Heat Transfer into a heat reservoir

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with estimating the amount of heat flowing out of a metal bar in a system with a given current. They plan to balance the power in and out of the bar, but are unsure how to calculate the conduction into the substrate and air. They also mention the effects of convection and the use of Fourier's law, but are unsure how to calculate the temperature gradient. They are seeking suggestions and acknowledging the potential impact of temperature on the resistance of the conductor.
R_A_H
I've got a problem with calculating (estimating) how much heat is flowing out of a metal bar in the following system; it seems like it should be simple but I can't see where to go with it.

System:
A small metal bar with length l=2.5mm, width w=0.2mm, thickness t=0.2μm with resistance R is on a substrate, with the rest of the material open to the air.
I want to work out what temperature the bar will be with a given current I flowing through it (and conversely what current is needed to maintain it at a temperature T).

My thoughts are to balance the power in and out of the bar.
I've got
$$P_{in}=I^2R$$
$$P_{out}=P_{blackbody} + P_{air} + P_{substrate}$$

I can calculate the blackbody radiation power fine (using an emissivity of 0.1), but I'm not sure how to calculate the conduction into the substrate and air.

I only need an estimate, so I was thinking of ignoring the effects of convection, and just treating the air and the substrate as heat reservoirs.
This is looking at short timescales (less than 1 second really), so I was thinking of ignoring heating of the air and substrate, assuming that they stay at room temperature.

My main problem comes from the fact that Fourier's law, q=-kdT/dx requires a temperature gradient, which I have no idea how to calculate. Approximating the gradient as ΔT/Δx requires some characteristic length scale, which I'm not sure how to approach.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can estimate this, or point out some flaw in my reasoning (bearing in mind that this is only a rough estimate)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Please note that temperature will change the resistance of the conductor.

1. What is a heat reservoir?

A heat reservoir is a large body of material with a constant temperature that is used to absorb or release heat in a heat transfer process. It is assumed to have an infinite heat capacity and therefore does not experience a change in temperature when heat is transferred into or out of it.

2. How does heat transfer into a heat reservoir?

Heat can transfer into a heat reservoir through conduction, convection, or radiation. In conduction, heat is transferred through direct contact between the heat reservoir and another object. In convection, heat is transferred through the movement of a fluid or gas. In radiation, heat is transferred through electromagnetic waves.

3. What factors affect heat transfer into a heat reservoir?

The rate of heat transfer into a heat reservoir is affected by the temperature difference between the reservoir and the object transferring heat, the thermal conductivity of the materials involved, and the surface area of contact between the two objects.

4. How is the efficiency of heat transfer into a heat reservoir measured?

The efficiency of heat transfer into a heat reservoir is measured by the Carnot efficiency, which is the ratio of the work output to the heat input. It is calculated by dividing the temperature difference between the hot and cold reservoirs by the temperature of the hot reservoir.

5. What is the purpose of transferring heat into a heat reservoir?

Transferring heat into a heat reservoir allows for the storage and redistribution of thermal energy. This is useful in many industrial and technological processes, such as power generation and refrigeration, as it allows for the efficient use of heat energy.