Aspiring to build working scale models

In summary: As for what you should expect, you will need to put in a lot of effort and dedication if you want to be successful.
gebrial
I will be entering university in an aerospace engineering program next year but I want to get a head start on it right now. What I mean by that is start building basic rockets and planes, or even more basic than that, I don't know. Why I am here is to ask for guidance on where to start. I recently saw a video of an 18 y/o kid flying a very large scale model of a jet fighter. Now obviously I can't start with that, but something in that general direction is what I'm looking for. I've tried using google to find other forums more suited to my request, but there were none more helpful than this.

Where should I start? What should I expect? I really just want to be able to build model airplanes that can fly, hopefully from scratch but I am willing to take the time to learn if I can find the right resources which I haven't been able to do thus far.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can tell you this: That 18y/o kid did not build that plane by himself. He had money, resources, and almost certainly the mentoring of an experienced engineer. What you can do is a matter of resources and dedication. If you want to build model planes or rockets, there are countless forums, websites, clubs, etc that are dedicated to that. It's a good idea, but make sure that you are learning the principles of flight, power, control, etc while you are doing this, otherwise it is just a hobby. Not that that is a bad thing mind you, but it won't really help you with your degree.

Yes, of course he did. What I am asking for is the forums, websites and clubs that you speak of b/c I could not find anything very reliable on my own. I am sure that someone here would know of a good one through experience?

Google + "rc airplane forums"

RC airplanes are a great hobby that you can really learn a lot from. The only problem is that it is pretty expensive. You will probably start with a foam trainer airplane because they are pretty hard to break. Not hard to crash just hard to break :-)

There are plenty of forums if you search and they will be able to recommend good products to start with.

First of all, congratulations on your interest in aerospace engineering and your desire to get a head start on it before university! Building scale models is a great way to gain hands-on experience and practical skills that will be valuable in your future studies and career.

To start, I would recommend doing some research on the basics of aerodynamics and flight principles. This will help you understand the key concepts behind building flying models and give you a foundation to work from. Additionally, look for resources or books specifically on building model airplanes and rockets, as these will provide more specialized guidance.

Next, consider starting with simpler models and gradually working your way up to more complex ones. This will allow you to develop your skills and understanding as you go. You can also look for model kits or pre-made designs to start with, and then eventually move on to designing and building your own models from scratch.

In terms of materials, foam and balsa wood are often used for building model airplanes, while cardboard or plastic can be used for model rockets. You may also need tools such as a hobby knife, sandpaper, and glue.

As for what to expect, building model airplanes and rockets can be a challenging but rewarding process. You may encounter difficulties or setbacks, but don't get discouraged - this is all part of the learning experience. Be patient and persistent, and don't be afraid to ask for help or guidance from more experienced model builders.

Finally, I would recommend joining a local model airplane or rocket club, or even an online community, where you can connect with other enthusiasts and get advice and tips from them. These communities can also provide opportunities to participate in competitions or events, further fueling your passion for building scale models.

Good luck on your journey and have fun building!

1. What are the benefits of building working scale models?

Building working scale models allows for hands-on learning and experimentation, which can improve problem-solving skills and spatial awareness. It also helps to visualize and understand complex concepts in a tangible way.

2. How do you choose the appropriate scale for a model?

The scale of a model should be chosen based on the purpose and desired level of detail. For example, larger scales are better for showcasing intricate details, while smaller scales are more practical for transportation and storage.

3. What materials are commonly used to build working scale models?

The most common materials used for building working scale models include wood, plastic, metal, and foam. These materials are lightweight, easy to work with, and readily available in various sizes and shapes.

4. What tools and equipment are necessary for building working scale models?

The specific tools and equipment needed will depend on the type and scale of the model. However, some common tools include cutting tools (such as knives and scissors), measuring tools (such as rulers and calipers), and adhesives (such as glue and tape).

5. What are some tips for building accurate and realistic scale models?

To build accurate and realistic scale models, it is important to gather reference materials, such as blueprints, photographs, and measurements. It is also helpful to plan and sketch out the model beforehand, use high-quality materials, and pay attention to details such as color and texture.