Challenge, tell me what the u is about in ten easy steps

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Challenge
In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of understanding cosmology and the steps involved in fitting data to the Friedman 1922 model. The model is a distance function that depends on a time-varying scale factor and is governed by two simple equations. The time used in the Friedman equations is measured by observers at rest with respect to the Background, which is an almost perfectly uniform thermal soup of microwave. Spatial distances are measured between observers at rest, although this can only be done approximately. The conversation is based on a comment made by Redbelly, who shows excellent judgment in this and other occasions.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Can anyone take up this challenge?

Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
Can anyone take up this challenge?

Sure. Five steps. The universe is what cosmologists study. So I just have to tell you what Cosmology is about.

1. Cosmology is about fitting data to the Friedman 1922 model.
The more precision data you fit, the more refined estimates you get of the model parameters. You expect to keep refining until eventually you find a discrepancy that forces you to change the model.

2. The Friedman model is basically a distance function (metric) in which spatial distances depend on a time-varying scalefactor a(t), and the growth of this scalefactor a(t) is governed by two simple equations. (Look up "Friedmann equations" in wikipedia, so I don't have to write them down.)

3. I have to tell you what the time is, that the Friedman equations work by, and according to which the scalefactor a(t) grows. And I have to say what spatial distances are, that have this factor in them.

4. Friedman time is what observers measure who are at rest with respect to the Background. No doppler hotspot in any direction. (Some uniformity assumptions, homog and iso, help out here.) Observers are at the same universe-time if they see the same Background temperature. At present the Background is an almost perfectly uniform thermal soup of microwave, the CMB.

5. Spatial distances are those measured at some specified time between observers at rest. This can only be done approximately since any real measurement has some duration, even if it is broken up into small simultaneously measured increments. (You didn't ask about technicalities but I'll throw that one in for free :biggrin: )

Wolram, I was encouraged to choose this way to tell the story by a comment that Redbelly made, essentially about this very issue:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2157775#post2157775
Have a look at his comment. I think he shows excellent judgment, and not only on this occasion. :biggrin:

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of the "Challenge, tell me what the u is about in ten easy steps" experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to challenge individuals to concisely explain a complex topic, such as the letter "u", in a limited number of steps. It aims to test one's ability to break down and communicate information effectively.

2. How many steps are allowed in the "Challenge, tell me what the u is about in ten easy steps" experiment?

As the name suggests, the experiment allows a maximum of ten steps to explain the topic. This adds an element of difficulty as the individual must carefully choose the most important and relevant information to include.

3. Can the topic of the "Challenge, tell me what the u is about in ten easy steps" experiment be anything?

Yes, the topic can be anything that one wishes to explain in ten steps. It can be a simple concept or a complex idea, as long as it can be broken down into ten steps.

4. How is the "Challenge, tell me what the u is about in ten easy steps" experiment evaluated?

The evaluation of the experiment is subjective and can vary depending on the person conducting it. However, the main criteria for evaluation are clarity, conciseness, and effectiveness in explaining the topic in ten steps.

5. Is the "Challenge, tell me what the u is about in ten easy steps" experiment meant for a specific audience?

No, this experiment is open to anyone who is interested in taking up the challenge. It can be a fun exercise for individuals of all ages and backgrounds, as it tests one's ability to communicate effectively.