High Temp Speakers: 3-4in Diam 300-400F

• Thread starter Jason03
  • Start date
In summary, you might be able to build your own speakers that can withstand high temperatures. They would need to be around 3-4 inches in diameter and have a frequency range of 100hz and higher. The speakers would be for a automotive design project and would need to be mounted away from the exhaust pipe.
Jason03
I have been looking for information on or for a company that produces speakers that can withstand temperatures up to around 300-400 degrees F. The speakers would be 3-4 inches in diameter. Anyone with ideas or knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated. The speakers are for a design project that will be automotive related.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Jason03 said:
I have been looking for information on or for a company that produces speakers that can withstand temperatures up to around 300-400 degrees F. The speakers would be 3-4 inches in diameter. Anyone with ideas or knowledge in this area would be greatly appreciated. The speakers are for a design project that will be automotive related.

Yikes. You might have to end up building your own. What's the Curie temperature for common magnets (I'm too lazy to look it up at the moment).

And, um, who is going to be listening to these speakers at that temperature? Is it really audio speakers that you want, or just the electromagnetic drive capability in the audio frequency range?

Looks like you're okay on Tc anyway:

wikipedia.org said:
768°C for iron

Some are made of mylar.

We are working with noise cancelation at these temperatures...and we are considering making our own...but not sure yet...

under hood noise cancellation? interesting...

what about piezo speakers?

Yea we are looking at the frequency range of at least 100hz and higher...mostly low frequency becasue we are working with the exhuast...which we used a spectrum analysis to find the range of...so a speaker with low frequency and higher power...similar to a sub woofer...but in a compact size...hard to find I am sure...

can you directly mount a piezo element on the exhaust itself and drive it for destructive interference?
i couldn't find low freq piezo systems. maybe you can put the speaker away and channel it there with a waveguide(pipe) or something.

we have a piezo element further down the exhuast to determine the frequency so that the speaker can provide destructive interference...The speaker is off the exhuast at a 45 degree angle...which has been tested to provide the best destructive interference...But the problem is getting a speaker to operate at such a low frequency at the high temperatures...

Just a thought -- can you use something like the Bose speaker radios use? With a folded audio resonant path, so that you can use a reasonable-size exciter element, and get reasonably low resonant frequencies from the audio path in the speaker, and not from the driving element itself?...

what do the bose radios use?

Jason03 said:
what do the bose radios use?

I don't know that much about them, but I believe their claim to fame is using a folded acoustical path to get lower resonant frequencies out of a small-ish speaker package. I'm sure they talk about it at their website. Not sure if it will help on your problem, but just a thought for something to check out in case it gives you some ideas...

1. What are high temperature speakers?

High temperature speakers are speakers that are designed to withstand extreme temperatures, typically ranging from 300-400 degrees Fahrenheit. They are often used in industrial or automotive settings where traditional speakers would not be able to function properly.

2. How do high temperature speakers differ from regular speakers?

High temperature speakers are made with specialized materials that can withstand high temperatures without warping or malfunctioning. They also have larger magnets and voice coils to ensure optimal performance in extreme temperatures.

3. What are the benefits of using high temperature speakers?

The main benefit of using high temperature speakers is their ability to withstand extreme temperatures without compromising sound quality. They are also more durable and long-lasting compared to regular speakers, making them ideal for industrial or outdoor use.

4. Can high temperature speakers be used in regular home audio systems?

While high temperature speakers are designed for extreme temperatures, they can also be used in regular home audio systems. However, they may not provide the same sound quality as traditional speakers, so it is recommended to use them in their intended settings.

5. How do I know if I need high temperature speakers?

If you work in an industrial or automotive setting where high temperatures are common, or if you are looking for speakers that can withstand outdoor environments, then high temperature speakers may be a good choice for you. It is always best to consult with a professional to determine the best type of speakers for your specific needs.