Nuclear engineering with aerospace background

In summary, while an aerospace engineering background may not be ideal for a career in nuclear engineering, it is valuable and there are many challenges that can be explored with a degree in aerospace engineering.
bass_cannon
Hello,

I am a student in physics engineering and I would like to work as a nuclear engineering later on in my career but we don't have a proper atomic and nuclear physics concentration in my program. We have optics, aerospace engineering and materials science that come as close candidates as a replacement, so I was wondering if you guys think I'm making a good decision by going in aerospace engineering concentration. I was thinking that maybe the knowledge that I will get concerning thermal reactors and thermal reactions could prove useful for nuclear engineering.

Ideally I will go for a master's degree in nuclear engineering at a university that offers it. But for the moment I wonder if an employer in nuclear engineering would appreciate hiring an engineer with both aerospace/mechanical engineering and atomic and nuclear physics background.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am also wondering if nuclear engineering will still be in vogue considering what has happened with Fukushima. Do you think the interest in nuclear power will rise again in a few years or should I really consider another career?

bass_cannon said:
I am also wondering if nuclear engineering will still be in vogue considering what has happened with Fukushima. Do you think the interest in nuclear power will rise again in a few years or should I really consider another career?

Nuclear power is here to stay. We don't even have a viable alternative to creating the energy we need. The problem is public perception and the fact that people fear what they don't really understand. I think we need to build better reactors, something a long the lines of the liquid fluoride thorium reactors. Look these up. Then we also have the ultimate power which is a type of nuclear reaction.Fusion. My point, you will find a job somewhere, whether that be a power plant, or government agency or whatever. I'm a nuclear engineering student

bass_cannon said:
Hello,

I am a student in physics engineering and I would like to work as a nuclear engineering later on in my career but we don't have a proper atomic and nuclear physics concentration in my program. We have optics, aerospace engineering and materials science that come as close candidates as a replacement, so I was wondering if you guys think I'm making a good decision by going in aerospace engineering concentration. I was thinking that maybe the knowledge that I will get concerning thermal reactors and thermal reactions could prove useful for nuclear engineering.

Ideally I will go for a master's degree in nuclear engineering at a university that offers it. But for the moment I wonder if an employer in nuclear engineering would appreciate hiring an engineer with both aerospace/mechanical engineering and atomic and nuclear physics background.

Thanks
In the absence of atomic and nuclear physics or undergraduate nuclear engineering, a background in aerospace engineering and materials science would be valuable.

While I majored in nuclear engineering (after having majored in nuclear/astrophysics), I took a number of courses in aerospace engineering, electrical engineering and materials science.

Some of the big challenges involve materials, particularly radiation effects and corrosion. Advanced reactors often involve higher temperatures which means a more aggressive environment for materials. For materials, a hot, relatively new area is 'phase field theory' and 'atomic/molecular dynamics'. For older reactors, Gen II and Gen III, materials aging and degradation is a key area of interest. For nuclear fuel, the effects of long term dry storage and eventual disposition are areas of interest, as is the matter of 'accident tolerant' nuclear fuel.

for your question! As a scientist with a background in nuclear engineering and aerospace, I can say that your decision to pursue an aerospace engineering concentration is a good one. While atomic and nuclear physics may not be a direct part of your program, the knowledge and skills you will gain in thermal reactors and reactions will definitely be applicable to nuclear engineering.

In fact, many aspects of aerospace engineering, such as propulsion systems and materials science, have direct relevance to nuclear engineering. Additionally, the problem-solving and critical thinking skills you will develop in your aerospace engineering courses will also be valuable in the field of nuclear engineering.

Employers in the nuclear engineering industry will definitely appreciate your background in both aerospace/mechanical engineering and atomic and nuclear physics. It shows that you have a well-rounded education and a diverse skill set, which is highly desirable in this field. Pursuing a master's degree in nuclear engineering will further enhance your qualifications and make you a strong candidate for job opportunities in this field.

Overall, you are making a wise decision by combining your interests in aerospace and nuclear engineering. I wish you the best of luck in your future studies and career pursuits!

1. What is nuclear engineering with aerospace background?

Nuclear engineering with aerospace background is a specialized field that combines principles of nuclear engineering with aerospace technology. It involves the design, development, and operation of nuclear-powered systems that are used in the aerospace industry, such as nuclear-powered spacecraft.

2. What are the applications of nuclear engineering in aerospace?

Nuclear engineering has several applications in aerospace, including the development of nuclear-powered propulsion systems for long-distance space travel, power generation for space stations and colonies, and the use of nuclear energy for advanced space exploration and research missions.

3. What skills are required for a career in nuclear engineering with aerospace background?

To pursue a career in nuclear engineering with aerospace background, one needs to have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Additionally, knowledge of nuclear physics, thermodynamics, and space systems is essential. Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills are also important.

4. What are the potential challenges in nuclear engineering with aerospace background?

One of the main challenges in this field is ensuring the safety and reliability of nuclear-powered systems in space. This includes designing systems that can withstand the harsh conditions of outer space and developing effective radiation shielding to protect astronauts and equipment. Another challenge is the high cost and complexity of developing and maintaining nuclear-powered systems.

5. How is nuclear engineering with aerospace background contributing to space exploration?

Nuclear engineering with aerospace background is playing a crucial role in advancing space exploration by providing more efficient and powerful propulsion systems, enabling longer and faster space missions. It is also helping to reduce the reliance on traditional fuels and make space travel more sustainable in the long run. Additionally, nuclear-powered systems have the potential to power future space settlements and colonies, making human space exploration and colonization a more viable possibility.