YOU: Fix the US Energy Crisis

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary: Phase 3, 50 years, decision-making, maintenance, and possible expansion. -Continue implimenting the solutions from Phase 2, with the goal of reaching net-zero emissions. This would be a huge undertaking and would cost hundreds of billions of dollars. -Maintain the current infrastructure (roads, buildings, factories) and find ways to make them more energy efficient. -Explore the possibility of expanding the frontier of science and technology, looking into things like artificial intelligence, nanotechnology, and genetic engineering. This could lead to new and even more amazing discoveries, but it would also cost a fortune.
  • #1,191
AJacq said:
The idea is intriguing but I am skeptical (just as the author of the article) :

- Gasoline is about 1000 denser in energy than methane : so for every litre of gasoline we want to replace we need to produce 1000 litres of e-gas.

- How much renewable energy is required to produce e-gas energy ? To illustrate my point, let's take a totally hypothetical 2:1 ratio for example purposes... every time we want one extra unit of e-gas we have to built infrastructures that produce 2 units of energy from renewable sources... but renewable sources have variable outputs so extra capacity is required to insure constant production of e-gas, so we get a 3:1 ratio to account for variability... but those infrastructures require energy for fabrication, deployment and maintenance, so we get a 4:1 ratio... in the end would we be using 4 units of energy to make 1 unit energy... I'm not sure that can be sustained long-term, on a global scale.

... and I also may be way off in my reasoning (I'm not a scientist) !
Gasoline might be 1000 denser in energy than methane but that is only it's energy density by volume.To get a more precise picture of a substances energy content you have to take into account it's net calorific value by mass. When you look at that, the difference between gasoline and methane is not much.

Likes AJacq
Engineering news on Phys.org
  • #1,192
AJacq said:
The idea is intriguing but I am skeptical (just as the author of the article) :

- Gasoline is about 1000 denser in energy than methane : so for every litre of gasoline we want to replace we need to produce 1000 litres of e-gas.

- How much renewable energy is required to produce e-gas energy ? To illustrate my point, let's take a totally hypothetical 2:1 ratio for example purposes... every time we want one extra unit of e-gas we have to built infrastructures that produce 2 units of energy from renewable sources... but renewable sources have variable outputs so extra capacity is required to insure constant production of e-gas, so we get a 3:1 ratio to account for variability... but those infrastructures require energy for fabrication, deployment and maintenance, so we get a 4:1 ratio... in the end would we be using 4 units of energy to make 1 unit energy... I'm not sure that can be sustained long-term, on a global scale.

... and I also may be way off in my reasoning (I'm not a scientist) !
From what I have read the process is now about 70% efficient, which means it would take 55 Kwh
to make a gallon of gasoline, and about 58 Kwh for a gallon of diesel fuel.
Someone went to the trouble to figure out how many acres of solar panels it would take to generate
1 Gwh per year (2.8 acres).
http://www.energymanagertoday.com/i...wh-of-solar-energy-per-year-says-nrel-094185/
Based on that, the 2.8 acres would generate enough energy to create around 18,000 gallons of gasoline per year.
Countries like Iceland with geothermal resources, could become net fuel exporters.

Likes AJacq
  • #1,193
Buckleymanor said:
Gasoline might be 1000 denser in energy than methane but that is only it's energy density by volume.To get a more precise picture of a substances energy content you have to take into account it's net calorific value by mass. When you look at that, the difference between gasoline and methane is not much.

I agree : energy density (MJ/L) versus specific energy (MJ/kg)

Gasoline : 34 MJ/L and 46 MJ/kg
Methane : 0.0364 MJ/L and 55 MJ/kg

It's a force of habit because I tend to look at a situation in a business way... here is my reasoning : If I need to carry/transport 1000 MJ of energy, with gasoline I'm figuring 30 litres weighing 22 kg, with methane I'm figuring 28000 litres weighing 18 kg... but what about the size and weight of the container ? With gasoline two 5-gallon plastic buckets of negligible weight will do fine. With methane, I would need two 6K ultra high-pressure steel cylinders that are 60 inches tall, have a combined weight of 600 pounds and contain the methane at 6000 psi.

1000 MJ of gasoline : 30 litres and about 23 kg
1000 MJ of methane : 28000 litres and about 618 kg

How much energy will I have to expend to transport 1000 MJ of gasoline versus 1000 MJ of methane ?
How much energy will I have to expend to put (pour) 1000 MJ worth of gasoline in the 2 buckets versus to put (compress) 1000 MJ worth of methane in the 2 cylinders ?

• #1,194
johnbbahm said:
From what I have read the process is now about 70% efficient, which means it would take 55 Kwh
to make a gallon of gasoline, and about 58 Kwh for a gallon of diesel fuel.
Someone went to the trouble to figure out how many acres of solar panels it would take to generate
1 Gwh per year (2.8 acres).
http://www.energymanagertoday.com/i...wh-of-solar-energy-per-year-says-nrel-094185/
Based on that, the 2.8 acres would generate enough energy to create around 18,000 gallons of gasoline per year.
Countries like Iceland with geothermal resources, could become net fuel exporters.

Indeed !

The United States consumes about 140 billion gallons of gasoline per year... that's the equivalent of 35000 square miles of solar farm (48000 square miles with enclosed land)!... about 40% of Arizona covered in solar panels just to make gasoline.

Last edited:
  • #1,195
AJacq said:
I agree : energy density (MJ/L) versus specific energy (MJ/kg)

Gasoline : 34 MJ/L and 46 MJ/kg
Methane : 0.0364 MJ/L and 55 MJ/kg

It's a force of habit because I tend to look at a situation in a business way... here is my reasoning : If I need to carry/transport 1000 MJ of energy, with gasoline I'm figuring 30 litres weighing 22 kg, with methane I'm figuring 28000 litres weighing 18 kg... but what about the size and weight of the container ? With gasoline two 5-gallon plastic buckets of negligible weight will do fine. With methane, I would need two 6K ultra high-pressure steel cylinders that are 60 inches tall, have a combined weight of 600 pounds and contain the methane at 6000 psi.

1000 MJ of gasoline : 30 litres and about 23 kg
1000 MJ of methane : 28000 litres and about 618 kg

How much energy will I have to expend to transport 1000 MJ of gasoline versus 1000 MJ of methane ?
How much energy will I have to expend to put (pour) 1000 MJ worth of gasoline in the 2 buckets versus to put (compress) 1000 MJ worth of methane in the 2 cylinders ?
A cheaper method quite often used in industry to transport large amounts of gases is to pipe it.

Likes AJacq
  • #1,196
Buckleymanor said:
A cheaper method quite often used in industry to transport large amounts of gases is to pipe it.

Yes you're right of course... but gasoline is primarily used for cars... an average car has a 50-litre tank, so 38 kg of gasoline worth 1650 MJ... what would be the size and weight of the tank for a car that carries 1650 MJ worth of methane ? How much inefficiencies would this car sustain carrying about 1000 pounds of tank-weight.

... and how much energy would we expend to mine, transport, smelt, fabricate and install an extra 1000 pounds of high strength steel for each car... would would we still come out ahead energy wise ?

Last edited:
  • #1,197
AJacq said:
Indeed !

The United States consumes about 140 billion gallons of gasoline per year... that's the equivalent of 35000 square miles of solar farm (48000 square miles with enclosed land)!... about 40% of Arizona covered in solar panels just to make gasoline.
Consider two things,
1: What are the other alternatives?
2: There is no requirement that the solar panels be in a contiguous space.
Personal transport, is not really the problem, but Ships, tractors, and jets.
Fuel economies will continue to increase, I drove a rental in Europe in 2009 that got
an honest 59 US MPG, and was fun to drive.
I think Toyota is already making a fuel cell hybrid
https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/
As that technology improves, perhaps Mr. Carnot can finally retire.
I personally would like to see some improvements in steam reformation, to extract the hydrogen stream
from liquid hydrocarbon fuels, as storing hydrogen is still a big problem.
The point is the energy is there, just not in a high density usable form.
the ability to store and accumulate the energy in a liquid hydrocarbon format,
solves many of the problems with the alternative energy solutions.

Likes AJacq
  • #1,198
johnbbahm said:
Consider two things,
1: What are the other alternatives?
2: There is no requirement that the solar panels be in a contiguous space.
Personal transport, is not really the problem, but Ships, tractors, and jets.
Fuel economies will continue to increase, I drove a rental in Europe in 2009 that got
an honest 59 US MPG, and was fun to drive.
I think Toyota is already making a fuel cell hybrid
https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/
As that technology improves, perhaps Mr. Carnot can finally retire.
I personally would like to see some improvements in steam reformation, to extract the hydrogen stream
from liquid hydrocarbon fuels, as storing hydrogen is still a big problem.
The point is the energy is there, just not in a high density usable form.
the ability to store and accumulate the energy in a liquid hydrocarbon format,
solves many of the problems with the alternative energy solutions.

Just to be clear, I was not suggesting that a contiguous 48000 square mile solar farm be constructed... I was simply illustrating the size and scope of the solar energy requirements to replace gasoline... I used Arizona because of the abundant days of sunshine.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe much gasoline is used to supply energy to dwellings, commercial buildings or industrial parks... in those cases it's electricity and natural gas... how much coal and fossil methane is used each year in the US alone ?

I believe personal transport is part of the problem... but I agree that ships, trains, trucks, airplanes are big contributors also... I don't see trucks running on methane, much less airplanes.

Our modern society evolved and prospered in great parts through the use of readily available abundant high density energy sources... yes other energy sources are available but as I see things now they are expensive energy-wise to implement for very little energy return : the energy input is greater than the energy output... How many solar panels would it take to generate enough energy to build a solar panel ?... from mining the raw materials through to maintaining it throughout it's life-cycle... AND how much would this additional newly-added solar panel be able to contribute energy-wise to build yet another solar panel ?

As for your questions about alternatives... I honestly don't know... If I think of something I'll post it.

• #1,199
AJacq said:
Just to be clear, I was not suggesting that a contiguous 48000 square mile solar farm be constructed... I was simply illustrating the size and scope of the solar energy requirements to replace gasoline... I used Arizona because of the abundant days of sunshine.

Unless I'm mistaken, I don't believe much gasoline is used to supply energy to dwellings, commercial buildings or industrial parks... in those cases it's electricity and natural gas... how much coal and fossil methane is used each year in the US alone ?

I believe personal transport is part of the problem... but I agree that ships, trains, trucks, airplanes are big contributors also... I don't see trucks running on methane, much less airplanes.

Our modern society evolved and prospered in great parts through the use of readily available abundant high density energy sources... yes other energy sources are available but as I see things now they are expensive energy-wise to implement for very little energy return : the energy input is greater than the energy output... How many solar panels would it take to generate enough energy to build a solar panel ?... from mining the raw materials through to maintaining it throughout it's life-cycle... AND how much would this additional newly-added solar panel be able to contribute energy-wise to build yet another solar panel ?

As for your questions about alternatives... I honestly don't know... If I think of something I'll post it.
First the man made hydrocarbon fuels most likely to be made would be the liquid variety, as our infrastructure,
and uses are already in place to handle gasoline, diesel, jet fuel, ect.
Will it take a lot of area, of course, but I expect some double dipping of home solar will be involved.
A home in the south with sufficient panels to run the AC in the summer, will have abundant surpluses for as much as
six months a year. The ability to store energy over a several year time frame, means fall and spring surplus
could be directed to fuel production. Northern homes could store the surplus from long summer days for winter heating.
If we ever get any where near 50% solar homes, the grid will need some sort of dump load, so the surplus does not
damage the grid. Hydrocarbon energy storage, would be a good choice to bleed off the excess power from the grid.

Likes AJacq
  • #1,200
AJacq said:
But what about something like air travel without fossil fuels ?

JP7 is about 43,000 mj/kg. Edit oops, strike those zeroes ( thanks Ajacq)

You seem to appreciate energy density.

Perhaps with today's satellite and radar weather airships will return.

I went to a wind energy conference last year.
One of the exhibits was promoting ammonia based energy
it'll flow through existing pipelines
it's a known chemistry
and this morning i learned of a green way to make it.
http://resourceinsights.blogspot.com/2014/02/is-ammonia-holy-grail-for-renewable.html

At this point it's just an idea to be aware of and watch.

i don't know anyting about its energy density

Last edited:
Likes OmCheeto and AJacq
  • #1,201
jim hardy said:
JP7 is about 43,000 mj/kg.

it's a known chemistry
http://resourceinsights.blogspot.com/2014/02/is-ammonia-holy-grail-for-renewable.html

I may be wrong but I believe JP-7 fuel is 43.5 MJ/kg

The ammonia article is very interesting... will read up more on it... thanks !

The airship is making a come back... but no more of those hydrogen filled balloon-bombs though o0)

Likes jim hardy
  • #1,202
AJacq said:
I may be wrong but I believe JP-7 fuel is 43.5 MJ/kg

You're exactly right
i had originally used 18000 BTU/lb and forgot to delete the zeroes .. duuhh, plain absent mindedness..

• #1,203
jim hardy said:
JP7 is about 43,000 mj/kg. Edit oops, strike those zeroes ( thanks Ajacq)

it's a known chemistry

The ammonia idea is interesting!
Wiki says ammonia has 22.5 MJ/kg, so roughly half of that of JP7.

• #1,204
jim hardy said:
Gonna be a period of adjustment...
People will adjust to a smart grid saying what smart appliances can run when.
I'm curious why instructions on new human behavior so often appear in technical energy threads, especially when history indicates otherwise, and reliable clean power technology is available.

Demand shift schemes have been around for decades. They help a little at the margin, but they've never significantly moved peak load times.

Likes AJacq
  • #1,205
AJacq said:
But what about something like air travel without fossil fuels ?
Batteries. See electric aircraft studies. The technology for intracontinental air travel via batteries and electric fans is just becoming theoretically possible, if not yet intercontinental travel. One interesting possibility is that ceiling driven engine limitations disappear, opening up operation in the stratosphere.

• #1,206
There is also no need to push for electric aircraft soon. If we want to replace fossil fuels, we can start at power plants and road vehicles, and go to the <3% CO2 emissions from airplanes once battery technology improved. The chemical industry can be last, because for that we literally have to produce hydrocarbons in large amounts, which makes no sense as long as we also burn hydrocarbons (apart from load balance considerations).

Likes mheslep and AJacq
  • #1,207
mheslep said:
Batteries. See electric aircraft studies. The technology for intracontinental air travel via batteries and electric fans is just becoming theoretically possible, if not yet intercontinental travel. One interesting possibility is that ceiling driven engine limitations disappear, opening up operation in the stratosphere.

Looked it up... NASA has a small study project on such an airplane... "The drawback with electric propulsion is energy storage—dramatic improvements in battery energy density are essential before they can be used in large aircraft"

We are back to energy density and specific energy... Lithium-ion battery 2.63 MJ/L and 0,875 MJ/kg... with these numbers, the plane won't travel very far, or very fast, or with much passagers/cargo.

I'm always skeptical when I read or hear about the need for dramatic improvements.

• #1,208
mfb said:
There is also no need to push for electric aircraft soon. If we want to replace fossil fuels, we can start at power plants and road vehicles, and go to the <3% CO2 emissions from airplanes once battery technology improved. The chemical industry can be last, because for that we literally have to produce hydrocarbons in large amounts, which makes no sense as long as we also burn hydrocarbons (apart from load balance considerations).

I though the objective was to determine a viable alternative to fossil fuel energy : e.g. if we knew for sure that there would be no more fossil fuels in 100 years , what would we do today and in the next hundred years to have an alternative to fossil fuels.

What you are suggesting has more to do with the impact on environment than on energy requirements... albeit without a livable environment, it might all be for nought.

• #1,209
mheslep said:
I'm curious why instructions on new human behavior so often appear in technical energy threads, especially when history indicates otherwise, and reliable clean power technology is available.

Demand shift schemes have been around for decades. They help a little at the margin, but they've never significantly moved peak load times.

I'm curious as to which human behaviour and what history you are referring to ?

If we are referring to changes that suited human behaviour, than yes, history has shown time and again that humans embraced them readily... but when changes go against human behaviour, than change can be very difficult and painful.

• #1,210
We assume PV is the only direct conversion to useable energy because we're all famliar with it
i'm not chemist enough to know what this stuff is but if it's related to ammonia and would burn
upload_2016-5-13_11-41-49.png

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/adsc.201400556/abstract

If the chemists come up with some nitrogen-hydrogen bond that's more benign to breathe than ammonia
and can use solar energy in its production
that'd solve the solar energy storage problem of PV without batteries.

Using johnbbalm's ammoia energy density ~half jet fuel's
and aerodynamic drag in proportional to speed squared
airliners cruising at 318 knots on ammonia instead of 450 on jp7 would have the same range
seems a small enough inconvenience on intracontinental flights.

• #1,211
AJacq said:
Looked it up... NASA has a small study project on such an airplane... "The drawback with electric propulsion is energy storage—dramatic improvements in battery energy density are essential before they can be used in large aircraft"
That quote comes apparently from an aviation week writer, not NASA.

We are back to energy density and specific energy... Lithium-ion battery 2.63 MJ/L and 0,875 MJ/kg... with these numbers, the plane won't travel very far, or very fast, or with much passagers/cargo.

I'm always skeptical when I read or hear about the need for dramatic improvements.
A Future with Hybrid Electric Propulsion Systems: A NASA Perspective
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150000748.pdf

Electric aircraft max range = battery mass fraction * L/D * propulsive efficiency * battery energy density. With a battery mass fraction of 0.8, efficient air frame and L/D=35, battery density of 400 Wh/kg (1.4 MJ/kg), propulsive efficiency of 75%, then range is 3000 km, per figure 15 here. Lithium sulfur is demonstrated at 500 Wh/kg.

Comment from a well known speculator here:

Last edited:
  • #1,212
AJacq said:
I'm curious as to which human behaviour and what history you are referring to ?

If we are referring to changes that suited human behaviour, than yes, history has shown time and again that humans embraced them readily... but when changes go against human behaviour, than change can be very difficult and painful.
Well, changing our tools over time, from horse to car or train, sure, agreed. But I'd not label that behavior. The human behavior that wants to eat, drink and, say, post on the internet on its own schedule and not when told to do so, I think that won't change. That desire I think is likely to largely reject the notion that "People will adjust to a smart grid saying what smart appliances can run when."

• #1,213
mheslep said:
That quote comes apparently from an aviation week writer, not NASA.A Future with Hybrid Electric Propulsion Systems: A NASA Perspective
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20150000748.pdf

Electric aircraft max range = battery mass fraction * L/D * propulsive efficiency * battery energy density. With a battery mass fraction of 0.8, efficient air frame and L/D=35, battery density of 400 Wh/kg (1.4 MJ/kg), propulsive efficiency of 75%, then range is 3000 km, per figure 15 here. Lithium sulfur is demonstrated at 500 Wh/kg.

Comment from a well known speculator here:

Gave the article a quick read (will read more attentively when I can focus on it)... It's very interesting and 2 paragraphs caught my attention :

" For application in aircraft the most important parameters are the energy per mass E* and to a lesser extent the energy per volume V* . These specific values are shown in Figure 6 for various energy storage systems. It can be seen that even the most advanced current battery storage systems fall short of the parameters of Kerosene. While the factor in specific volume is only about 18, the factor in mass specific energy density is in the order of 60."

A factor of 60 between Wh/L of batteries versus kerosene !... that's seams like a very wide chasm to bridge (to me at least)

Hyper-performance batteries may be developed successfully, but that does not mean they will be used in aircrafts... how many plane crashes were caused by a cargo of lithium-ion batteries that caught fire ?... aren't these batteries banned as cargo on passenger flights ?

"In order to power larger aircraft a dramatic improvement in battery technology would be required. Comparing with today’s technology with specific energy values of 150 to 200 Wh/kg, the mass specific energy density would have to be increased at least by a factor of 5 to become useful. More realistic this factor would have to be in the order of 10 to attract commercial interest for larger (regional) aircraft. In this context we must note that all numerical studies presented in this paper did not consider reserves as required for commercial aircraft."

When paradigm-shifting developments are promised 30-40 years in the future I'm reminded of scientists in the 50s, 60s and 70s telling people that by the year 2000 we would all be living in Jetsons-type houses powered by mini-nuclear plants in the basement, commuting in flying cars, living on the moon, etc.

... don't mean to sound pessimistic or cynical but I don't want to be overly optimistic.

Last edited:
Likes jim hardy
  • #1,214
mheslep said:
Well, changing our tools over time, from horse to car or train, sure, agreed. But I'd not label that behavior. The human behavior that wants to eat, drink and, say, post on the internet on its own schedule and not when told to do so, I think that won't change. That desire I think is likely to largely reject the notion that "People will adjust to a smart grid saying what smart appliances can run when."

Ok... I misunderstood your meaning in your original post... I agree

• #1,215
AJacq said:

A factor of 60 between Wh/L of batteries versus kerosene !... that's seams like a very wide chasm to bridge (to me at least)...
That 'gap' does not have to bridged. Liquid hydrocarbons are impressive energy carriers, sufficient in fact to allow an aircraft to fly nonstop around the globe. But we don't need to fly around the world nonstop, or anything close to it. It's overkill. We do need things like affordability in aviation, lower noise production, shorter runways, reduced emissions. Electric aviation might well make possible in some decades.

Also, an electric propulsion system is more efficient than cumbustion, so one might cut the gap in half immediately.

• #1,216
This trend is in renewable energy interesting, and predictable:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56ec643d22482eaae2bb99c2/t/57264b6df85082b93e0ed663/1462127473844/?format=500w

• #1,217
mheslep said:
That 'gap' does not have to bridged. Liquid hydrocarbons are impressive energy carriers, sufficient in fact to allow an aircraft to fly nonstop around the globe. But we don't need to fly around the world nonstop, or anything close to it. It's overkill. We do need things like affordability in aviation, lower noise production, shorter runways, reduced emissions. Electric aviation might well make possible in some decades.

Also, an electric propulsion system is more efficient than cumbustion, so one might cut the gap in half immediately.

Considering the growing demand for international travel and human behaviour, I'm not sure people having to fly across the world would be willing to make 10-15 stops to refuel... I don't see where the "overkill" is... perhaps you could elaborate.

I'm not sure how "affordability, lower noise, shorter runways, reduced emissions" play a role in solving the energy crisis and finding a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are fantastic energy carriers and allow for a multitude of fantastic derivative products (plastics, fertilizers, etc.)... the question is not is there a bad side to fossil fuels, because the answer is most definitely yes (pollution, global warming, etc.)... the reality is that our society is dependant/addicted to fossil fuels... so the questions becomes what are we to do when we run out of fossil fuels.

Last edited:
  • #1,218
mheslep said:
This trend is in renewable energy interesting, and predictable:

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56ec643d22482eaae2bb99c2/t/57264b6df85082b93e0ed663/1462127473844/?format=500w

http://static1.squarespace.com/static/56ec643d22482eaae2bb99c2/t/5728d8a71bbee0a94c5ec3fa/1462294702830/?format=500w

BP statistical review... as in British Petroleum ?

If these numbers are correct... not a good sign IMO

• #1,219
AJacq said:
Considering the growing demand for international travel and human behaviour, I'm not sure people having to fly across the world would be willing to make 10-15 stops to refuel... I don't see where the "overkill" is... perhaps you could elaborate.

I'm not sure how "affordability, lower noise, shorter runways, reduced emissions" play a role in solving the energy crisis and finding a viable alternative to fossil fuels.

Fossil fuels are fantastic energy carriers and allow for a multitude of fantastic derivative products (plastics, fertilizers, etc.)... the question is not is there a bad side to fossil fuels, because the answer is most definitely yes (pollution, global warming, etc.)... the reality is that our society is dependant/addicted to fossil fuels... so the questions becomes what are we to do when we run out of fossil fuels.
Above I literally meant it is possible to circumnavigate the globe, nonstop, on a (big) tank of hydrocarbons. It's been done. Batteries won't allow jets to cross the Pacific any time soon, but one could fly, say, DC to Boston now with existing battery technology. In any case the first aircraft on the table would be hybrids, electric and jet combustion, per the NASA n Boeing studies above.

As for the energy crisis, as others have pointed out, with 3% of the energy use aviation is not going to run short of hydrocarbons in the foreseeable future. Hydrocarbons (or alcohols) can also be synthesized using other energy sources.

• #1,220
AJacq said:
BP statistical review... as in British Petroleum ?

If these numbers are correct... not a good sign IMO
The BP stat review is the authoritative source for basic energy consumption statistics.

The developing world is driving energy growth, and they inevitably choose the least expensive, unsubsidized source. Wood. Coal. Gas. Until and unless nuclear power becomes the world's primary power source, the trend is bound to continue, absent some new innovation like cheap and long term energy storage.

• #1,221
mheslep said:
The BP stat review is the authoritative source for basic energy consumption statistics.

The developing world is driving energy growth, and they inevitably choose the least expensive, unsubsidized source. Wood. Coal. Gas. Until and unless nuclear power becomes the world's primary power source, the trend is bound to continue, absent some new innovation like cheap and long term energy storage.

Ah ha!
Those must be global numbers.
Can someone please confirm, that the title of this thread is "YOU!: Fix the US Energy Crisis".
Just trying to keep us on topic. :angel:

• #1,222
OmCheeto said:
Ah ha!
Those must be global numbers.
Can someone please confirm, that the title of this thread is "YOU!: Fix the US Energy Crisis".
Just trying to keep us on topic. :angel:

... but is there truly such a thing as a geographical circumscribed crisis when dealing with energy ?... isn't a US problem a global problem and vice-versa ?

• #1,223
This thread started years ago when both US oil and gas production were in decline, had been in decline for decades, with imports on the rise. Prices hit $150 a bbl. Now, the US is the world's largest producer of both. There arguably is no longer any energy crisis in the US, due to both the new production technology from shale deposits and the slowly declining US oil consumption. Since the US was also the largest consumer, the world is arguably no longer in an energy crisis. This might change, but the size of the shale (source rock) reserves push any new energy crisis out some decades.

Emissions from energy consumption are another matter.

Last edited:
  • #1,224
AJacq said:
... but is there truly such a thing as a geographical circumscribed crisis when dealing with energy ?... isn't a US problem a global problem and vice-versa ?
Not to mention China and others.

• #1,225
Map of US power generation and resource production.

http://www.eia.gov/state/maps.cfm

I was surprised to see so many solar power plants in North Carolina!

Likes OmCheeto