Dielectric Breakdown-max potential difference

In summary: What did you expect?In summary, a typical AAA battery has stored energy of about 3400 J. To build a parallel plate capacitor with the same energy storage using a plate separation of 2.21 mm and air filling the space between the plates, the area of each plate must be 38613.1 m^2. This can be found using the formula E=1/2CV^2, where V is the maximum potential difference without dielectric breakdown and C is the capacitance, which can be calculated using the dielectric breakdown field strength of air.
PennStateFan1

Homework Statement

A typical AAA battery has stored energy of about 3400 J. (Battery capacity is typically listed as 625 mA h, meaning that much charge can be delivered at approximately 1.5 V.) Suppose you want to build a parallel plate capacitor to store this amount of energy, using a plate separation of 2.21 mm and with air filling the space between the plates.

a) Assuming that the potential difference across the capacitor is 1.5 V, what must the area of each plate be? I have the answer to this one 7.547E11 m^2

b) Assuming that the potential difference across the capacitor is the maximum that can be applied without dielectric breakdown occurring, what must the area of each plate be?

Homework Equations

For part A, I got the answer using the formula E=1/2CV^2

Part B I'm using Vmax=Emax*d
and E=1/2CV^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried this two difference ways, as I'm kind of confused as to what its asking.

First attempt I'm using the value for Emax of 3E6 V/m for air and than multiplying that by .00221 m and then plugging it into the equation I used for part A

The other way is using Vmax is 1.5 Volts and solving for Emax and using that E as the E in the equation from part A.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Your "first attempt" looks like the better way to proceed; It finds Vmax for the given plate separation from the dielectric breakdown field strength.

Using my first attempt

Vmax=6630 V

Then 3400=.5(C)(6630)^2
C=epsilon0*A/d=(8.854E-12)A/(.00221)=.000155
A=38613.1 m^2

Can you guys figure out what I'm doing wrong?

I dunno. 3.86 x 104 m2 looks good to me.

!
Dielectric breakdown is a phenomenon that occurs in insulating materials, such as air, when the electric field strength becomes too high and causes the material to lose its insulating properties. In the case of a parallel plate capacitor, this can happen when the potential difference between the plates reaches a certain maximum value, known as the dielectric breakdown voltage.

In part A, you correctly used the formula E=1/2CV^2 to find the required area of each plate, assuming a potential difference of 1.5 V. However, in part B, you need to consider the maximum potential difference that can be applied without causing dielectric breakdown. This means that the potential difference, Vmax, should be equal to the dielectric breakdown voltage, rather than 1.5 V. So your equation should be Vmax=E*d, where E is the maximum electric field strength for air (3E6 V/m) and d is the plate separation distance (2.21 mm). Solving for Vmax, we get a value of 6.63 V.

Now, using this value for Vmax, we can plug it into the equation E=1/2CV^2 and solve for C, the capacitance. Once we have the capacitance, we can then use it to find the required area of each plate using the formula C=εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of air (8.85E-12 F/m) and d is the plate separation distance. This will give us the area of each plate required to store the given energy of 3400 J with a maximum potential difference of 6.63 V.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and guide you towards the correct solution. Keep up the good work in your studies!

1. What is dielectric breakdown and how does it occur?

Dielectric breakdown is the sudden failure of an insulating material due to the application of a high voltage. This occurs when the electric field within the material becomes too strong, causing the material to lose its insulating properties and allowing electricity to flow through. This can be caused by various factors such as high temperatures, mechanical stress, or exposure to high voltages for a prolonged period of time.

2. What is the maximum potential difference that can cause dielectric breakdown?

The maximum potential difference, also known as the breakdown voltage, varies depending on the type and thickness of the material. It can range from a few hundred volts to several thousand volts. For example, air has a breakdown voltage of around 3 million volts per meter, while some types of ceramic materials can withstand much higher voltages.

3. How is dielectric strength related to dielectric breakdown?

Dielectric strength refers to the maximum electric field that a material can withstand without experiencing dielectric breakdown. It is a measure of the material's ability to resist electrical breakdown. The higher the dielectric strength, the more voltage the material can withstand before breaking down.

4. What are the potential hazards of dielectric breakdown?

Dielectric breakdown can be hazardous in various situations. For example, in electronic devices, it can lead to malfunctions or damage. In high voltage systems, it can cause electrical shocks, fires, and other dangerous situations. It is important to properly design and test materials to ensure they can withstand the expected voltage to prevent potential hazards.

5. How can dielectric breakdown be prevented or mitigated?

Dielectric breakdown can be prevented by using materials with a high dielectric strength and proper design and insulation techniques. In high voltage systems, additional precautions such as using insulating barriers and regular maintenance can help mitigate the effects of dielectric breakdown. It is also important to follow safety protocols and regulations to minimize the risk of hazards.