Question in thermodynamics-melting of ice.

• Thread starter hale2bopp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, to find the net amount of water in the container, you must first find the amount of ice that has melted and the amount of ice that has not melted. This can be done by equating the heat lost by the water to the heat gained by the ice and using the equations for heat and latent heat. Once you have determined the amount of ice that has melted, you can subtract it from the initial amount of ice to find the net amount of water in the container.
hale2bopp

Homework Statement

Ice of mass 2 kg at -20 degrees C and 5 kg water at 20 degrees C are mixed. Find the net amount of water in the container. (Specific heat of water=1cal/g degrees C, specific heat of Ice = 0.5 cal/g degrees C, latent heat of fusion=80cal/g degrees C)

Homework Equations

Heat lost by water=heat gained by ice
Heat=m.C.(t2-t1)
Where m is mass of substance, C is specific heat of substance, t1 is initial temperature, t2 is final temperature.
Heat=m.L
Where, m is mass of substance, and L is latent heat of substance (latent heat of fusion).

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, the first thing I did is to equate the heat lost by water to the heat gained by the ice. Putting all the variables in the equation,

(2kg)(0.5 cal/g degreesC)(T- (-20 degrees C))=(5kg)(1cal/g degrees C)(T-20 degrees C)
Where, I have assumed T to be the final temperature.

On solving the equation, I'm getting T=30 degrees C which is obviously not possible since, it is higher than the temperature of water.

This probably means that the final temperature is higher than zero.
So I add the latent heat equation.
(2kg)(0.5 cal/g degrees C)(0-(-20)) + (2kg)(80cal/g degrees C)+(2kg)(0.5 cal/g degrees C)(T-0)=(5kg)(1cal/g degrees C)(T-20)
T=70 degrees C (Again, not possible)

I'm assuming this means that all the ice has not melted. But, I have no idea as to how to proceed from this point. Since it is asking the amount of water in the container, some amount of ice has melted and some amount has not melted. How do I ascertain how much ice has melted?
Help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What gets heated= what gets cooled
Ice will get heated from -20 C to ice at 0 C, the ice at 0 C will get heated, changing to water at 0 C = Water getting cooled from 20 C to water at 0 C

I would find out when ice gets heated from -20 to 0 how much the water gets cooled.
Then I would find out what mass of ice is needed to cool the water from the new temperature to 0 C

Subtract from initial amount of ice to get amount of ice left

What gets heated= what gets cooled
Ice will get heated from -20 C to ice at 0 C, the ice at 0 C will get heated, changing to water at 0 C = Water getting cooled from 20 C to water at 0 C

I would find out when ice gets heated from -20 to 0 how much the water gets cooled.
Then I would find out what mass of ice is needed to cool the water from the new temperature to 0 C

Subtract from initial amount of ice to get amount of ice left

1. How does the melting of ice relate to thermodynamics?

The melting of ice is a thermodynamic process that involves the transfer of heat energy from the surroundings to the ice. This causes the ice to absorb enough energy to overcome its intermolecular forces and change from a solid to a liquid state.

2. What factors influence the melting of ice?

The melting of ice is influenced by several factors, including temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. Higher temperatures and lower pressures can accelerate the melting process, while the presence of impurities can lower the melting point of the ice.

3. Can the melting of ice be reversed?

Yes, the melting of ice can be reversed through a process called freezing. When the ice is exposed to temperatures below its freezing point, it will release heat energy back into the surroundings and change back into a solid state.

4. How does the melting point of ice change with different substances?

The melting point of ice can vary depending on the presence of different substances. For example, adding salt to ice can lower its melting point, while adding sugar can raise it. This is due to the interaction of these substances with the water molecules in the ice, which affects the amount of energy needed for the ice to melt.

5. What is the significance of the melting of ice in our daily lives?

The melting of ice has significant implications in our daily lives, as it is the primary process that allows us to use ice for cooling purposes. It also plays a crucial role in Earth's climate and weather patterns, as the melting of ice in polar regions can contribute to sea level rise and changes in ocean currents.