Edit Library Entry: Scientists - Fixing Latex Issues

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Redbelly98
  • Start date
In summary: again, all sent at 2253 GMT.I've been wondering about library subscriptions lately, since I haven't received any more notifications since Feb. 17. Perhaps my subscriptions were just not getting activity, but I was definitely subscribed to Snell's Law as the entry creator.Notifications still not working. :blushing:
Physics news on Phys.org
Library subscriptions and Edit logs

i] I've subscribed to numerous PF Library entries, but I've never been notified of any changes to them (the main text, not the Commentary), nor of any changes to those I've created myself (for which there is no subscription option).

Has anybody ever been notified of a Library change?

Are the Library subscriptions actually working?

ii] I just edited the title and Scientists of uncertainty relation (still in moderation) and that completely wiped the previous entries in the Edit log (inlcuding of course, the credit to its creator). :frown:

Funny, I have been thinking the same thing. No notifications for subscribed items, and the edit log can be one of three things:

1. Non-existent / erased
2. Incomplete listing of edits
3. Complete listing of edits

I've started crediting creators and creation dates in the Commentary section for this reason. I'd suggest adding that info to the earliest comment in your own entries, or entries you are involved with, so people can see when and by whom articles were created.

tt has edited a couple of my entries and I never received any notification at all.

Not sure if it was clear from my post #4, but I don't get the notifications either. I am subscribed to a number of entries, both from having created some of them or because I have clicked on "Subscribe to item".

I just got one Greg, I presume it was in retrospect.

notifications fixed!

Greg Bernhardt said:
subscriptions should work now. they are sent via PM. let me know

Yes, Greg … I just got about 50 notifications, all sent at 2253 GMT! :biggrin:

Thanks for fixing it. :smile:

notifications no longer fixed

I've subscribed to Snell's law , but there were amendments on 6th March and 7th March, and I've received no notifications

I also was not notified of edits in Snell's Law.

I've been wondering about library subscriptions lately, since I haven't received any more notifications since Feb. 17. Perhaps my subscriptions were just not getting activity, but I was definitely subscribed to Snell's Law as the entry creator.

subscriptions and autolinking

Library subscriptions still not working. :blushing:

And when will autolinking be turned back on? :smile:

(it's been off since before the new drive was installed)

Edit privileges?

New question: I am wondering who has edit privileges for library entries?

I'm aware that Science Advisors can edit any entry.

I know of a non-staff PF member who was able to edit an entry they created, which makes sense. But another PF member has said he was unable to edit an entry he had created. He is a Homework Helper but not a Science Advisor.

Did a setting get changed within the last 4 months or so, or is there some weird glitch with who gets edit privileges in the library? Does it matter if the entry is in moderation or has been approved?

Thanks,

RB

Last edited:

Redbelly98 said:
But another PF member has said he was unable to edit an entry he had created. He is a Homework Helper but not a Science Advisor.

Just checked. I am able to edit my own entries, entries created by others, and also entries in moderation.

Last edited:

dx said:
Just checked. I am able to edit my own entries, entries created by others, and also entries in moderation.

Thanks for checking that out, the https://www.physicsforums.com/library.php?do=view_item&itemid=238" entry is in fact what prompted me to post here on this issue. I'm more convinced now that some weird glitch is preventing turin, the article's Creator, from editing it.

(For the record, dx is currently a PF Contributor and Homework Helper, and not a Science Advisor.)

Last edited by a moderator:

tiny-tim said:
Yes, Greg … I just got about 50 notifications, all sent at 2253 GMT! :biggrin:

Thanks for fixing it. :smile:

For the record, after that I got no notifications until exactly seven months later (today, 17th September), when I got 32 notifications in 2 minutes. :smile:

But no notifications of edits of my own entries, and no option to subscribe to them. :frown:

(btw, are the notifications only for edits, or are they for comments also? :confused:)

Yeah, I got 2 messages today about edits to library items.

tiny-tim said:
For the record, after that I got no notifications until exactly seven months later (today, 17th September), when I got 32 notifications in 2 minutes. :smile:

Again, for the record, since 17th September, I got no notifications until over five months later (today, 26th February), when I got 21 notifications in 1 minute. :rolleyes:

tiny-tim said:
Again, for the record, since 17th September, I got no notifications until over five months later (today, 26th February), when I got 21 notifications in 1 minute. :rolleyes:

you are mr popular :biggrin:

Greg releases the notifications manually. And he times a major dump on you just when you announce that you want to have a quiet weekend in the woods. :devil:

1. What are some common Latex issues that scientists encounter when editing library entries?

Some common Latex issues that scientists may encounter when editing library entries include formatting errors, missing references or citations, incorrect use of symbols or equations, and compatibility issues with different versions of Latex.

2. How can scientists fix formatting errors in Latex when editing library entries?

To fix formatting errors in Latex, scientists can check for any missing or incorrect syntax, use the appropriate commands for formatting equations or symbols, and ensure that the document class and packages are compatible with the version of Latex being used.

3. What should scientists do if they encounter missing references or citations in a library entry?

If scientists encounter missing references or citations in a library entry, they should check that the bibliography file is correctly linked to the document, use the correct citation commands, and make sure that the references are properly formatted according to the chosen bibliography style.

4. How can scientists fix incorrect use of symbols or equations in Latex?

To fix incorrect use of symbols or equations in Latex, scientists should check for any missing or incorrect commands, use the appropriate symbols or equations for their intended purpose, and ensure that the math mode is properly indicated.

5. How can scientists ensure that their Latex library entry is compatible with different versions of Latex?

To ensure compatibility with different versions of Latex, scientists should use the most up-to-date packages and document class, avoid using deprecated commands, and test the document on different versions of Latex before submitting it to the library.