How to approach a problem involving pressure and volume?

In summary, the problem is trying to solve for the equilibrium pressure of a system with two containers. The student is using the ideal gas law to solve for the pressure.
TyErd

Homework Statement

I have attached the question. I have no clue with this one. Is there a specific equation that I have to use? How do I approach a problem like this??

Homework Equations

density = mass/volume
specific volume = volume/mass = 1/density
mass flow rate = density x volume flow rate
volume flow rate = cross sectional area x velocity
density of water = 1000kg/m^3
density of air = 1.22521kg/m^3 i think?
total volume = mass x specific volume

The Attempt at a Solution

-

Attachments

• dddddddddddd.png
    dddddddddddd.png
    31.6 KB · Views: 463
Physics news on Phys.org
Write down the ideal gas equation PV=nRT for each container's initially while assuming unknowns.

Then we know that total no. of moles in system(container 1 + container 2) is constant.
Then write final gas equation PV=(n1+n2)RT.

Sufficient data is given to you.Molar mass of air may be required

okay so the ideal gas law eqs: 500 x 10^3 (1) = n x 287 x (25 +273.15)------container 1.
200 x 10^3 (V) = n x 287 x (35 +273.15)------------container 2.

how do i find Volume knowing that it weighs 5kg. Am i suppose to add the two above equations?? then make it equal to P (V1+V2)=(n1+n2) x 287 x (20 + 273.15) ??

You know the volume of second tank using ideal gas equation for container-2.You have pressure temperature and number of moles(you need molar mass of air).

Using this you get V1+v2 in final equation.There you have total no. of moles, total volume and equilibrium temperature.Get equilibrium Pressure

I'm not sure i understand what you mean. Isn't the molar mass used to find R in the ideal gas law equation? I used R as 287 is that right? i don't get how to find n

molar mass of air is 28.97 and R is 8.31J/mol*K.
You are using wrong values of R.

In the ideal gas equation for first container you have temperature, pressure, and volume calculate no. of moles for container 1.

For second container you have mass of air 5kg=5000g.
no. of moles= 5000/28.97=172.59

Here is how to solve the problem:

Use finite states to have a picture of the problem easily.

State 1:
V_a1 = 1 m^3
T_a1 = 25 deg C + 273 = 323 K
P_a1 = 500 kPa
m_b1 = 5 kg
T_b1 = 35 deg C + 273 = 308 K
P_b1 = 200 kPa

State 2:
T_a2 = T_b2 = 20 deg C + 273 = 293 K (thermal equilibrium w/ surroundings)
V_b2 = ?
P_b2 = ?

where a is the first tank, and b is the second tank.

Solution:
1. Obtain unknowns of each tank for easy computations at the initial state or State 1.

1.1 Obtain the mass of the first tank using PV=mRT
m_a1=P_a1*V_a1 / (R*T_a1), where R is 286.9 J/(kgK)

1.2 Obtain the volume of the second tank
V_b1= m_b1 * R * T_b1 / P_b1

2. Analyze the transition from State 1 to State 2, taking note of the parameters in PV=mRT equation.

2.1 When the valve is opened, the volume of the 2 tanks will not obviously change. So the volume of the second tank V_b2 is equal to V_b1.

2.2 Since the valve is already opened, the contents of the 2 tanks are combined, that is: m_a1 + m_b1 = m_a2 = m_b2. Now, we can solve for the final pressure using PV = mRT:
P_b2 = m_b2 * R * T_b2 / V_b2

How come R is 286.9?It's 8.31 as i said earlier.
You will need molar mass of air.

8.31 I am pretty sure is the universal gas constant. to find the gas constant of air it is universal gas constant divided by molar mass. R of air = universal gas constant (8.31) / molar mass of air(28.956) = 0.2869kPa = 286.9Pa

anyway my working out now is:
container 1: 500 x 10^3 (1) = m x 287 x (25 + 273.15) thus m = 5.84kg.
container 2: 200 x 10^3 (V) = 5 x 287 x (35 + 273.15) thus V = 2.21 m^3

so mass total is 5.84 + 5 = 10.84 kg

therefore P ( 2.21) = 10.84 x 287 x (20 + 273.15), which means P = 412616 Pa = 412.6kPa. Is that correct?

Then it's okay.However using universal gas constant seems more fundamental.

is my working out correct as well?

TyErd said:
is my working out correct as well?

seems OK.Check for any calculation errors and if your answer matches with correct answer(if known) then fine.

to find the final equilibrium pressure, what volume do i have to use? the volume of the first/second or both added together?

Both added together.

1. What is the relationship between pressure and volume?

The relationship between pressure and volume is described by Boyle's Law, which states that at a constant temperature, the pressure of a gas is inversely proportional to its volume. This means that as volume decreases, pressure increases and vice versa.

2. How do I calculate pressure and volume in a problem?

To calculate pressure, you can use the formula P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is area. To calculate volume, you can use the formula V = lwh, where V is volume, l is length, w is width, and h is height. In a problem involving pressure and volume, you may need to use these formulas in combination with other information provided.

3. What are the units of pressure and volume?

The most common units of pressure are pascals (Pa) and atmospheres (atm), while the most common units of volume are cubic meters (m³) and liters (L). It is important to make sure that all units are consistent when solving a problem involving pressure and volume.

4. How does temperature affect pressure and volume?

Temperature has a direct effect on the volume of a gas, according to Charles' Law. This law states that at a constant pressure, the volume of a gas is directly proportional to its temperature. This means that as temperature increases, volume also increases and vice versa.

5. What are some common real-life examples of problems involving pressure and volume?

Problems involving pressure and volume can be found in many real-life situations, such as calculating tire pressure in a car, determining the volume of a gas in a scuba tank, and understanding the effects of altitude on air pressure in an airplane. They are also important in fields such as chemistry, where pressure and volume play a role in gas laws and reactions.