Proving f^-1(Y ∩ Z) = f^-1(Y) ∩ f^-1(Z)

• Thread starter cateater2000
  • Start date
In summary, if f is a function from A into X, and Y and Z are subsets of X, then f^-1(YandZ) = f^-1(Y) and f^-1(Z).
cateater2000
Hi

let f be a function from set A into X, and Y,Z c X. Prove the following

f^-1(YandZ)=f^-1(Y)andf^-1(Z);

any tips would be great

Physics news on Phys.org
When you need to prove that two sets are equal, [tex]A = B[/tex], as in your problem the simplest trick you can use is to show that any [tex]a \in A[/tex] is also an element of B and viceversa.

I'm really confused with how to do it with function inverses, thanks for the help i'll try to figure it out

cateater2000 said:
Hi

let f be a function from set A into X, and Y,Z c X. Prove the following

f^-1(YandZ)=f^-1(Y)andf^-1(Z);

any tips would be great
I think you mean that f is a one-to one function from A to X. Is that what you mean by "into"? Also, I think you mean that Y and Z are both subsets of X. Stop me if I'm wrong.

Let x∈f^-1(Y ^ Z). We wish to show that x∈f^-1(Y)&f^-1(Z). Then once we do that, we wish to start by letting x be in f^-1(Y)&f^-1(Z) and show that that implies x∈f^-1(Y ^ Z).

This is what the last poster was writing about.

Now the thing to remember is that x∈f^-1(U) if and only if f(x)∈U.

I think he does not mean the function is one to one, but "and" seems to mean intersection. and f^(-1) just means preimage.

then this is a corolalary of the usual tautological fact that pullback or inverse image of sets is a boolean homomorphism, i.e. preserves both intersections and unions.

Hey thanks for youe help I got it now. It's actually really easy thankyou very much :)

1. What is the definition of f^-1(Y ∩ Z)?

The notation f^-1(Y ∩ Z) represents the inverse image of the intersection of two sets, Y and Z, under the function f. This means that it includes all elements from the domain of f that map to elements in the intersection of Y and Z.

2. How is f^-1(Y ∩ Z) different from f^-1(Y) ∩ f^-1(Z)?

The expression f^-1(Y) ∩ f^-1(Z) represents the intersection of two sets: the inverse image of Y under f and the inverse image of Z under f. This means it includes only elements from the domain of f that map to elements in both Y and Z. On the other hand, f^-1(Y ∩ Z) includes all elements from the domain of f that map to elements in the intersection of Y and Z, but may also include additional elements that map to elements in Y or Z individually.

3. How do you prove that f^-1(Y ∩ Z) = f^-1(Y) ∩ f^-1(Z)?

To prove that two sets are equal, we must show that they have the same elements. In this case, we need to show that every element in f^-1(Y ∩ Z) is also in f^-1(Y) ∩ f^-1(Z) and vice versa. This can be done using logical arguments and the definition of inverse images.

4. What is the importance of proving f^-1(Y ∩ Z) = f^-1(Y) ∩ f^-1(Z)?

Proving this equality is important in mathematical proofs and in applications of functions. It ensures that the inverse image of the intersection of two sets is equivalent to the intersection of their inverse images. This allows us to simplify and manipulate equations involving inverse images without changing their meaning.

5. Can f^-1(Y ∩ Z) = f^-1(Y) ∩ f^-1(Z) be true for all functions f?

No, this equality may not hold for all functions. It depends on the function and the sets involved. This can be seen by considering functions that are not one-to-one, as well as cases where the intersection of the two sets is empty. In these cases, the equality may not hold.