Solid State Physics: Charles Kittel vs. Ashcroft

In summary, the conversation discusses the introduction of solid state physics and the recommended books by Charles Kittel and Ashcroft. The individual is concerned about the negative reviews of Kittel's book and is asking for advice on whether the two books cover the same material and if they are suitable for a novice in solid state physics. In response, it is suggested to consider the book by Dekker as it is suitable for both undergraduate and graduate students.
SANGHERA.JAS
Hello everyone,
I am an undergraduate student and this year I am going to study Introductory Solid State Physics. My instructor has assigned us book of Charles Kittel. But the book has got terrible reviews on amazon. So I fear purchasing it. However there is an another book by Ashcroft that has got pretty good reviews. My question is:
1. Are these two books similar that is do they cover same material.
2. As I am totally novice in solid state physics, are these books especially Ashcroft's book, suitable for me. (I have sufficient background).
Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
for solid state physics prefer dekker it is so good for the beginner

sanghera.jas said:
hello everyone,
i am an undergraduate student and this year i am going to study introductory solid state physics. My instructor has assigned us book of charles kittel. But the book has got terrible reviews on amazon. So i fear purchasing it. However there is an another book by ashcroft that has got pretty good reviews. My question is:
1. Are these two books similar that is do they cover same material.
2. As i am totally novice in solid state physics, are these books especially ashcroft's book, suitable for me. (i have sufficient background).
Thank you.

hai i would suggest you solid state physics by dekker it is so good for under graduate students as well as graduate students.

physicsdoubts said:
for solid state physics prefer dekker it is so good for the beginner
Thank you.

As a scientist with expertise in solid state physics, I would like to offer my perspective on this topic. First of all, it is important to note that both Charles Kittel and Neil Ashcroft are highly respected and renowned physicists in the field of solid state physics. They have both made significant contributions to the field and their books are widely used as textbooks in universities around the world.

To answer your first question, yes, both books cover similar material in terms of the fundamental concepts and principles of solid state physics. However, they may differ in their approach and presentation style. Kittel's book is known for its concise and clear explanations, while Ashcroft's book is more detailed and rigorous. It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences.

As for your second question, it is important to note that both books are suitable for beginners in solid state physics. However, Ashcroft's book may require a stronger background in mathematics and physics compared to Kittel's book. If you have a good understanding of basic physics and mathematics, then Ashcroft's book should not be a problem for you.

In conclusion, both books by Kittel and Ashcroft are excellent resources for learning solid state physics. It is ultimately up to you to decide which book best suits your learning style and needs. I would recommend browsing through both books and reading some reviews to get a better understanding of their content and style before making a decision. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is the difference between Charles Kittel and Ashcroft in their contributions to Solid State Physics?

Charles Kittel is best known for his work in understanding the magnetic properties of solids, while Ashcroft's contributions include the development of the theory of Fermi liquids and the understanding of the properties of insulators.

2. Which book is considered the standard reference for Solid State Physics: Charles Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics" or Ashcroft's "Solid State Physics"?

Both books are widely used as standard references in the field of Solid State Physics. Kittel's book is more focused on the physical properties of solids, while Ashcroft's book covers a wider range of topics including electronic properties and quantum mechanics.

3. What are some key concepts in Solid State Physics that are covered in both Charles Kittel and Ashcroft's books?

Both books cover topics such as crystal structure, electronic band structure, lattice vibrations, and magnetic properties of solids. They also both discuss the effects of temperature and external forces on these properties.

4. Which book is more suitable for beginners in the field of Solid State Physics?

Kittel's "Introduction to Solid State Physics" is often considered to be more accessible for beginners due to its clear explanations and examples. However, both books are widely used as introductory texts and it ultimately depends on the reader's personal preference.

5. Are there any major differences in the mathematical approach between Charles Kittel and Ashcroft's books?

While both books use mathematical equations to explain the physical properties of solids, Kittel's book tends to use more advanced mathematical techniques, making it more suitable for advanced readers. Ashcroft's book, on the other hand, is known for its clear and concise mathematical explanations that are suitable for both beginners and advanced readers.