Calculating electron mobility in a rod

In summary, the problem involves calculating the electron mobility in a cylindrical aluminum rod based on its dimensions, thermal conductivity, and the number of valence electrons per atom.
LucosidE
Studying for final, this is one of the suggested questions, I have no idea how to approach it.

Homework Statement

A cylindrical aluminum rod of 2 mm in diameter and 5 cm in length has a thermal conductivity of 237 W m-1 K-1 at 300 K. Calculate the electron mobility in the rod if aluminum has 3 valence electrons per atom, density of 2.7 g cm-3 and atomic mass of 26.98.

Homework Equations

The way i see it is i need to calculate conductance and then drift mobility
n=3d*Na/Ma
c = e*n*Md

trying to find Md

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the number of electrons/cm^-3
but i have no idea where to go from there.

How is electrical conductivity dependent on thermal conductivity??

Physics news on Phys.org
To calculate electron mobility, you need to first calculate the electrical conductivity. The electrical conductivity can be calculated using the number of electrons per atom, the atomic mass, and the density. You can then use the thermal conductivity to calculate the drift mobility, which is the ratio of electrical conductivity to thermal conductivity.

1. What is electron mobility?

Electron mobility is a measure of how easily electrons can move through a material under the influence of an electric field. It is commonly expressed in units of cm^2/Vs.

2. How is electron mobility calculated?

Electron mobility is calculated by dividing the electron drift velocity by the applied electric field. The electron drift velocity can be determined through experiments or simulations, while the electric field can be measured directly or calculated using known parameters such as voltage and distance.

3. What factors affect electron mobility?

Several factors can affect electron mobility, including the material's crystal structure, temperature, impurities, and the strength of the applied electric field. In general, higher temperatures and stronger electric fields can decrease electron mobility, while impurities can increase it.

4. Why is calculating electron mobility important?

Calculating electron mobility is important because it provides valuable information about the electrical properties of a material. It can help scientists and engineers understand how electrons move through a material, which is crucial for developing electronic devices and conducting research on new materials.

5. Can electron mobility be increased?

Yes, electron mobility can be increased through various methods such as reducing impurities, optimizing the crystal structure, and using higher purity materials. However, there are limits to how much electron mobility can be increased for a given material.