Proof Partial Derivative definition

In summary, you can use the definition of the derivative to prove that a function is equal to its derivative.
Jonnyquest
Hello, I'm trying to proof the partial derivative definition , how do i proof it ??

@f/ @x = lim h-->0 lim [f(a +h, b) - f(a, b)] / h

If possible , i'd like to seen all the calculations

Best regards

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is what you are trying to prove, then what is your definition of the partial derivative [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}[/tex]?

You don't prove a definition.

erm unless u mean the easy derivation where u start by [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}=lim_{x->a}\frac{f(x,b)-f(a,b)}{x-a}[/tex]

you can use the function [tex]g(h)=a+h[/tex]

and replace x=g(h) since [tex](lim_{x->a}x)=a=(lim_{h->0}g(h))[/tex].

Last edited:
Jonnyquest said:
Hello, I'm trying to proof the partial derivative definition

Ah, I missed that you are trying to prove the definition itself.

Well, that is very easy: by definition, it is true.

It was my Math teacher who challenged me to proof that the definition is right.

But i don't how to doi it.

I already proof the simple derivative definition.

Thanks

Jonnyquest said:
It was my Math teacher who challenged me to proof that the definition is right.

But i don't how to doi it.
It can't be done, at least not without more information about what's considered "right".

Note that you never prove a definition. A definition is just a choice of what English word to use for a specific mathematical concept.

Perhaps your teacher meant this: suppose f(x, y) is, putatively, a function of x and y but does not, in fact, depend on y. Show that the partial derivative with respect to x is exactly the same, in this case, as the ordinary derivative (and that the partial derivative with respect to y is 0).

Or it can mean: prove that it satisfies the Leibniz ("chain") rule.
Or that is satisfies a product rule.
Or both.
Or something else entirely.

It's just guessing here what your teacher meant, so maybe you should ask him to clarify :)

OK, I've just spoke with my teacher.
Now I've to proof that a function x^2 + y^2 is equal to 2x in order to x and by the definition ( limit ).

How do i do it ??

Thanks
Best Regards

Do you know the definition of the derivative? Do you know the definition of a limit of a function? Show us your attempt to use these definitions, and we'll try to help.

I assume that what you're asking is either

"prove that if f(x)=x2+y2, then f'(x)=2x"

or

"prove that if "f(x,y)=x2+y2, then f,1(x,y)=2x".

(The ",1" notation is what I use for the derivative of f with respect to the first variable). The solutions to these problems will look almost exactly the same.

Last edited:
By using the definition you gave at the first post instead of a we use x and instead of b we use y and we have:

[tex]\frac{\partial f(x,y)}{\partial x}=lim_{h->0}\frac{(x+h)^2+y^2-(x^2+y^2}{h}=lim_{h->0}\frac{(x+h)^2-x^2}{h}=lim_{h->0}\frac{(x+h+x)(x+h-x)}{h}=[/tex]
[tex]=lim_{h->0}\frac{(2x+h)h}{h}=lim_{h->0}(2x+h)=2x.[/tex]

Now fredric is going to be angry like his avatar image if he sees i gave u the full solution so get it fast :)...But i have to say maybe i did more harm to you than help by giving you the full solution.

Thanks Delta and Fredrik ...

I made a small mistake , when i did the indetermination 0/0. But when i saw the solution posted by Delta , i saw the error.

Thanks to you all.

1. What is the definition of a partial derivative?

The partial derivative of a multivariable function is the rate of change of the function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. How is the partial derivative symbolically represented?

The partial derivative symbol is ∂ (pronounced "del"), and is followed by the variable with respect to which the derivative is taken.

3. Can you provide an example of a partial derivative in a real-world context?

Yes, for example, the partial derivative of a company's profit with respect to the amount of money spent on advertising would tell us how much the profit changes for every additional dollar spent on advertising, while keeping all other factors constant.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a regular derivative?

A regular derivative is the rate of change of a single-variable function with respect to its independent variable, while a partial derivative is the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

5. How is the proof of the partial derivative definition derived?

The proof of the partial derivative definition is derived using the limit definition of a derivative, where we take the limit as the change in the variable approaches 0. This allows us to see how the function changes with respect to that specific variable, while keeping all other variables constant.