Writing A Trig Expression as an Algebraic Expression

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a trigonometric expression to an algebraic expression. The individual attempts to solve it by rewriting the equation and using inverse properties, but is unsure of how to proceed due to the 2 in front of the arccos term. Another person suggests using the formula cos(2u)=1-2sin2u and simplifying with the u in place to get the final answer of 8x2-1.
themadhatter1

Homework Statement

Write the Trigonometric Expression as an algebraic expression.

cos(2arccos 2x)

Homework Equations

Probably the inverse properties, I'm not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I can rewrite this equation as.

u= arccos 2x

cos(2cos u=2x)

I can also say that the adjacent leg is 2x units long and the hypotenuse is 1 unit long. Then using the pythagorean theorm I can figure the opposite leg to be sqrt(1-4x2)

I'm not sure If this is necessary though can someone point me in the right direction? The 2 in front of the arccos is throwing me off because if that wasn't there I would just use the inverse property and cos(arccos 2x) would equal 2x.

Physics news on Phys.org
If u=cos-1(2x) then you want to find cos(2u).

cos(2u)=cos2u-sin2u=2cos2u-1 = 1-2sin2u

and cos2u = (cosu)2

I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to find cos(2u)

The answer is supposed to be 8x2-1 and that's the answer listed in the back of the book.

themadhatter1 said:
I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to find cos(2u)

The answer is supposed to be 8x2-1 and that's the answer listed in the back of the book.

cos(2cos-1(2x))

if you put u = cos-1(2x), wouldn't cos(2cos-1(2x)) become cos(2u)?

Thanks, now I understand.

Once you have simplified it to 2cos2u-1 all you have to do is simplify it with the u in place

cos2(arcsin 2x)=2x

2(2x)2-1

8x2-1

Thanks!

What is a trig expression?

A trig expression is an expression that contains trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These functions are commonly used to represent relationships between angles and sides in a right triangle.

How do I write a trig expression as an algebraic expression?

To write a trig expression as an algebraic expression, you need to replace the trigonometric functions with their corresponding algebraic expressions using the definitions of these functions. For example, sine can be replaced with the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse in a right triangle.

Why is it important to be able to write trig expressions as algebraic expressions?

Being able to write trig expressions as algebraic expressions allows you to simplify and manipulate these expressions using algebraic rules. It also helps in solving trigonometric equations and problems.

What are some common mistakes when writing a trig expression as an algebraic expression?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to use the definitions of the trigonometric functions, mixing up the ratios of sides in a right triangle, and not simplifying the resulting algebraic expression. It is important to double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.

Can I use trig identities to write a trig expression as an algebraic expression?

Yes, trig identities can be used to write a trig expression as an algebraic expression. These identities allow you to rewrite a trigonometric function in terms of other trigonometric functions, which can be helpful in simplifying the expression.