Changing Potential Energy of a Magnetic Coil

In summary, the problem involves a coil with a magnetic moment of 1.40 Am^2 initially oriented antiparallel to a magnetic field of magnitude 0.830 T. When the coil is rotated 180 degrees to become parallel to the field, the change in potential energy is calculated to be -2.324J, with the negative sign indicating a decrease in potential energy. There was some initial confusion about the correct angle and sign, but it was resolved by the correct equation being used.
clope023

Homework Statement

A coil with magnetic moment 1.40 Am^2 is oriented initially with its magnetic moment antiparallel to a uniform magnetic field of magnitude 0.830 T.

What is the change in potential energy of the coil when it is rotated 180 degrees, so that its magnetic moment is parallel to the field?

Homework Equations

u = IA = magnetic moment

U = -uBcos(phi)

The Attempt at a Solution

U1 = -uBcos(180) = -1.162J
U2 = -uBcos(360) = 1.162J

deltaU = U2-U1 = 1.162J - (-1.162J) = 2.324J

just wondering if I did the problem correctly, I'm not sure I have the correct angles; any help is greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's just [tex]\Delta U = \mu B[/tex] since [tex]U=-\mu B cos(\phi)=-\mu B cos(180) =-\mu B*(-1)=\mu B[/tex]

konthelion said:
It's just [tex]\Delta U = \mu B[/tex] since [tex]U=-\mu B cos(\phi)=-\mu B cos(180) =-\mu B*(-1)=\mu B[/tex]

I actually tried that before and it came out incorrect.

edit: which is strange since reviewing my concepts again showed that the antiparallel (perpendicular) potential energy should have been 0 so more than likely it should have turned out like you said.

would it be possible that the trig function as changed?

Last edited:
it turns out I was correct (according to masteringphysics in this case the first antiparallel angle was 180 degrees) but the sign was negative, turns out it was like this:

U = Uf-Ui

= (-1.4*.830*cos(360))-(-1.4*.830*cos(180)) = -2.324J

thanks for the help anyway dude.

1. How can the potential energy of a magnetic coil be changed?

The potential energy of a magnetic coil can be changed by varying the current flowing through the coil. This can be done by adjusting the voltage or by changing the resistance in the circuit.

2. Can the potential energy of a magnetic coil be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the potential energy of a magnetic coil can be converted into other forms of energy, such as kinetic energy or thermal energy. This conversion can occur when the magnetic coil is part of a larger system, such as a motor or generator.

3. What factors affect the potential energy of a magnetic coil?

The potential energy of a magnetic coil is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the magnetic field, and the current flowing through the coil. Additionally, the type of material used for the coil and the geometry of the coil can also impact its potential energy.

4. How does the potential energy of a magnetic coil relate to its magnetic field?

The potential energy of a magnetic coil is directly proportional to the strength of its magnetic field. As the magnetic field increases, so does the potential energy. This relationship is described by the equation U = 1/2 L I^2, where U is the potential energy, L is the inductance of the coil, and I is the current flowing through the coil.

5. Can the potential energy of a magnetic coil be changed without changing the current?

Yes, the potential energy of a magnetic coil can be changed without changing the current by altering the magnetic field. This can be done by changing the position of a permanent magnet near the coil or by changing the strength of an electromagnet that is interacting with the coil.