Magnetic Materials: What's Most Attractive?

In summary, the best way to generically describe a material that will attract a magnet is a highly permeable material. This includes ferromagnetic materials, which retain a magnetic effect after removal of an applied magnetic field, and paramagnetic and diamagnetic materials, which react to an external magnetic field. However, to keep it as broad as possible, the term "highly magnetically permeable material" can be used. Other terms such as "magnetically susceptible material" or "magnetizable material" may also be used, but may not encompass all types of materials that can attract a magnet.
My sister has a question:

what's the best way to generically describe a material that will attract a magnet?
I think ferromagnetic material would be maybe my best guess but i think that only includes material with iron and i wonder if that's not generic enough

thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org

My sister has given be perhaps a better way to ask:

i need a generic word for a material that a magnet can be secured to

Could one use the term "permeability" or "electromagnetic material"?

There are two types of magnetic materials.

Those that react to an external magnetic field only when the field is present and those that retain a magnetic effect after removal of the field.

Further the reaction may be classed as paramagnetic which reacts to reinforce the applied field or diamagnetic which reacts to oppose it.

Ferromagnetic materials can be regarded as very strong paramagnets that retain a magnetic effect after removal of an applied magnetic field. They can generate a magnetic field in their own right without being energised and are called permanent magnets.

hope this helps, but remember this is very broad brush.

Thanks Studiot! It does help, but I she is looking for an all encompassing term.

So far we have:

"High Permeability Material"
"Electromagnetic Material"
"Magnetic Material"

Which one of those would be use in industry?

To keep it as generic as possible, I guess you might say: highly permeable material.

Note that slightly permeable materials (paramagnetic materials like aluminium) don't really do the job.

But to be honest, I don't know which term would be used in industry.

Edit: electromagnetic materials and magnetic materials would be different beasts.
In particular a magnetic material would already be magnetic itself, which would be a subset of highly permeable materials.

Last edited:

I like Serena said:
To keep it as generic as possible, I guess you might say: highly permeable material.

Note that slightly permeable materials (paramagnetic materials like aluminium) don't really do the job.

But to be honest, I don't know which term would be used in industry.

I guess my next thought for that would be that the term permeable is used is so many different sciences that it becomes ambiguous without context right?

Greg Bernhardt said:
I guess my next thought for that would be that the term permeable is used is so many different sciences that it becomes ambiguous without context right?

Good point, so I'd make it highly magnetically permeable material. :)

And here's another one: magnetically susceptible material.

I think most folks would say magnetic material if they meant material that 'would attract a magnet'

It is often recommended to check used cars with a magnet to test for hidden body filler.
Also many types of stainless steel do not attract magnets so they (magnets) are often used in workshops to distinguish steel types.

In both cases the users say the material is magnetic or non magnetic.

Magnetizable material?

Since magnetic material implies it's already magnetized.

I like Serena said:
Magnetizable material?

Since magnetic material implies it's already magnetized.

true, since an iron plate would attract a magnet, but it is not polarized correct?

Greg Bernhardt said:
true, since an iron plate would attract a magnet, but it is not polarized correct?

Exactly!

Sorry to disagree but you did want an industrial answer.

You can buy magnetizable tools (screwdrivers etc) and which can be magnetised along wiht magnetizing units - that is they can become permanent magnets.
These are well known in industry.

Attaching one of these magnetising units to the side of say a filing cabinet or fridge (or a fridge magnet) will not magnetize the cabinet, but you will cetainly feel the force of attraction.

I think ferromagnetic material might cover it well enough. It is not necessary for the material to contain iron.

Interesting! :smile:
What is a fridge door made of?

As it is, I can't find a distinction between materials with high permeability, ferromagnetic/ferrimagnetic materials, or materials that become magnetized when exposed to a magnetic field.
Is there a distinction?

Btw, apparently a fridge door is usually made of iron.
And a fridge magnet is usually not a simple bar magnet, but it has alternating north and south poles.
Apparently this gives the magnet twice the magnetism on one side, and hardly any magnetism on the other side.

a "magnet" can come in two forms.

first is a ferromagnetic material that has been at least partially polarized by exposure to an external magnetic field that is locked in by thermal treatment about its curie temperature. as a result of this locked-in polarization, the material generates an external magnetic field.

second is an electro-magnet, in which a solenoid will generate an aligned magnetic field due to electronic current.

a "magnet" will "stick" only to a ferromagnetic material. a directionally-dependent force is generated as a result of the interactions of the two magnetic fields.

a paramagnetic material (or a diamagnetic material) does not generate an external magnetic field, though it will affect their propagation due to the formation of induced dipoles.

1. What are magnetic materials?

Magnetic materials are materials that can be magnetized, meaning they can create a magnetic field. They contain atoms with unpaired electrons, which can align in the same direction to produce a magnetic field.

2. What makes a material magnetic?

A material becomes magnetic when its atoms have unpaired electrons that can align in the same direction, creating a magnetic field. This alignment can be permanent or temporary, depending on the type of magnetic material.

3. What are the different types of magnetic materials?

There are three main types of magnetic materials: ferromagnetic, paramagnetic, and diamagnetic. Ferromagnetic materials, such as iron and nickel, are strongly attracted to magnets and can become permanently magnetized. Paramagnetic materials, like aluminum and platinum, are weakly attracted to magnets and only exhibit magnetic properties when in the presence of a strong magnetic field. Diamagnetic materials, such as copper and gold, are not attracted to magnets and actually create an opposing magnetic field when in the presence of a magnetic field.

4. How are magnetic materials used in everyday life?

Magnetic materials have a wide range of uses in everyday life. They are used in household appliances, such as refrigerators and speakers, to create magnetic fields. They are also used in data storage devices, such as hard drives and credit cards. Magnetic materials also play a crucial role in medical imaging, as they are used in MRI machines to produce detailed images of the body.

5. Can magnetic materials be harmful to humans?

In general, magnetic materials are not harmful to humans. However, strong magnetic fields can have an effect on electronic devices and pacemakers, so it is important to follow safety precautions when working with or near strong magnets. Additionally, some individuals may experience mild discomfort or dizziness when exposed to strong magnetic fields, but this is rare and temporary.