Replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft

In summary, the problem involves determining the diameter of a solid shaft made of the same material and subjected to the same maximum shear stress and torque as a hollow shaft with external and internal diameters of 400mm and 200mm. The equations used include the formula for polar moment of inertia and the relationship between torque, shear stress, and radius. The initial attempt at solving the problem was incorrect and it was pointed out by the tutor that the correct approach would involve setting the two shear stresses equal and substituting the appropriate values. There is a difference between the equations for thin and thick-walled hollow shafts, but in this case, the exact formula was recommended over an approximate one.
stainton1

Homework Statement

" determine the diameter of a replacement solid shaft manufactured from the same material and subjected to the same maximum shear stress and torque"

Ok so I previously calculated the following:

Maximum shear stress= 35.8 x 106
Torque= 450.117 x 103
Hollow shaft external and internal diameters= 400mm and 200mm

Homework Equations

T/J = shear stress/r

J= Pi x d4/32

r= D/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically I attemted it in a very long winded way which was found to be wrong when I went through it with my tutor. What happened was I went off an example we done in class which was similar but for replacing a solid shaft with a hollow one whereas I am wanting to replace a hollow shaft with a solid one. I've read the rules on here and I know its not a place to get your assignments done for you but I was hoping someone would be able to give me an explanation and point me in the right direction as my tutor isn't being to helpful. Cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
stainton1: Hint: Look up or write the formula for polar moment of inertia, J1, of a round tube. Set shear stress tau1 = tau2. Substitute.

Last edited:
Isn't there a difference in the equations for a thin versus thick-walled hollow shaft?

DannoXYZ: In the limit, yes, you can obtain a different, approximate formula for a thin tube. But why bother with an approximate formula, when you can instead use the exact formula. Besides, stainton1 does not have a thin tube.

1. What is the purpose of replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft?

Replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft is done to increase the strength and load-bearing capacity of the shaft. A solid shaft can handle higher torque and bending forces, making it suitable for heavy-duty applications.

2. How do you determine the size of the solid shaft needed to replace a hollow shaft?

The size of the solid shaft needed to replace a hollow shaft is determined by the diameter and wall thickness of the hollow shaft. The solid shaft should have the same outer diameter as the hollow shaft, but with a thicker wall to compensate for the material removed from the inside.

3. Can any hollow shaft be replaced with a solid shaft?

No, not all hollow shafts can be replaced with a solid shaft. The decision to replace a hollow shaft with a solid shaft should be based on the specific application and the load requirements. It is important to consult with an engineer to determine if a solid shaft is suitable for the intended use.

4. What materials are commonly used for solid shafts?

The most commonly used materials for solid shafts include steel, stainless steel, and aluminum. The choice of material depends on the application, as each material has its own strengths and limitations in terms of strength, weight, and corrosion resistance.

5. Is replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft a difficult process?

The process of replacing a hollow shaft with a solid shaft can vary depending on the specific application and the type of machinery involved. In some cases, it may be a simple process of removing the old shaft and replacing it with the new one. However, in more complex systems, it may require specialized tools and expertise. It is best to consult with a professional for proper installation.