Exploring Thermal Light: The Candle Flame Mystery

In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between atomic and thermal light. The speaker explains that atomic light is created when electrons in a specific type of atom absorb and release specific frequencies of light, while thermal light comes from the blackbody radiation of an object. They also mention that certain colors of light, such as yellow candle light and red neon light, are characteristic of specific atoms. Finally, the speaker notes that both flashlights and candles emit the same type of light, further supporting the idea that most of the light from a candle is thermal in origin.
Jules18
Imagine you're lighting a candle, and it emits yellow light. Because the candle flame is hot, the light is probably thermal (not atomic) in origin. Right?
If you made a spectrum of the candle light, it would appear to be continuous, and that would confirm experimentally that the light was thermal in origin, or so my teacher tells me. But I have no idea why.

I think I get the gist of atomic light. The way I understand, electrons in a certain type of atom absorb light of certain frequencies and then rerelease light of the same frequencies. (eg: neon burns red)
But what's thermal light??
This whole concept drives me crazy.

Science news on Phys.org
Everything your teacher has told you is correct. "Atomic" light is the name for photons that are released when an electron undergoes a quantum leap between orbitals which are quantized and thus you only see specific discrete wavelengths emitted. "Thermal" light is photons that come from the blackbody radiation of an object (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbody_radiation)

Thank you, that link was helpful.

Yellow candle light, red neon light, and yellow sodium light (actually a doublet) are characteristic atomic emission lines of the specific atoms in question. For real thermal emission spectrum, heat a piece of steel with a torch to a red glow, or look at the filament of an incadescent light bulb as a function of input current.

OK I'm not sure that's true, but thanks for the input.

I'm pretty sure most of the light from a candle is going to be entirely blackbody. Evidenced by the fact that flashlights (which use a heated metal element) and candles give off the same kind of light and furthermore that candles can be made of a number of differnet substances

1. What is thermal light?

Thermal light is a type of light that is produced by heating an object, such as a candle flame. It is also known as incandescent light and is emitted as a result of thermal radiation.

2. How does a candle flame produce thermal light?

A candle flame produces thermal light through a process known as incandescence. The heat from the flame causes the molecules in the wax to vibrate, which in turn emits light in the visible spectrum.

3. Why does the color of the candle flame change as it burns?

The color of a candle flame changes as it burns because of the changing temperature of the flame. As the flame burns, the temperature increases, causing the color of the light emitted to shift from red to yellow, and eventually to blue as it reaches its hottest point.

4. How does the distance from the flame affect the intensity of the thermal light?

The intensity of thermal light decreases as the distance from the flame increases. This is because the energy from the flame is spread out over a larger area, resulting in a lower concentration of light.

5. Can thermal light be used for practical purposes?

Yes, thermal light can be used for practical purposes, such as in incandescent light bulbs and some types of heaters. However, it is not as efficient as other types of light sources, such as LED or fluorescent lights.