How to eliminate arcing in a switch?

• Thread starter Topher925
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the conversation is about finding a way to avoid arcing when connecting a 36V battery to electronics with capacitors on the power input. One solution suggested is using a large value inductor connected in series to oppose the input current until steady state is reached. Another suggestion is using a SPDT switch with an appropriate resistor to give a 100ms time constant for the inrush charge-up of the capacitors. It is also mentioned that using a power MOSFET as the switch can be a reliable option with a low on resistance and off leakage.
Topher925
I'm working on a project where I'm connecting a big 36V battery to some electronics which contain capacitors on the power input. Of course when I connect the two I get some major arcing which likes to weld and stick connectors together. Does anyone know of a simple or easy way around this? The only thing I can think of is pre-charging by first powering up the electronics from the battery using a big resistor (~100Ohm) to prevent arcing and then connecting the battery (without resistor). Is there an easier way that doesn't involve me using two connectors?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like the arcing is caused by an inrush of current. A suitable large value inductor connected in series will initially oppose the input current until steady state is reached.

waht said:
Sounds like the arcing is caused by an inrush of current. A suitable large value inductor connected in series will initially oppose the input current until steady state is reached.

So that shifts the arc to when the switch to the battery is opened... :wink:

Maybe use a SPDT (make before break) switch for the connection, and choose an appropriate resistor to give you about a 100ms time constant for the inrush charge-up of the caps. Just pause briefly in the middle switch position when turning the device on...?

Maybe you can simply put the switch after the capacitors?

General tip: if the current is not too big, for reliability you can also use a power MOSFET as your actual switch (make resistive voltage divider for gate voltage, use switch on that, switches are considerably more reliable at low currents).
Nowadays a power MOSFET costs under 1 euro. I got 10 of these for something around 5 euro:
http://www.irf.com/product-info/datasheets/data/irfz44n.pdf
the on resistance is 0.017 ohm, which can easily beat your switch, the off leakage is under 0.025 mA so that's not a concern either. You can make circuitry to ensure smooth turn on, with a capacitor that has to charge through resistor to bring gate voltage up on turn on, but is discharged immediately at turn off. That'd dissipate half the capacitor's energy at the mosfet during charging, i don't know how big your capacitors are but that may well be acceptable. I can draw you the circuit if you need.

Last edited:
berkeman said:
So that shifts the arc to when the switch to the battery is opened... :wink:

It sure does without adding a diode across the coil.

1. How does arcing occur in a switch?

Arcing in a switch occurs when there is a break or gap in the electrical circuit, causing a spark to jump across the gap and create an electrical discharge. This can happen due to a variety of factors, such as a loose connection, buildup of dirt or debris, or a faulty switch.

2. What are the dangers of arcing in a switch?

Arcing in a switch can be dangerous as it can create high temperatures, electrical fires, and even explosions. It can also damage the switch and other components of the electrical system, leading to malfunctions and failures.

3. How can I prevent arcing in a switch?

To prevent arcing in a switch, it is important to regularly maintain and inspect the switch for any loose connections or buildup of dirt or debris. Using high-quality switches and ensuring proper installation can also help prevent arcing. Additionally, using protective devices such as fuses or circuit breakers can help prevent excessive arcing.

4. Can arcing be eliminated completely in a switch?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate arcing in a switch, it can be significantly reduced by following proper maintenance and installation practices. Using protective devices and high-quality switches can also help minimize the occurrence of arcing.

5. What should I do if I notice arcing in a switch?

If you notice arcing in a switch, it is important to immediately turn off the switch and disconnect the power source. Then, inspect the switch for any loose connections or buildup of dirt or debris. If the problem persists, it is best to consult a professional electrician for proper troubleshooting and repairs.