Classifying a Diff Eq: Linear vs. Non-Linear Techniques

• Thread starter formulajoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, the given differential equation is either separable, linear, homogeneous, Bernoulli, or exact. Upon further analysis, it can be determined that it is not linear and thus cannot be solved by dividing by x. However, by introducing a new variable, the equation can be written as a separable equation.
formulajoe
x(dy/dx) = y*e^(x/y) - x

its either separable, linear, homogeneous, bernoulli or exact. only thing i can figure is that its linear.

how do i break it down to figure it out? the e^x/y is what's throwing me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not linear!
Divide by x.
Note that your right-hand side can now be written as some function g(y/x).

if i break it apart i get dy/dx = (y*e^(x/y) / x) - 1. i can see how it could be separable, but the e^x/y would still be there when i integrate. and that integral would be fairly impossible. i don't see what else it can be.

Introduce the variable:
[tex]v(x)=\frac{y(x)}{x}[/tex]
We have then:
[tex]v'(x)=\frac{y'(x)}{x}-\frac{v}{x}[/tex]
Or:
[tex]y'(x)=xv'(x)+v(x)[/tex]
Hence, inserting this into your diff. eq., you have:
[tex]xv'(x)=ve^{\frac{1}{v}}-(1+v)[/tex]
This is a separable equation (I wouldn't try solving it, though..)

What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to model and describe various physical phenomena in science and engineering.

What is the purpose of classifying a differential equation?

Classifying a differential equation helps in understanding its properties and behavior, and allows for the use of specific techniques and methods to solve it. It also helps in identifying the type of problem being modeled and choosing appropriate mathematical models.

What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs), partial differential equations (PDEs), and stochastic differential equations (SDEs). Within these categories, there are further classifications based on the order, linearity, and type of the equation.

What are the main methods used to classify differential equations?

Differential equations can be classified based on their order, linearity, and type. Order refers to the highest derivative present in the equation, linearity refers to whether the equation is linear or nonlinear, and type refers to the type of equation (ODE, PDE, or SDE).

Why is it important to classify a differential equation before solving it?

Classifying a differential equation helps in selecting the appropriate method to solve it, as different types of equations require different techniques. It also helps in understanding the behavior and properties of the equation, which can aid in finding a solution or making predictions about the system being modeled.