What's the admitance rate at your local university for math/physics/engineering?

In summary: I think the admission rates are about 70% for the math and physics departments. I'm not too sure about the engineering department, as I'm not currently enrolled in that program.In summary, the admittance rates for math and physics departments at University of Ottawa and Carleton University are both 75%. The rate for engineers is reportedly 80%.
kramer733
I live in ottawa and apparently University of Ottawa and Carleton University's admittance rates are both 75% for specialization in Math. Is is like that for most universities? This percentage holds true to physics as well. Engineers are more in the 80s.

Physics news on Phys.org
err, I plan on attending UW next year (i have to wait until I'm considered a resident, or i would apply now :( ), it's basically *the* university for everyone in Seattle

pretty sure the rate is about 70%, it isn't world renown for its math department or anything, but UW as a whole is rated as the 16th best university in the world, and the math department is rated the 17th best in the world

(arwu rankings)

That seems pretty standard here in Canada. We are more known for are weeding out system then our high academic entrance averages.

You can get into engineering at uOttawa with a 70+ and Carleton U with a 75+.

In Czech Republic the school system is really bad. The best universties here are state universities. It means that they are free (but in several years we're going to have to pay about $1000 annually, which still isn't too much). However that means that the schools get money from the state accordingly to the number of students here. So what the best math. and phys. school do here, is that they admit anyone who wants to study there, but only about half of them survives and gets a bachelor degree.
So my answer is - the admitance rate at Faculty of Mathematics and Physics on Charles University and Faculty of Physical and Nuclear Engineering on Czech Technical University is 100%.

At McGill: Admission for CEGEP students is based on R-Score: For Math it is 26.0 (Quite low for that university). 26.0 is roughly 70-75%. Admission in engineering is around 28.0.For international students: -A average with SAT(I) score (math section) of 600. For the SAT II:Around 600 as well.

For out-of-province:Average needed is 85-91.5%.

All of the above only warrant a review, not an admission.

Tom83B said:
In Czech Republic the school system is really bad. The best universties here are state universities. It means that they are free (but in several years we're going to have to pay about $1000 annually, which still isn't too much). However that means that the schools get money from the state accordingly to the number of students here. So what the best math. and phys. school do here, is that they admit anyone who wants to study there, but only about half of them survives and gets a bachelor degree.
Do you think education you get there is bad, as well? Because I would disagree with that, although I don't know anything about Czech universities.

Ryker said:
Do you think education you get there is bad, as well? Because I would disagree with that, although I don't know anything about Czech universities.

No, there's no way I'm saying that the education is bad. At least mathematics and physics is pretty good here (natural scis 136 and 246 the best schools on topuniversities.com - of course it's no Oxford, but I still think it's pretty good). I'm talking about the current situations here - they just admit anyone in order to get money from the state and a lot of them drops out during the first two years. I can't really say if it's good or bad because I haven't heard any complaints and I'm not yet at University, however, my personal opinion is it's not the best thing for the school (other-than-money-wise). But it's probably going to change a lot in the next few years (new and very different government).

Yeah, I think the situation is similar in all ex-Yugoslavian and post-Soviet states, but the education you get is nowhere near bad.

I never meant to say it was bad. My english is just sometimes still a little clumsy. I didn't mean the actual quality of teaching.
(sorry kramer733, I probably went a little off topic...)

Nah, maybe I'm coming off wrong, as well, I don't think you were saying education in Czech Republic is bad :smile:

To get back to the topic, the Astrophysics admittance rate for the University of Alberta is 100% for those that are eligible, at least that's what I was told. I don't know how it is with Physics, Maths or Engineering, though, but I figure (uneducated guess) it'd be similar at least for Physics and maybe Maths.

kramer733 said:
I live in ottawa and apparently University of Ottawa and Carleton University's admittance rates are both 75% for specialization in Math. Is is like that for most universities? This percentage holds true to physics as well. Engineers are more in the 80s.

I'm a bit confused about what you're asking, maybe because US and Canadian universities opperate a bit differently. Are you asking about admittance to a university, or to a department?

At my alma matter, University of Washington, the acceptance rate to get in the university is somewhere around 70% (like G037H3 said). But once you're in, you then have to apply to the department.

Each department has its own criteria, and some are very tough to get into. I don't have info on individual departments, but I've heard that chemical engineering was especially hard to get into.

But the physics department? Well, you just fill out a form saying, "I want to be a physics major" - and boom, you're in :smile:. So getting in was easy...getting out? With a BS in your hand? Quite a different story, there was about a 50% drop rate every year!

Tom83B said:
So my answer is - the admitance rate at Faculty of Mathematics and Physics on Charles University and Faculty of Physical and Nuclear Engineering on Czech Technical University is 100%.
Here in Argentina it's a bit similar. 100% for my university (UNC, second biggest in Argentina). However the physics department doesn't get the money on the number of students, otherwise we wouldn't have almost anything. There are maybe 150 maths+physics+astronomy students (compared to more than 100,000 for my whole university) that enters every year and only around 15 get their degree.
I know that in France once you earn your "Baccalauréat" diploma, you can enter any university. However I'm not sure it is the case for example for the Sorbonne's university (or any other famous) where I can guess there is a limited number of students allowed.

Ryker said:
Nah, maybe I'm coming off wrong, as well, I don't think you were saying education in Czech Republic is bad :smile:

To get back to the topic, the Astrophysics admittance rate for the University of Alberta is 100% for those that are eligible, at least that's what I was told. I don't know how it is with Physics, Maths or Engineering, though, but I figure (uneducated guess) it'd be similar at least for Physics and maybe Maths.

yes eligible meaning the necessary high school level pre-reqs. and around a 70% for general programs and 80% minimal for honours (I think specialization hovers around 75 here?) If you have that bare minimum you are most likely guaranteed a spot although, like I previously mentioned, the universities in most of Canada seem to invoke the "weeding out" mechanism to a great extent. I am in Mathematical Physics Honours here and I think there are 4 other people in my year of the program- it's not that they wouldn't admit more, I am pretty sure that anyone with the appropriate requirements would be admitted. Astrophysics is similar ].

Where I go it is ~13%, but that is when people apply directly to the program since it is in Europe.

Average entrance average for Engineering in 2009 in the top Canadian Engineering schools

University of Waterloo- 89.2%
Univeristy of Toronto- 90.3%
Universty of Alberta- 87%

Other less reputable schools have averages in high 70ies or low 80ies

Link: http://oncampus.macleans.ca/education/2010/09/20/want-to-be-an-engineer-aim-for-80-plus-in-your-last-year-3/

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your program in eng in my year at Carleton:

Mech/SREE ~ 75% (Since SREE was new and not yet accredited at the time it accepted a couple of people with 68%)
AERO ~86%
Civil ~78%
ELEC ~ 80
ENG PHYS ~ I honestly can't remember

Carleton seems to work on the system that the morons can pay up for first year and if they don't hack it they will fail and drop out of eng. It's kinda funny but you see some of the people that did poorly in HS suddenly doing well because they're challenged academically for the first time. Also remember that Carleton has a good rep in engineering and has some world renowned professors. Just goes to show that you don't need the big Universities for a good program.

Admittance rate, or admission averages? I'm confused. Admittance rates are usually high because they expect people to turn down their offers (most people apply to 3 places). Admission averages are program-dependent, as shown above. You can actually find the admission averages in the statistics that the Ontario Government now requires all Ontario universities to post online, so there is no need to go by what you've heard (i.e. you can look it up yourself). Universities bury this stuff, but it's all there.

Also, math isn't exactly a huge attractant. Entrance averages for math are usually more reflective of the entrance averages for the university as a whole (which is usually a lot lower than for programs such as engineering). I haven't looked at stats for big universities but I know that they're in the 70s for a lot of smaller places. That's just how it is. There just aren't a lot of math majors. A lot of math majors show up expecting to major in something else, too, and they discover math while there, so who knows what the stats are really showing.

1. What is the average admitance rate at your local university for math/physics/engineering?

The average admitance rate at my local university for math/physics/engineering is approximately 30%. This may vary slightly depending on the specific program and year.

2. How competitive is the admitance process for math/physics/engineering at your local university?

The admitance process for math/physics/engineering at my local university is highly competitive. The university receives a large number of applications every year and only a small percentage of students are accepted.

3. Are there any specific requirements or qualifications for being admitted into the math/physics/engineering program at your local university?

Yes, there are specific requirements and qualifications for being admitted into the math/physics/engineering program at my local university. These may include a minimum GPA, specific courses or test scores, and letters of recommendation.

4. Does the admitance rate for math/physics/engineering at your local university vary between in-state and out-of-state students?

Yes, the admitance rate for math/physics/engineering at my local university may vary between in-state and out-of-state students. Generally, in-state students may have a slightly higher admitance rate due to state residency preferences.

5. Can I increase my chances of being admitted into the math/physics/engineering program at your local university?

Yes, there are ways to increase your chances of being admitted into the math/physics/engineering program at my local university. Some ways to improve your chances include maintaining a high GPA, taking challenging courses, participating in extracurricular activities related to the field, and submitting strong application materials.