Special Functions: Valid Gauss Formula Parameters

In summary, the Gauss Formula is valid for Re(c)>Re(b)>0 and |z|<1. The series (Gauss Formula) on the other hand converges for Re(c-b-a)>0.
Ted123

Homework Statement

It is known that Euler's integral representation
[PLAIN]http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/5578/euler.png
is valid for Re(c)>Re(b)>0 and |z|<1.

The series (Gauss Formula)
[PLAIN]http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/2365/gaussz.png
on the other hand converges for Re(c-b-a)>0.

For what values of the parameters a, b and c is the Gauss Formula valid? (Think carefully)

The Attempt at a Solution

Anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
c must be bigger than a+b ? sorry i mean x must equal 1 for the integral to become the second gamma expression on the nomenator

Last edited:
Where's an x? Do you mean z? I'm not asked to derive the formula here - just to explain what values of a,b,c it is valid for. I was thinking c cannot be a non-negative integer

im sorry ,z must equal 1. the integral is a beta function and is equal to the gamma (the second in the nomenator) of the second function when z = 1

ardie said:
im sorry ,z must equal 1. the integral is a beta function and is equal to the gamma (the second in the nomenator) of the second function when z = 1

I'm not asked to derive the formula here - just to explain what values of a,b,c it is valid for. I was thinking c cannot be a non-negative integer

yes c has to be positive and bigger than a+b, and z must equal 1

but the thing is u already mention this, when u wrote Re(c-b-a)>0.
so i don't see what the question is

ardie said:
but the thing is u already mention this, when u wrote Re(c-b-a)>0.
so i don't see what the question is

The full question is this: (I've done part (a) so far which is deriving it...)
[PLAIN]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/7766/fullqs.png

Last edited by a moderator:
well b can start from 1 and a from 1 so c must start from 2. I am assuming that the gamma function cannot take negative arguements. last ones just numbercrunching i suppose

Do a,b and c have to be integers? And why does a+b have to be less than c?

How do I compute the sum of the power series with b=-1 for part (c)?

Last edited:
the gamma functions are evaluated using the gauss integral method such that:
gamme (n) = factorial (n-1)
you want the factorial to have integer values as input otherwise it becomes really sad and starts to cry
just plug in the numbers to get those values.
factorial (-1) is a mathematical nonsense, hence why c-b-a must be positive for the function to be welldefined

ardie said:
the gamma functions are evaluated using the gauss integral method such that:
gamme (n) = factorial (n-1)
you want the factorial to have integer values as input otherwise it becomes really sad and starts to cry
just plug in the numbers to get those values.
factorial (-1) is a mathematical nonsense, hence why c-b-a must be positive for the function to be welldefined

Part (c) says verify it for b=-1 but you've said that b must start from 1 for it to be valid in part (b)? a,b and c can be complex numbers...

Last edited:
yes you can still have b=-1 with a=0 and c=0 and you will still not run into any trouble.
you can't have for example c=10 with b = 10 and a = 5
you also can't have c=-10 with b = 10 and a = 5

ardie said:
yes you can still have b=-1 with a=0 and c=0 and you will still not run into any trouble.
you can't have for example c=10 with b = 10 and a = 5
you also can't have c=-10 with b = 10 and a = 5

But I thought we established for part (b) that the formula was only valid for a and b starting from 1 and c>2? This shows it can be valid for other values too...

yes i think i made a mistake there again, but trying to minimise c, you can still have c=0 and then move upwards fitting all possible a and b values in

ardie said:
yes i think i made a mistake there again, but trying to minimise c, you can still have c=0 and then move upwards fitting all possible a and b values in

So it looks like as long as [tex]c>a+b[/tex] it will be valid?

yes... and that c is a positive integer

ardie said:
yes... and that c is a positive integer

So for part (c), do I have to show that

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{(a)_n(-1)_n}{(c)_n n!} = \frac{\Gamma(c)\Gamma(c-a+1)}{\Gamma(c-a)\Gamma(c+1)}\;?[/tex]

If so, how?

The definition of the shifted factorial (Pochhammer symbol) is:
[tex](a)_n = \frac{\Gamma(a+n)}{\Gamma(a)}[/tex]

Last edited:
i believe if u do the summation in the power series you will find by induction that both represent the same rational number

ardie said:
i believe if u do the summation in the power series you will find by induction that both represent the same rational number

Still struggling with evaluating either side...

calculate the LHS and confirm it is equal to the RHS?

ardie said:
calculate the LHS and confirm it is equal to the RHS?

How do I calculate the LHS though?

ok I am not entirely sure about the notation used in your book, but in my reference books, the a,b,c's on that LHS with the subscripts are pretty hefty recurance relations which I cannot remember off by heart. So you basically just write the numbers in and keep putting new n's. since you have a n! in ur denomenator, youll find that the series converges pretty quickly, maybe after 4-5 terms, then you just calculate and they should be the same

1. What are special functions?

Special functions are mathematical functions that are defined and used in specific areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. These functions are often used to solve complex problems that cannot be solved using basic arithmetic operations.

2. What is the Gauss formula?

The Gauss formula is a mathematical formula developed by German mathematician Carl Friedrich Gauss. It is used to calculate the area under a curve on a graph by dividing the area into smaller trapezoids and then summing their areas.

3. What are valid parameters for the Gauss formula?

The valid parameters for the Gauss formula are the limits of integration, which represent the lower and upper bounds of the area under the curve. These limits must be real numbers and the upper limit must be greater than the lower limit.

4. How do I determine the limits of integration for a specific problem?

The limits of integration can be determined by examining the graph of the function and identifying the points where the curve intersects the x-axis. These points will be the lower and upper limits of integration.

5. Can the Gauss formula be applied to any function?

No, the Gauss formula can only be applied to functions that are continuous and have a finite number of discontinuities. It is also most commonly used for functions that are smooth and have a single peak or valley.