Solar Panel Wattage: Altitude Effects Explored

In summary, at the top of the troposphere, solar panels see a noticeable increase in wattage/cubic meter.
OtherRealm
At what altitude does a solar panel see a noticeable increase in wattage/cubic meter if it is lifted into the air? I understand the maximum is a bit over 1 kilowatt/meter2 at sea level (not actually converted to usable energy, this is much less and depends on the technology) but that this amount obviously increases as an object reaches the exosphere and beyond. Would there be a noticeable increase at say, 12km or at the top of the thermosphere?
I found one useful site: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~brooksdr/DRB_web_page/papers/UsingTheSun/using.htm but it is talking mainly theoretical. Does anyone know of studies that have been done to look at real life w/m^2 at various levels of elevation? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org

OtherRealm said:
At what altitude does a solar panel see a noticeable increase in wattage/cubic meter if it is lifted into the air? I understand the maximum is a bit over 1 kilowatt/meter2 at sea level (not actually converted to usable energy, this is much less and depends on the technology) but that this amount obviously increases as an object reaches the exosphere and beyond. Would there be a noticeable increase at say, 12km or at the top of the thermosphere?
I found one useful site: http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~brooksdr/DRB_web_page/papers/UsingTheSun/using.htm but it is talking mainly theoretical. Does anyone know of studies that have been done to look at real life w/m^2 at various levels of elevation? Thanks.

Welcome to the PF.

I googled Insolation Versus Altitude, which took me to a wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insolation
"Direct insolation is equal to the solar constant minus the atmospheric losses due to absorption and scattering."

Following the link for absorption got me here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_(electromagnetic_radiation )

which had a figure that linked to this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Atmospheric_electromagnetic_opacity.svg
"File:Atmospheric electromagnetic opacity.svg"

Does that figure help?

Last edited by a moderator:

OtherRealm said:
Would there be a noticeable increase at say, 12km or at the top of the thermosphere?
Only because that 12km altitude is still in the stratosphere. Once you get above the stratosphere you essentially have unfettered full sunlight.

Just using the key words insolation versus altitude has given a few more relevant results (goes to show that having the right search terms in research is key), but I have not found any hard numbers for solar wattage at the top of the troposphere (I mistakenly used thermosphere in my first post). Does anyone have weather balloon data or something of the like and measured insolation levels at this altitude? Thanks.

Thank you for your question. I can provide some insights on the effects of altitude on solar panel wattage.

Firstly, it is important to note that the maximum wattage per square meter of a solar panel is not solely determined by altitude, but also by other factors such as the angle of incidence of sunlight, atmospheric conditions, and the efficiency of the solar panel technology itself.

That being said, as altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and there is less atmospheric interference with the sunlight reaching the solar panel. This can result in a slight increase in wattage per cubic meter of the solar panel. However, this increase is not significant and may not be noticeable in real-life applications.

In fact, studies have shown that the increase in wattage per cubic meter at higher altitudes is minimal and may not be worth the cost and effort of lifting the solar panel into the air. Additionally, the decrease in temperature at higher altitudes can also affect the efficiency of the solar panel, potentially offsetting any increase in wattage.

As for specific studies on real-life wattage at different altitudes, there have been some research done in this area. For example, a study published in the Journal of Solar Energy Engineering looked at the effect of altitude on solar panel performance in the Himalayan region. The results showed a slight increase in wattage per square meter at higher altitudes, but the difference was not significant.

In conclusion, while there may be a slight increase in wattage per cubic meter at higher altitudes, the overall impact on solar panel performance is minimal and may not be worth the added cost and complexity. I hope this information helps.

What is solar panel wattage?

Solar panel wattage refers to the amount of power that a solar panel can produce under standard test conditions, typically measured in watts.

How does altitude affect solar panel wattage?

As altitude increases, the air becomes thinner and there is less atmospheric pressure. This can lead to a decrease in the efficiency of solar panels, as there is less air for the sunlight to pass through and less oxygen for the solar cells to use in converting sunlight into electricity.

Is there a specific altitude at which solar panel wattage is most affected?

Yes, the altitude at which solar panel wattage is most affected varies depending on factors such as the type of solar panel and the location. However, generally speaking, the decrease in efficiency starts to become noticeable at altitudes above 2,000 meters (6,500 feet).

Can solar panels still work at high altitudes?

Yes, solar panels can still work at high altitudes. While they may experience a decrease in efficiency, they can still produce electricity and can be a viable source of renewable energy in these regions.

Are there ways to improve solar panel efficiency at high altitudes?

Yes, there are some strategies that can be used to improve solar panel efficiency at high altitudes. These include using solar panels with higher efficiency ratings, adjusting the tilt angle of the panels to optimize for the angle of the sun at that altitude, and incorporating cooling systems to help mitigate the effects of the thinner air.