So I just don't know how to get from the point I'm stuck to this answer. I'm also quite confused as to how to solve the initial value problem, after obtaining the expected answer. The initial conditions are: [tex] y(1)=1 [/tex], [tex]y'(1) = 0 [/tex]. Using the initial condition y(1) = 1, I get:

[tex] y(1)= \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n ((1)-1)^n} [/tex]
[tex] 1 = \displaystyle\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}{a_n (0) [/tex]
[tex] 1 = 0 [/tex]

This does not make sense...what am I doing wrong?
After you have
Do the n= 0 and n= 1 separately.

When n= 0, the terms that start at n=0 give you (0+2)(0+1)a0+2- 4a0= 2a2- 4a0= 0 so a2= 2a0

When n= 1, the terms that start at n= 1 give you (1+2)(1+1)a1+2- 6(1)a1- 4a1= 0 so 2a3= 10a1 and a3= 5a1.

After that, you can use all the terms for n> 1.

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves one or more independent variables and their corresponding derivatives.

2. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0∞ cn(x-a)n, where cn are constants, x is the variable, and a is the center of the series. It is used to approximate functions and can be used to solve ODEs.

3. How is a power series used to solve an ODE?

A power series can be used to solve an ODE by substituting the series into the ODE and equating like powers of x. This results in a system of equations that can be solved to find the coefficients of the power series. The solution can then be written as a series which approximates the solution to the ODE.

4. What are the advantages of solving an ODE using a power series?

Solving an ODE using a power series allows for an analytical solution, meaning it can be expressed in terms of functions rather than numerical approximations. It also provides a systematic method for finding solutions to ODEs of any order and can be used to find solutions to ODEs with variable coefficients.

5. Are there any limitations to solving an ODE using a power series?

Yes, there are limitations to solving an ODE using a power series. It is only applicable to linear ODEs and may not always result in a convergent series, meaning the solution may not be valid for all values of x. It is also a time-consuming process, especially for higher order ODEs.