Effect of temperature on voltage

In summary, voltage decreases with temperature in silicon solar cells due to the increase in electrons' kinetic energy and subsequent increase in scattering events between electrons and the lattice. This results in a decrease in current and open circuit voltage. This phenomenon is further discussed in Electrical Riddle No. 26 and has also been observed in the knee voltage of diodes.
vw_g60t
Hi,

I know that voltage decreases with temperature but why?

I am looking into silicon solar cells but cannot find any sources which explain why open circuit voltage decreases with rise in temperature.

can some explain please!

thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
vw_g60t said:
Hi,

I know that voltage decreases with temperature but why?

I am looking into silicon solar cells but cannot find any sources which explain why open circuit voltage decreases with rise in temperature.

can some explain please!

thanks

I cannot give you a rigorous explanation, but I think (but I'm not totally sure) that the increase of temperature causes the increase of the electrons' kinetic energy. That's why the scattering events between electrons and the lattice occur more frequently: this fact decrease the current, and so the voltage.

For a short discussion you can refer to Electrical Riddle No.26 from http://electrical-riddles.com :smile:

Please refer to my contribution in another discussion. The knee voltage of the diode decreases with temperature.

1. What is the relationship between temperature and voltage?

The relationship between temperature and voltage is an inverse one. This means that as temperature increases, voltage decreases, and vice versa. This is known as the negative temperature coefficient.

2. Why does temperature affect voltage?

Temperature affects voltage because it changes the movement of electrons within a material. As temperature increases, the atoms in the material vibrate more, causing more resistance for the electrons to flow and resulting in a decrease in voltage.

3. How does temperature affect the accuracy of voltage measurements?

Temperature can affect the accuracy of voltage measurements because the resistance of the measuring device can change with temperature. This can lead to a deviation in the measured voltage, making it important to consider and compensate for temperature changes when making precise voltage measurements.

4. What materials are most affected by temperature changes in terms of voltage?

Semiconductor materials, such as silicon and germanium, are most affected by temperature changes in terms of voltage. This is because they have a higher temperature coefficient of resistance compared to other materials.

5. How can temperature compensation be used to mitigate the effects of temperature on voltage?

Temperature compensation techniques, such as using a thermistor or a temperature-sensitive resistor, can be used to mitigate the effects of temperature on voltage. These devices can be incorporated into the circuit to adjust for changes in temperature and maintain a more stable voltage output.