Coefficient of the product of two power series

In summary, we are applying the principle of multiplying two power series and extracting the coefficient of the desired term, which is found by looking at the sum of terms where the exponents add up to the desired term. This process does not have a specific name, but it is a straightforward and intuitive method.
hholzer
If a_0 + (a_1)x + (a_2)x^2 + ...
and
b_0 + (b_1)x + (b_2)x^2 + ...

are two power series and the coefficient
of x^r from their product is a power series:
(a_0)(b_r) + (a_1)(b_(r-1)) + ...

What principle or theorem or definition(s)
are we applying when finding that this is
indeed the coefficient of the x^r term of
the product of two power series?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you will get that [tex](a_0+a_1x+...)(b_0+b_1x+...)=(\sum_i a_ix^i)(\sum_i b_jx^j)=\sum_{i,j}a_ix^ib_jx^j=\sum_{i,j}a_ib_j x^{i+j}[/tex] since every term is multiplied with every other term in the other factor. However you want to extract the coefficient in front of x^k, and that is by looking at the expression above obviously [itex]\sum_{i+j=k}a_ib_j=\sum_{i=0}^ka_ib_{k-i}=a_0b_k+a_1b_{k-1}+...+a_kb_0[/itex]

Last edited:
hi hholzer! :wink:
hholzer said:
What principle or theorem or definition(s)
are we applying when finding that this is
indeed the coefficient of the x^r term of
the product of two power series?

i don't think it has a name …

it's just obvious :smile:

1. What is the coefficient of the product of two power series?

The coefficient of the product of two power series is the numerical value that appears in front of the x term when the two power series are multiplied together. It represents the combined effect of the two series on the x term.

2. How is the coefficient of the product of two power series calculated?

The coefficient of the product of two power series can be calculated by multiplying the coefficients of the corresponding terms in each series and then adding them together. For example, if the two series are (a0 + a1x + a2x2 + ...) and (b0 + b1x + b2x2 + ...), the coefficient of the x2 term in the product would be a2b0 + a1b1 + a0b2.

3. Can the coefficient of the product of two power series be negative?

Yes, the coefficient of the product of two power series can be negative. This can happen when the coefficients of the corresponding terms in each series have opposite signs, resulting in a negative value when multiplied together.

4. What is the significance of the coefficient of the product of two power series?

The coefficient of the product of two power series is significant because it helps determine the overall behavior of the product series. It can provide information about the rate of change and convergence of the series and can be used in mathematical operations and applications.

5. Can the coefficient of the product of two power series be zero?

Yes, the coefficient of the product of two power series can be zero. This can happen when the corresponding terms in each series have a coefficient of zero, resulting in a zero value when multiplied together. In this case, the product series may have a simpler form and may be easier to work with mathematically.