College freshman (pre-med) Chem advice needed

In summary, the person is a pre-med student taking 18 credits including biology and chemistry. They are struggling with taking notes and feel that words are not important in math-based subjects like chemistry. Their plan is to spend a lot of time studying the textbook and using outside resources to master the material, while relying on class lectures for a general understanding. They also plan to ask for help when needed and study extensively before quizzes.
Edin_Dzeko
Alright. I'm a pre-med so my science classes are really important. Unfortunately for me, I'm taking 18 credits and Bio + Chem. I'm not really used to the college system and the whole taking notes thing. Especially for a math based science like Chem. I feel like words aren't that important. So I don't really take notes or know what to write. Plus he gives us handouts and base his lesson from the book (text).

My question is, how can I master the material?? For instance right now we're doing matter / atoms so my strategy was to spend as much time as needed on the chapters in the text and use google and wikipedia if I have to in order to know about matter and atoms inside out. That's the plan for the entire course. To know the material inside out by studying on my own and just kind of listening just to get an idea in class. 'cause it's not easy taking notes.

what do you guys think?? Is this approach good?? is it more than I can take?? will I burn out early?? we have a quiz next week and I want to spend a lot of hours this week-end 'til quiz day making sure I know the chapter we're doing really well.

Physics news on Phys.org
Read the chapter from the book and skim the homework before the lecture.

Ask questions, get help ASAP when you need it.

Study a lot. Use multiple resources if necessary.

"what do you guys think?"

I think you should calm down and try to learn the material. I would hope that "studying on your own and just kind of listening just to get an idea in class" will not cause you to burn out.

1. What are the essential courses that a pre-med college freshman should take in their first year?

As a pre-med college freshman, it is important to take foundational courses in chemistry, biology, physics, and math. These courses will provide a strong basis for future medical courses and the MCAT exam.

2. How should I approach studying for my chemistry courses as a pre-med student?

Chemistry can be a challenging subject, so it is important to attend all lectures and actively participate in class. Make sure to also review your notes regularly and practice solving problems. Utilizing online resources and seeking help from your professor or a tutor can also be beneficial.

3. Is it necessary to take advanced chemistry courses as a pre-med student?

While it is not required, taking advanced courses in chemistry, such as organic chemistry, can be advantageous for pre-med students. These courses will provide a deeper understanding of chemical reactions and structures, which are important concepts in biochemistry and pharmacology.

4. What extracurricular activities should I participate in as a pre-med student?

Medical schools look for well-rounded applicants, so it is important to participate in extracurricular activities that show your interests and strengths outside of academics. Some examples include volunteering at a hospital or clinic, conducting research, or joining a pre-med club.

5. How can I prepare for the MCAT while taking my pre-med chemistry courses?

It is never too early to start preparing for the MCAT. As you are taking chemistry courses, make sure to review and reinforce the concepts that will be tested on the exam. Utilize MCAT study materials and practice exams to familiarize yourself with the format and content of the exam.