Photoelectric Effect and Temperature.

In summary, at any temperature above absolute zero, following Fermi's distribution there will be a few electrons with greater energy than Fermi level - some of them could even have enough energy to escape the crystal. This is called thermionic emission, and it's a separate process altogether. With the usual formula, we can calculate the frequency of such photons; at high temperatures, there will be electrons which still lack only a few tenths eV to escape the metal, and even a low-energy photon will be enough for them to leave the surface.
Jules18
If a substance is warmer, is it easier for it to emit photoelectrons?

I was thinking that maybe light of lower frequency would be required.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jules18 said:
If a substance is warmer, is it easier for it to emit photoelectrons?

I was thinking that maybe light of lower frequency would be required.

Hmm... I'm just guessing based on my knowledge, but I'd say the answer is YES.

We're talking about metals, right? So, at any temperature above absolute zero, following Fermi's distribution there will be a few electrons with greater energy than Fermi level - some of them could even have enough energy to escape the crystal. That's what happens when you really heat up the metal: thermoionic emission, without help of light, just based on thermal energy. So, it's a statistical matter, I think. At high temperatures, there will be electrons which still lack only a few tenths eV to escape the metal, and even a low-energy photon will be enough for them to leave the surface. Actually, I think at temperatures aboze absolute zero the photoelectric effect can't really begin just above a certain frequency - maybe it'll grow very fast, but it won't just pop out of nothingness. For semiconductors it's a different story, of course.

Gan_HOPE326 said:
So, at any temperature above absolute zero, following Fermi's distribution there will be a few electrons with greater energy than Fermi level - some of them could even have enough energy to escape the crystal.

That's called thermionic emission; it's a separate process entirely.

Vanadium 50 said:
That's called thermionic emission; it's a separate process entirely.

But since the work function depends on the nature/structure of the substance one might expect that it changes with temperature.

Dadface said:
But since the work function depends on the nature/structure of the substance one might expect that it changes with temperature.

It does, but I don't think Vanadium is disputing that.

In a typical metal, the higher the temperature, the lower the effective work function since, as has been mentioned, there's a larger Fermi broadening of the electron energy distribution around the Fermi energy.

Zz.

I'd say the thing works more or less like this. Let's call EF the Fermi level, and EG the energy an electron must possesses to escape the metal. Then:

1) At 0 K, the electrons possesses at most EF energy. Then, to stimulate photoelectric emission, photons with EG - EF will be needed. With the usual formula, we can calculate the frequency of such photons;

2) At T > 0 K, there will be a certain amount (even little) of electrons with energy greater than EF. Then even photons with less energy than EG - EF will be able to extract them: although, they are few, so this current will have low intensity;

3) At T >> 0 K, there will even be electrons possessing an energy of EG. These electrons will be able to escape themselves the metal, without relying on photons. And that would be the thermionic emission.

I found here and there on the net some articles about experiments demonstrating how, with the same intensity of yellow light, magnesium's photoelectric emission increases with temperature, while this effect was less noticeable with light of higher frequency. I'd say this must be due to the fact that increasing the temperature, the number of electrons possessing an energy, say, EF2, greater than EF, so that EG - EF2 is equal to the energy of a yellow light photon, increases.

1. What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect is a phenomenon where certain metals emit electrons when light of a specific frequency is shone on them. This was first discovered by Albert Einstein and has been studied extensively in the field of quantum mechanics.

2. How does temperature affect the photoelectric effect?

Increasing the temperature of a metal can increase the number of electrons emitted due to the photoelectric effect. This is because at higher temperatures, more electrons have enough energy to overcome the work function of the metal and escape into the surrounding area.

3. What is the work function in relation to the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required to remove an electron from a metal surface. It is different for each metal and is a key factor in determining the effectiveness of the photoelectric effect.

4. Can the photoelectric effect occur with any type of light?

No, the photoelectric effect only occurs with light of a specific frequency, known as the threshold frequency. If the frequency of the light is below the threshold, no electrons will be emitted regardless of the intensity of the light.

5. How has the photoelectric effect been used in technology?

The photoelectric effect has been used in a variety of technologies, including solar panels, photocells, and photomultiplier tubes. It has also played a crucial role in the development of quantum mechanics and our understanding of the particle-wave duality of light.