Find Parametric Equation for Line Parallel to Two Planes

In summary, the conversation discusses finding parametric equations for a line passing through a given point and parallel to two planes. The conversation includes an attempt at solving the problem and a confusion over the answer provided in the book. A quick method for finding a direction vector along the line of intersection is also mentioned.
knowLittle

Homework Statement

Find parametric equations for the line which passes through the point (1; 2; 3)
and is parallel to both of the planes 3x + y + 5z = 4 and z = 1 -2x.

I have seen the result for this problem, but it's different than mine. I'm not sure, what I'm doing wrong. Please, help.

The Attempt at a Solution

If the line is parallel to two planes, then the line must be orthogonal to both planes' normals.
First, I notice that the planes' normal are:
n1=(3,1,5) and n2=(2,0,1)

Then, the direction vector of the line is p=<a,b,c>
and since, the vector and the normals are orthogonal.
*Dot Products*
p.n1=0
p.n2=0

I get :
3a+b+5c=0
2a+0+c=0
Using determinants, I find that the direction of the line is: 1i+7j-2k
{x-x_{1}} over {1} ={y-y_{1}} over {7} ={z-z_{1}} over {-2} =t
or
(x-1)=(y+2)/7 =(z-3)/-2 =t ...where the values of the point passed are plugged in on the numerator.
So, my parametric equation yields:
x=t+1
y=7t-2
z=-2t+3

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome to pf!

hi knowLittle! welcome to pf! :smile:
knowLittle said:
Find parametric equations for the line which passes through the point (1; 2; 3)
and is parallel to both of the planes 3x + y + 5z = 4 and z = 1 -2x.

So, my parametric equation yields:
x=t+1
y=7t-2
z=-2t+3

looks ok (apart from the -2 in the y) …

maybe the book is using a different parameter (eg t+1)

what answer does the book give?

And you might notice that a quick way to get a direction vector along the line of intersection is to take the cross product of the normals.

This is the book's answer. It's very short and unclear.

1a: Take cross products of the displacement vectors to get a normal to plane P:
Cross [{0, 1, 2} - {1, 0, -1} , {1, 2, 3} - {0, 1, 2}]
{-2, 4, -2}
That gives an equation of the plane from the normal vector and a point:
-2x + 4(y - 1) - 2 (z - 2) ==0
-2 x + 4 (-1 + y) - 2 (-2 + z)==0

Also, I don't see any problem in the substraction of "2". It's the result of the determinant.

I'm confused … that seems to be a different question :confused:

LCKurtz said:
And you might notice that a quick way to get a direction vector along the line of intersection is to take the cross product of the normals.

I don't understand the cross product shown on the book.
My cross product of the normals give: 1i+ 7j-2k , where normal1=<3,1,5> && normal2=,2,0,1>

I think that you are right. The pages, where uploaded incorrectly by the staff. Wow.
Thank you all.

I think that you are right. The pages were uploaded incorrectly by the staff. Wow.
Thank you all.

What is the definition of a parametric equation for a line?

A parametric equation for a line is a set of equations that represents the position of every point on the line in terms of one or more parameters. This allows for a more flexible and general representation of the line compared to a standard equation in the form of y = mx + b.

How do you find the parametric equation for a line parallel to two planes?

To find the parametric equation for a line parallel to two planes, you can use the cross product between the normal vectors of the two planes. This will give you the direction vector of the line, which can then be used to form the parametric equation.

What is the significance of a line being parallel to two planes?

A line parallel to two planes is significant because it means that the line lies in the same direction as the normal vectors of both planes. This also means that the line will never intersect with either plane, making it a useful tool in solving problems involving planes and lines in three-dimensional space.

Can a line be parallel to more than two planes?

Yes, a line can be parallel to more than two planes. In fact, a line can be parallel to an infinite number of planes, as long as the line lies in the same direction as the normal vectors of those planes.

How can the parametric equation for a line parallel to two planes be used in real-world applications?

The parametric equation for a line parallel to two planes can be used in various real-world applications, such as in engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. It can also be used in physics and geometry to solve problems involving the intersection of planes and lines.