Career Guidance for Applied Math Ph.D.

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their career path as a 2nd year graduate student in applied math. They are considering alternative options to an academic career and are interested in potential career paths, improving their chances, and finding a stable and lucrative career. They also mention their interest in moving to New York in the future. They are already spending time coding and are wondering about internships and the difficulty of finding an interesting position. The main factor for their career options will be their skills and what they can offer employers.
tobefree
Hi all,
I am hoping to get some advice re: my career path. I have lurked these threads for a bit and I can see there's quite a bit of wisdom here, but I am hoping to get some particularly tailored to my situation. I am a 2nd year grad student at a top-10 applied math Ph.D. program, but I am beginning to rethink an academic career path. I like the university setting but I don't know if I want to spend the rest of my life here, and I am not interested in years chasing postdocs only to be denied tenure in 10 years. I would like to explore alternative (i.e. industry) career options for when I finish my Ph.D-- I like my current program and I enjoy my research but I think I might be done when I graduate. My research is in PDEs and ODEs.
Can anyone give me a rundown on potential career paths and what I can do in grad school to improve my chances? I already spend quite a bit of time coding. I am interested in moving to NY eventually because my girlfriend wants to settle down there. Ideally, I would like a career that is engaging, relatively stable, and somewhat lucrative. What is the time frame for internships, etc? How hard will it be for me to find some kind of interesting position? What are the downsides?

Thank you all for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org

1. What career options are available for someone with an Applied Math Ph.D.?

The career options for someone with an Applied Math Ph.D. are diverse and varied. Some common career paths include research and development in industries such as finance, technology, and engineering, as well as roles in academia, government agencies, and consulting firms. Other potential career options include data science, statistical analysis, and operations research.

2. How can I best prepare for a career in industry with an Applied Math Ph.D.?

To prepare for a career in industry, it is important to gain practical skills and experience in addition to your academic knowledge. Consider internships or co-op opportunities in relevant industries, and seek out courses or workshops in areas such as programming, data analysis, and project management. Networking and building connections with professionals in your desired field can also be beneficial.

3. Are there opportunities for Applied Math Ph.D. holders in non-technical fields?

Yes, there are opportunities for Applied Math Ph.D. holders in non-technical fields. Employers in fields such as finance, healthcare, and consulting value the problem-solving and analytical skills of those with an Applied Math background. It may be helpful to highlight transferable skills and relevant coursework on your resume when applying for these types of positions.

4. Is a postdoctoral position necessary after completing an Applied Math Ph.D.?

A postdoctoral position is not necessary after completing an Applied Math Ph.D., but it can be beneficial for gaining additional research experience and expanding your professional network. It may also be helpful for those interested in pursuing a career in academia, as postdoctoral positions can provide teaching experience and help establish a research portfolio.

5. How can I stay updated on job opportunities in the field of Applied Math?

To stay updated on job opportunities in the field of Applied Math, it can be helpful to join professional organizations and attend conferences or networking events. Additionally, regularly checking job boards and websites specific to your field can help you stay informed of new job openings. Networking with professionals in your field can also provide valuable insights and potential job leads.