Brain Surgery Risk: How to Decrease Intracranial Pressure & Repair Brain?

In summary, the risks of dying during brain surgery are dependent on various factors such as the type and extent of the surgery, underlying health conditions, and other variables that can only be assessed by a neurosurgeon. It is not possible to accurately predict the percentage chance of dying during surgery without considering all of these factors.
bioquest
Brain and skull
Do you have a 50% chance of dying when your skull is opened for brain surgery due to intracranial pressure? How much can you decrease your odds of dying from that? And how much of the brain could be repaired from putting stem cells into the brain (the most possible during one brain surgery only though) if the stem cells could be stimulated?

Biology news on Phys.org
I mean, my question is- this is my only question- what are your odds of dying (percentage chance, ie 75%) during deep brain surgery if a piece of brain (very small/whichever size is the best size to remove and survive during surgery while it's being done) is being removed?

(the 2nd post not the first in this thread is the only one I want answered)

I mean keeping in mind that that drug/chemical vampire bats inject/use on their victim when they bite can help with blood clotting, and they can put a person in suspended animation for 2 or 3 hours when they're not breathing or having a heartbeat and keeping in mind other things, what are your chances of dying during the surgery described above in the 2nd post?)

It doesn't let me edit even though it hasn't been very long?
When you answer the questions post #2 and down could you keep in mind things like heart/lung machines and just in regards to answering the question could you assume that the brain would be grown back correctly with epileptic cells/stem cells? (Even though that would probably not be the case?) and could you answer why as well to the questions? thanks

And also, which parts of the brain would the removal of definitely kill you even if you could be on a machine that breaths for you and could grow back the parts with epileptic cells/stem cells? Why? thanks

The risks related to brain surgery are dependent on the type of surgery (what part of the brain they are trying to reach), the underlying reason for the surgery, how extensive the affected area is, and a whole lot of other things. If you know someone about to undergo surgery, their neurosurgeon is the only person who can give a decent answer about the risk in their particular circumstances.

If they're taking a piece (ie small piece/big piece whatever sized piece would give you the most odds of survival)/out of the most lethal area to remove a brain piece from what would you say (approxiametly) your odds/percentage of dying during surgery are? If you're young and healthy? (If you're taking the piece out just so you have room to regenerate the brain, ie not because you have a tumor or something) Keeping in mind the above info

What I mean is- I'm just asking for a guess based on the above info, I know there's lots of variables involved- would you say it's like 75% or 50% or a different number? (of dying during the surgery)

Last edited:
bioquest said:
If they're taking a piece (ie small piece/big piece whatever sized piece would give you the most odds of survival)/out of the most lethal area to remove a brain piece from what would you say (approxiametly) your odds/percentage of dying during surgery are? If you're young and healthy? (If you're taking the piece out just so you have room to regenerate the brain, ie not because you have a tumor or something) Keeping in mind the above info

What I mean is- I'm just asking for a guess based on the above info, I know there's lots of variables involved- would you say it's like 75% or 50% or a different number? (of dying during the surgery)

I just told you, there are too many variables to guess. It is highly dependent on the individual, the procedure, the area affected, the size of the area affected, the type of problem, etc.

1. What is intracranial pressure and why is it important in brain surgery?

Intracranial pressure (ICP) refers to the pressure inside the skull and brain. It is important in brain surgery because high levels of ICP can cause damage to the brain and can be life-threatening. In order to decrease ICP and prevent complications, it is important for surgeons to monitor and manage it during brain surgery.

2. What are some common risks associated with brain surgery?

Some common risks of brain surgery include infection, bleeding, stroke, seizures, and changes in brain function. These risks can vary depending on the type and location of the surgery, as well as the individual’s overall health.

3. How can surgeons decrease intracranial pressure during brain surgery?

Surgeons can decrease intracranial pressure during brain surgery by using techniques such as removing excess fluid from the brain, placing a drain to drain fluid, using medications to decrease swelling, and monitoring and managing ventilation and blood pressure.

4. Can intracranial pressure be lowered after brain surgery?

Yes, intracranial pressure can be lowered after brain surgery through various methods such as medication, monitoring and managing ventilation and blood pressure, and making sure the patient is comfortable and not experiencing any pain or stress.

5. What is the recovery process like for brain surgery?

The recovery process for brain surgery can vary depending on the type and extent of the surgery, as well as the individual’s overall health. It typically involves a hospital stay, followed by a period of rest and rehabilitation. It is important for patients to follow their doctor’s instructions for recovery and attend any necessary follow-up appointments. Full recovery can take several weeks to months.