Average velocity and average speed problem.

In summary, to compute the average velocity for the given scenario, you need to find the total distance traveled and total time taken. Then, you can use the formula Vavg = (xfinal - xinitial) / (tfinal - tinitial) to calculate the average velocity. In this case, the total distance is 146.6 m and the total time is 84 seconds. Therefore, the average velocity is 1.74 m/s.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

Compute your average velocity in the following 2 cases: (a): You walk 73.2 m at a speed of 1.22 m/s and then run 73.2 m at a speed of 3.005 m/s along a straight line.

Homework Equations

this asks for average velocity which equals=change of x/change of t or xfinal-xinitial/tfinal-tinitial

isn't acceleration = change of velocity over/ change of time

so what do i do, because it gives me two velocities

Physics news on Phys.org
afcwestwarrior said:

Homework Statement

Compute your average velocity in the following 2 cases: (a): You walk 73.2 m at a speed of 1.22 m/s and then run 73.2 m at a speed of 3.005 m/s along a straight line.

Homework Equations

this asks for average velocity which equals=change of x/change of t or xfinal-xinitial/tfinal-tinitialisn't acceleration = change of velocity over/ change of time

so what do i do, because it gives me two velocities

How long did it take you to accomplish the circuit? Vavg is defined as what? You know change of x, so ...?

Ok. I'm assuming that you add both of the velocities. 1.22 m/s+ 3.05 m/s=4.27m/s
My total distance was 73.2 m + 73.2 m=146.6 m

4.27m/s / 146.6 m=.0291268759 seconds

afcwestwarrior said:
Ok. I'm assuming that you add both of the velocities. 1.22 m/s+ 3.05 m/s=4.27m/s
My total distance was 73.2 m + 73.2 m=146.6 m

4.27m/s / 146.6 m=.0291268759 seconds

I think you've used an invalid approach.

The sum of the velocities divided by the total distance is not equal to the time.

How long does it take to do the first leg - 73.2 m at 1.22 m/s?

It takes 60 seconds.

afcwestwarrior said:
It takes 60 seconds.

OK. Now how long for the second leg?

It takes 24 seconds

Knowing total distance and total time now you are in position to calculate avg velocity. This is given by which of the equations you cited in your first post?

ok so it would be 73.2+73.2=146.4

146.4m/60s-24s=4.07m/s

wait a minute would i add the time together

afcwestwarrior said:
wait a minute would i add the time together

Well I sure would. Not sure why you would subtract time in this case. You want total time.

You did post this didn't you?
afcwestwarrior said:
...this asks for average velocity which equals=change of x/change of t ...

oh yeah huh.

yes i did

What is the difference between average velocity and average speed?

Average velocity is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude (speed) and direction of motion, whereas average speed is a scalar quantity that only considers the magnitude of motion.

How do you calculate average velocity and average speed?

Average velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) by the total time taken, while average speed is calculated by dividing the total distance traveled by the total time taken.

What is the difference between instantaneous velocity and average velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific moment in time, while average velocity is the average of all the instantaneous velocities over a given time period.

Can average velocity be negative?

Yes, average velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the negative direction. However, average speed is always positive as it only considers the magnitude of motion.

How do you use average velocity and average speed to solve problems?

To solve problems involving average velocity and average speed, you first need to identify the given information, such as distance, time, and direction of motion. Then, use the appropriate formulas to calculate the average velocity or average speed. Finally, interpret the results in the context of the problem.