Cumulative Frequency Homework: Solving (a) and (b)

• Thread starter cyt91
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frequency
In summary, the problem involves a random variable X uniformly distributed between 0 and 1, with two independent observations X1 and X2. The sum of these two observations, Y = X1 + X2, is taken as a point on the line X1 + X2 = Y in a cartesian plane. The range of Y is triangular, with 0 ≤ Y ≤ 1. The goal is to find the cumulative distribution function P(Y ≤ y) for two cases: y < 1 and y > 1.
cyt91

Homework Statement

A random variable X is uniformly distributed between 0 and 1. Two independent observations are made,X1 and X2. Take (X1,X2 ) as a point on the lines X1 +X2 =Y in a cartesian plane. X1 +X2 =Y is triangular.
(a) show that , for 0≤ Y≤ 1, P( X1 +X2 =Y)= ½ Y2

(b) show that , for 1≤ Y≤ 2, P( X1 +X2 =Y)=1- ½ (2-Y)2

Homework Equations

f(x)=[tex]\frac{1}{b-a}[/tex] ,for uniform distribution

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that f(x)=1 for 0≤ x≤ 1 since X is uniformly distributed. But how do I solve (a).
Can anyone show me the solution for (a) only so that I could solve (b) myself?

Thanks a lot!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
cyt91 said:

Homework Statement

A random variable X is uniformly distributed between 0 and 1. Two independent observations are made,X1 and X2. Take (X1,X2 ) as a point on the lines X1 +X2 =Y in a cartesian plane. X1 +X2 =Y is triangular.
(a) show that , for 0≤ Y≤ 1, P( X1 +X2 =Y)= ½ Y2

This is a very confused statement of the problem. First of all, I suppose that last Y2 is supposed to be Y2. Use the X2 icon for superscripts.

Secondly, you are apparently confused between a random variable Y and its range. Here you are giving Y as the sum of two random variables: Y = X1 + X2 (you can use the subscript button too). Per the title of your post, you are apparently seeking the cumulative distribution function for Y. The usual notation is to use lower case for the range values, so you want to calculate P(Y ≤ y) = P(X1 + X2 ≤ y), not P( X1 +X2 =Y). This is where you have two cases depending on whether y < 1 or y > 1.

Does stating the problem clearly help you any?

What is cumulative frequency?

Cumulative frequency is a statistical measure that indicates the total number of observations that fall below a certain value in a frequency distribution. It is calculated by adding up all the frequencies up to a particular value.

How do you solve for cumulative frequency?

To solve for cumulative frequency, you can use a cumulative frequency table or graph. Start by listing all the values in ascending order and then add up the frequencies as you go along. Alternatively, you can use the formula CF = Σf, where CF is the cumulative frequency and Σf is the sum of all the frequencies up to a particular value.

What is the purpose of solving for cumulative frequency?

Solving for cumulative frequency allows you to see the distribution of a data set and identify trends or patterns. It also helps in calculating other statistical measures such as median, quartiles, and percentiles.

What are the differences between solving for (a) and (b) in cumulative frequency homework?

(a) and (b) typically refer to the lower and upper cumulative frequencies, respectively. Solving for (a) involves adding up all the frequencies below a certain value, while solving for (b) involves adding up all the frequencies up to and including a certain value.

What are some common mistakes when solving for cumulative frequency?

Some common mistakes when solving for cumulative frequency include not sorting the values in ascending order, miscalculating the frequencies, and not including the final value in the summation for (b). It is important to double-check your work and make sure you understand the concept before attempting to solve for cumulative frequency.