Landau Lifshitz's statement on Coordinates, velocity & acceleration

In summary, in Landau-Lifgarbagez Classical Mech, the statement on page 1 in Chapter - Equation of Motion states that if all coordinates and velocities are known at some instant, the accelerations at that instant are uniquely defined. However, the possibility of infinite values of instantaneous acceleration may lead to confusion or misinterpretation. It is important to understand that the uniqueness of the solution comes from the theory of ODEs and not from the actual numerical values of the coordinates and velocities. The book is written at a high level and further explanation may be provided later on.
bubba_bones
In Landau-Lifgarbagez Classical Mech there is a statement - " Mathematically if all the coordinates 'q' and velocities 'qdot' are given at some instant, the accelerations 'q double-dot' at that instant is uniquely defined" on page 1 in Chapter - Equation of Motion. "

However, I always thought infinite values of instantaneous acceleration are possible with such a knowledge of instantaneous velocities and given coordinates , how could one say that they were unique !

Am I wrong or have I been misinterpreting the statement ?

Thanks in advance for help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
bubba_bones said:
In Landau-Lifgarbagez Classical Mech there is a statement - " Mathematically if all the coordinates 'q' and velocities 'qdot' are given at some instant, the accelerations 'q double-dot' at that instant is uniquely defined" on page 1 in Chapter - Equation of Motion. "

However, I always thought infinite values of instantaneous acceleration are possible with such a knowledge of instantaneous velocities and given coordinates , how could one say that they were unique !

Am I wrong or have I been misinterpreting the statement ?

Thanks in advance for help :)

I'll take a stab at this, but I am not sure that I have the correct interpretation.

If the values of the coordinates and velocities at some instant are known, *and* if the equations of motion are given as a second-order differential equations, then there are unique solutions to the differential equations of motion, and thus the accelerations are uniquely defined.

Well, you get the accelerations from the Lagrangian, T - V, which only includes terms proportional to q and q-dot. The uniqueness of the solution will come from the theory of ODE's, like George Jones says.

Infinite instantaneous values of acceleration are not really relevant here, since they are talking about formulas like q and q-dot, not the actual numerical evaluations of those formulas.

You should probably just keep reading and see if it gets explained later. That book is written at a high level and it is hard to understand everything the authors say. (Speaking from personal experience.)

1. What is Landau Lifshitz's statement on Coordinates, velocity & acceleration?

Landau Lifshitz's statement on Coordinates, velocity & acceleration is a fundamental principle in classical mechanics that states that the laws of physics should be the same regardless of the choice of coordinate system, and that the velocity and acceleration of an object can be described in terms of its position in space and time.

2. Who were Landau and Lifshitz?

Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz were two prominent Soviet physicists who collaborated on a number of works, including a comprehensive series of textbooks on theoretical physics. They are known for their contributions to a wide range of fields, including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and fluid dynamics.

3. What is the significance of this statement?

The significance of Landau Lifshitz's statement lies in its implications for the foundational principles of classical mechanics. It highlights the importance of a consistent and universal understanding of motion and forces, and has applications in fields such as astrophysics, engineering, and even everyday life.

4. How does this statement relate to the principle of relativity?

The principle of relativity, which states that the laws of physics should be the same for all observers in inertial frames of reference, is closely related to Landau Lifshitz's statement. Both principles emphasize the importance of a consistent and universal understanding of motion and forces, and are fundamental to our understanding of the physical world.

5. Are there any limitations to this statement?

While Landau Lifshitz's statement is a powerful and useful principle, it is not without its limitations. It is based on classical mechanics, which does not fully take into account the effects of quantum mechanics or relativistic effects at high speeds. Additionally, it assumes a static and uniform space-time, which may not hold true in extreme situations such as near black holes or during the early stages of the universe.