Abstract or Applied Linear Algebra?

In summary, the individual is deciding between taking Abstract Algebra II or Applied Linear Algebra for their final course of the semester. They are interested in pursuing graduate school in either mathematical physics or mathematics. They have already taken one semester of abstract algebra and two semesters of linear algebra. The individual has heard good things about the professor teaching applied linear algebra but has no information about the professor teaching abstract algebra. Upon further suggestion, it is recommended that the individual post the course descriptions for both classes to receive a more informed opinion. From the information provided, it seems that abstract algebra would be more beneficial for a mathematically inclined graduate degree while applied linear algebra would be more useful for a physics or engineering perspective. It is also noted that the topics in abstract
jimmypoopins
I have room for one more class this semester, and I've narrowed it down to Abstract Algebra II or Applied Linear Algebra. I've taken a semester of abstract algebra and two semesters of linear algebra thus far.

I'm interested in going to graduate school for either mathematical physics or mathematics. Which course would be better to take if that's what I'm pursuing?

Also, i had the professor that is teaching applied linear algebra last semester and he is very good. i have heard nothing about the professor teaching abstract algebra.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I know of pure Mathematically inclined degrees abstract algebra is an excellent tool. If you're leaning towards more physics (engineering perspective) Applied Linear Algebra is your best bet.

Jimmy, can you post the descriptions for both classes? I think you would get a more informed opinion this way, for we have no idea of knowing what's taught in both classes.

JinM said:
Jimmy, can you post the descriptions for both classes? I think you would get a more informed opinion this way, for we have no idea of knowing what's taught in both classes.

Course: MTH 411 Abstract Algebra II
Description: Continuation of MTH 310. Permutation groups, groups of transformations, normal subgroups, homomorphism theorems, modules. Principal ideal rings, unique factorization domains, noncommutative rings, rings of fractions, ideals.

Course: MTH 415 Applied Linear Algebra
Description: Matrices and linear algebra. General linear systems of equations. Least squares minimization techniques. Eigenvalues and eigenvectors, spectral decompositions, and exponentials.

thanks for the suggestion, djeitnstine. i think you're probably right. I'm concerned about mathematical physics, however. i don't know exactly what course would be better for it. i am more interested in doing something theoretical rather than something involving engineering or lab-work.

If you've already taken two semesters of linear algebra, I can't imagine there's a whole lot of new material in the applied linear algebra course. If you plan on going to grad school in math, you should probably finish up on abstract algebra, if you ever take a functional analysis course you might end up covering a lot of the applied linear algebra topics

Abstract Algebra II for the most part should be covered in the first Algebra upper division course. If you do not know most of those topics I would suggest taking MTH 411, not to mention Abstract Algebra's were some of my favorite courses in College ^_^. (Read the latter statement as admittance to bias)

djeitnstine said:
From what I know of pure Mathematically inclined degrees abstract algebra is an excellent tool. If you're leaning towards more physics (engineering perspective) Applied Linear Algebra is your best bet.

Strongly agree. Linear Algebra is very useful in Physics, Statistics, Engineering, and Computer Science. You'll see it everywhere. Take as much as you can. I'm kind of curious about your Abstract Algebra I class - we did most of the stuff you listed in Abstract Algebra I.

1. What is the difference between abstract and applied linear algebra?

Abstract linear algebra focuses on the study of vector spaces and linear transformations, while applied linear algebra applies these concepts to real-world problems and systems. In other words, abstract linear algebra is more theoretical and general, while applied linear algebra is more practical and specific.

2. What are some examples of applications of linear algebra?

Linear algebra has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, statistics, economics, and more. Some specific examples include image and signal processing, data compression, machine learning, optimization, and cryptography.

3. What are the main concepts and techniques used in linear algebra?

The main concepts in linear algebra include vector spaces, matrices, linear transformations, and eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Techniques such as Gaussian elimination, matrix multiplication, and diagonalization are commonly used in solving problems in linear algebra.

4. Can linear algebra be used in non-mathematical fields?

Yes, linear algebra has applications in a wide range of fields beyond mathematics. It is commonly used in computer graphics and animation, data analysis and modeling, and even in music composition and audio processing.

5. What are some resources for learning linear algebra?

There are many resources available for learning linear algebra, including textbooks, online courses, tutorials, and practice problems. Some popular textbooks include "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler and "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang. Online platforms such as Khan Academy and Coursera also offer free courses on linear algebra.