Germany's Economic Recovery Despite Lack of Stimulus

• News
  • Thread starter CAC1001
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economic
In summary, some interesting articles discuss Germany's economy and its recovery from stimulus, which differs from the US model due to its comprehensive social safety net. Germany's social welfare programs account for one-third of the country's GNP and are not provided through a centralized state-run system. However, the country's success in exporting tax-free products has made it an export powerhouse. Meanwhile, Obama's Stimulus Plan has reduced tax collections by $243 billion and also paid $171 billion in entitlements and focused on "shovel ready" spending of $161.9 billion, but the result has been a rise in unemployment. Democrats in the US are now pushing for class warfare by raising taxes on the wealthy and increasing social spending. Some argue that the US
Gokul43201 said:
I'm unable to parse this sentence correctly. Could you clarify or rewrite?

Haven't looked into your links yet - reading for the weekend. Thanks.
Sorry. I meant: given your own background research on display in various posts, I don't see how its possible that "most" all of the economic writers you've come across say the stimulus created million(s?) of jobs.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure exactly what I have displayed in previous posts, but I think I have made mention of (and hopefully cited) at least two, possibly three different papers that, if I recall correctly, estimated on the order of a million jobs saved. I don't believe I'm misremembering that number, though it is possible. And I do recall that you had an objection to a paper co-authored by Zandi. I think I may have subsequently read another report - I'd have to do a search to confirm. As promised earlier, I will get to posting sources this weekend. I think it would be good to have all the literature collected in one place, so people can read and discuss the merits or problems with each of them.

If you recall something specific from my posting history that contradicts what I'm saying here, please fell free to set the record straight.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not talking about economic writers expressing an opinion on job creation, or lack thereof. I don't actually recall many (any?) such economic columns that actually propose a number for jobs created/lost, except perhaps "zero". I am referring specifically to papers that perform a full calculation of the numbers.

Last edited: