Gauss Mapping of Surfaces in R^n: Intrinsic or Not?

• Thread starter wofsy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Extrinsic
In summary, the Gauss curvature of a surface is intrinsic, meaning it is an invariant of local isometry. The same question arises for higher-dimensional hypersurfaces, where the Gauss curvature is defined as the determinant of the Gauss mapping into the unit sphere. The connection on a 2-dimensional surface is induced by the Gauss mapping, making the Gauss curvature intrinsic. However, it is not clear how Gauss curvature is defined for higher-dimensional surfaces, but the Ricci scalar will always be an intrinsic quantity. The Ricci tensor may represent sectional Gaussian curvature on a 2-dimensional surface, but this is not certain.
wofsy
The Gauss curvature of a surface in R^3 is intrinsic i.e. it is an invariant of local isometry.

For a hyper-surface of R^n is this also true? By this I mean: The Gauss curvature is the determinant of the Gauss mapping of the surface into the unit sphere. Is the determinant of the Gauss mapping of a hypersurface in higher dimensions also intrinsic?

I am not sure if you can restate this question as follows.

Is the connection on a 2d surface induced by the Gauss mapping? i.e. is it the pull back of the standard connection on the unit sphere under the Gauss mapping? If so this would make the Gauss curvature intrinsic. Same question about connections for higher dimensions.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
On a 2-surface, the Ricci scalar is equal to twice the Gauss curvature, so yes, it is an intrinsic quantity in general.

I'm not sure how you define Gauss curvature for higher-dimensional surfaces. Of course, the Ricci scalar will always be an intrinsic quantity, regardless. I think the Ricci tensor represents sectional Gaussian curvature; i.e., plug in two vectors, and the result Ric(u,v) gives you the local Gaussian curvature on the 2-dimensional surface spanned by u and v. I could be wrong on that, though.

1. What is the Gauss mapping of a surface in R^n?

The Gauss mapping of a surface in R^n is a mathematical tool used to describe the behavior of a surface in higher dimensional space. It maps points on the surface to a corresponding point in a lower dimensional space, providing a way to visualize and analyze the surface's intrinsic properties.

2. Is the Gauss mapping intrinsic or extrinsic?

The Gauss mapping can be either intrinsic or extrinsic, depending on the context in which it is used. Intrinsic Gauss mapping considers the surface as an independent mathematical object, while extrinsic Gauss mapping takes into account the surface's embedding in a higher dimensional space.

3. How is the Gauss mapping calculated?

The Gauss mapping is calculated using the Gaussian curvature and the normal vector of the surface at a given point. The normal vector is used to determine the direction in which the surface is bending, while the Gaussian curvature measures the amount of bending at that point.

4. What are the applications of Gauss mapping?

Gauss mapping has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is used in differential geometry to study the intrinsic properties of surfaces, in robotics for motion planning, and in computer graphics for surface reconstruction and deformation.

5. Are there any limitations to Gauss mapping?

While the Gauss mapping is a powerful tool, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to smooth surfaces and may not accurately represent surfaces with sharp edges or corners. Additionally, it may be difficult to compute in higher dimensions or for complex surfaces.