Folding "+" or Non-folding "X" Rear Fins?

• Thread starter sorter
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Folding
In summary, the conversation discusses the design progression of missiles with folding rear fins at 45 degrees relative to the intake. The latter version has non-folding "+" fins, which may provide more range but take up more space. One participant suggests that a cruciform configuration may be easier to engineer and control. The group also considers the potential differences in drag between the "+" and "x" configurations.
sorter
+ or X Rear fins??

[PLAIN]http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/2054/c6xxvp3.jpg

Notice the folding rear fins and fact that they are at 45 degrees X relative to the intake.
[PLAIN]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/363/c602xxxnm5.jpg

But clearly the rear fins r "+"

Now provided that former missile is oldy with respect to the latter one; I am confused at this
A design progression where the "x" fins didn't work out so they changed to non-folding "+" fins which probably give more range (less drag?, less weight?) but take up more space?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I don't really know much about missiles, but one thought comes to mind. If the latter version has moveable control surfaces on the tail-planes, which I can't determine from the photo, a cruciform rather than X configuration would be easier to engineer. Individual elevators and rudders take less co-ordination than multiple stabilators.

talking about Drag parameter only; wht you suggest; either + or X configuration will have more than the other??

There shouldn't be any notable difference in drag unless the fins are different shapes.

Guys,, but their must be some difference b/w choosing + over x

Either ease of control as stated before or because they may get the fins out of the wake of the wings and/or intake. Those are the only things that jump to mind.

1. What is the purpose of folding rear fins?

Folding rear fins are designed to increase the maneuverability and performance of a surfboard. By folding down, they reduce drag and allow the board to turn and carve more easily. They also make it easier to transport and store the board.

2. How do non-folding rear fins differ from folding ones?

Non-folding rear fins are fixed in place and cannot be folded down. They provide a more stable and consistent ride, but may be less maneuverable compared to folding fins. Non-folding fins also tend to be more durable and can handle larger waves.

3. Can I use folding rear fins on any type of surfboard?

It depends on the design of the surfboard. Some boards are specifically designed to accommodate folding fins, while others may not have the necessary slots or mechanisms for them. It's always best to check with the manufacturer or a surf shop to see if folding fins are compatible with your board.

4. How do I install folding rear fins?

The installation process may vary depending on the brand and type of folding fins, but generally, it involves inserting the fins into the designated slots on the surfboard and securing them with screws or clips. It's important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and make sure the fins are securely attached before entering the water.

5. Can I switch between folding and non-folding rear fins on the same board?

In most cases, it is not recommended to switch between folding and non-folding fins on the same board. This can cause damage to the fins or the board and may affect the overall performance of the board. It's best to choose one type of fin and stick with it for the duration of your surf session.